Gotta love them flippy caps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, if the flip caps are too complicated to operate for some of you, I'm not sure what else could be sad.

You grab the flip cap and insert into the hole and turn it until it seats properly.

That is the simple version of the directions. If it is more complicated than that, then you all have a different approach viewing and operating modern and more effecient ways of plugging the hole in a chainsaw tank.

Heck, I would complain about the complexities of having to throw the chainsaw in one direction, while pulling the cord handle in the oppposite or setting the choke, before I complained about the simple flip cap.

Its possible that Stihl in its wisdom, provided the "simple", I mean, "complex" operating system of the flip cap to weed out a certain group of chainsaw operators?

It could be part of a complex evaluation process for the government or something who knows?

I was simply too inexperienced or just plain dumb to figure out just how complex the flip cap was operate, much less operate properly.

To each his own,

Sam

I had no idea there was such hostility on this site.

It is sometimes hard to get the little catch to engage properly, esp. when there is oil on the flange. I'm happy for you that you are so perfect that your flippy caps always go on properly. I'm sorry that it is a problem for you that mine do not.

I've only had "flippy" problems on the 200. Never on a 460 or 440.

What was wrong with the screwy ones? If it aint broke, don't step on it.

Last edited:
Wow, if the flip caps are too complicated to operate for some of you, I'm not sure what else could be sad.

You grab the flip cap and insert into the hole and turn it until it seats properly.

That is the simple version of the directions. If it is more complicated than that, then you all have a different approach viewing and operating modern and more effecient ways of plugging the hole in a chainsaw tank.

Heck, I would complain about the complexities of having to throw the chainsaw in one direction, while pulling the cord handle in the oppposite or setting the choke, before I complained about the simple flip cap.

Its possible that Stihl in its wisdom, provided the "simple", I mean, "complex" operating system of the flip cap to weed out a certain group of chainsaw operators?

It could be part of a complex evaluation process for the government or something who knows?

I was simply too inexperienced or just plain dumb to figure out just how complex the flip cap was operate, much less operate properly.

To each his own,

Sam

In Theory I would agree LOL.

However, the saws are GERMAN. Meaning why use one singular part with threads, when 4 parts will do? It's gotta be better with more moving parts right? Anvils and Bolts are unreliable because they are too simple....Obviously.
Give a German engineer 20 Min. with a Hammer, and it will soon have 4 reciprocating appendages, and a Heim Joint on each.LOL!!!
It's why we Love 'em! They make stuff that shouldn't work, work very well! LOL! Mostly. The Flippy caps are a complete FAIL However, possibly too few moving parts.:D

Here's the scenario.

The Oil cap upper half has a "Stay" that is cammed over when the lower half seats upon turning. If that "Stay" gets worn, or blocked by saw chips, dirt or whatever that NEVER happens around the sterile environment of woodcutting, the lower cap half ends up slightly out of alignment with the upper half, and will NOT fully seat, but feel and look like it.

Then when ya pick the saw up and take 2-3 steps back to cut, ya feel wet stuff on your pant leg because the flippy cap cammed over and locked without engaging the mortices in the tank.:censored::censored::censored:

The cure is to always remember to rotate the lower half of the :censored: flippy cap, fully counterclockwise before reinstalling after each fill.

Sure ya can replace 'em, but why? They end up doing the same thing after a while anyhow, and catch ya unaware when they do.
It's easier to just give 'em a twist check, and accept it's just a German design enhancement, and an artfull conveyance of the wonderfull Germanic tradition of overcomplication.;)

Oh and Umm. Have encountered the Boot soaking flippys on MS-250,270,440, and it wasn't just me with Oil soaked boot..;)

Good Saws, Great chains, STOOOPID cap design.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Can't say I love 'em but I don't hate 'em. Only problem I have had is when the saw is new and they are still stiff. Had the problem with both the 310 and 361. Wound up with the classic oily leg syndrome twice on my new 361 the first couple times I used it. Never since.

IMO it is a solution to a nonexestant problem.

Harry K

I don't have any problem with those caps.

My Makita though my bleeds like a stuck pig when in not in use.

:confused:

The issue is on the oil cap when you accidently over fill it and there is oil on the inside of the engagement surface, and I could not get teh fricking thing to engage until I wiped the dam engagement surface out with a rag. I have been running saws a while, I am not an idiot, I know how to put the dam things on. But the oil cap on the smaller saws gives me trouble. These things are unnecessary. The old 026 I had for years had a nice screw in cap thatstuck out far enough to get a grip on. Need to have a scrench to keep the chain properly tensioned, so wtf is the problem keeping a scrench handy?

you have to know when to stop filling the saw. it is the same principle with screw caps or flip caps. with screw caps i never know whether i need the scrench or not to remove the caps and whether i have the screw caps on tight enough. you don't have that problem with the flip caps.

i understand that some think this is overthinking a basic function, but in my use i appreciate this ease of use. my brother and i were having this same discussion this past weekend as we were sawing wood. btw fwiw teach, he's in your camp. then again, i had to bring him kicking and screaming into the computer age. now he uses one as much and almost as well as i do!!

:)

The issue is on the oil cap when you accidently over fill it and there is oil on the inside of the engagement surface, and I could not get teh fricking thing to engage until I wiped the dam engagement surface out with a rag. I have been running saws a while, I am not an idiot, I know how to put the dam things on. But the oil cap on the smaller saws gives me trouble. These things are unnecessary. The old 026 I had for years had a nice screw in cap thatstuck out far enough to get a grip on. Need to have a scrench to keep the chain properly tensioned, so wtf is the problem keeping a scrench handy?

I agree. Stihl thinks it is a lot of fun to cause trouble, especially in a downpour of liquid sunshine. Not only overfilling, but those little flippy thingies get out of adjustment, and you have to fiddle with the cap before attempting to get it to go back in--more fun in the woods. I've got an oilslicked shirt back, an oilslicked tailgate, there's been spills in the woods...:chainsaw::chainsaw:

Well, clearly there are those who have little to no problems with the cap and those who have to pull out the operator's manual to figure out how to use them, and then can't get it right.

Again, those witty Germans have probably just designed a simple toolless system just for the expressed interest of splitting those who can from those that can't.

I wonder if those that can't figure out how to properly and easily use the flip cap, have a higher or lower IQ, mechanical abilities, eye - hand coordination or education. It would be interesting to find out. Because the system is the same and is quite simple, so it is kinda like a quick little measuring bar for incompetence.

Possibly logging bosses use the flippy cap as a measuring tool to hire people.

For instance:

Give them the screw in capped saw, and ask them to install the cap. Then rate that operation on a scale of 1-10.

Give them the flippy cap, and ask them to install the cap. If they just stand there with a dumb look on their face like a jungle native would at a solar powered, digital watch, then they know they should NOT hire them.

If they attempt to try and figure out the incredibly complex system and thought processes behind operation of the flippy cap they get a 5, and so on.

If they just grab the cap and within about 2 seconds install it and look back at you in full confidence, you know you gotta hire them, perfect score a 10.

Quite interesting,

Sam

This is probably the most valuable post I've ever did here.

I too hated these caps at first. Why it's the oil cap only is beyond me.

I took these pics of a gas cap just now, so I wouldn't get oil all over my fingers.

One day after getting pissed off about it. I thought...OK let's check this out, something is wrong here and it ain't crap in the threads or over filling.

Here it is guys...

The cap should look like this when you put it back in.
0420090822.jpg

When it is giving you trouble, look at it and you will see it will look like this.
0420090821.jpg

One counterclockwise turn holding the top and bottom will snap it back together and it will go right in.

Now my help and I know what to look for and never have a problem with them.

When you do get it to go on right, it's because without knowing it, it popped back down in place.
Hold the cap with both hands and turn it and you'll see what it's doing and what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
I've personally had more gallons of 2-cycle and/or B & C oil dumped on my right pant leg/boots than I care to remember...until they went to the flippy caps.

After that even my groundmen could figure out how to put the cap on correctly. :)

I too hated these caps at first. Why it's the oil cap only is beyond me.

I took these pics of a gas cap just now, so I wouldn't get oil all over my fingers.

One day after getting pissed off about it. I thought...OK let's check this out, something is wrong here and it ain't crap in the threads or over filling.

Here it is guys...

The cap should look like this when you put it back in.
0420090822.jpg

When it is giving you trouble, look at it and you will see it will look like this.
0420090821.jpg

One counterclockwise turn holding the top and bottom will snap it back together and it will go right in.

Now my help and I know what to look for and never have a problem with them.

When you do get it to go on right, it's because without knowing it, it popped back down in place.
Hold the cap with both hands and turn it and you'll see what it's doing and what I'm talking about.

Thanks, Raymond. I never thought to look at it like that. Makes sense, because usually I can put it in, turn it, feel it engage, flip the tab down. Sometimes it's like it won't engage, no matter how I insert the cap. Strange design. It is nice when they go in right. I agree they are more secure when they lock in correctly.

Flippy caps= Stihl leg oilers.

They work better if you dont over fill the tank but I only have two modes, half full or over full.

A marvelous answer to a non-existent problem is what they are.

Just ruined a brand new pair of jeans yesterday filling the oil tank on my 460 for my brother to borrow the saw. What a mess. I Hate those flip caps makes it almost worth while to buy a 660 to get the real caps. I describe those caps in my daily routine as CONSTANT ADVERSITY!

Love em and hate em....

Gotta make sure you have them seated down and twist....Arrow lined with slot......
I got a crotch full of premix cause I was in a hurry,,,and thats not fun to spend the rest of your day cutting......
They are nice to bypass using a scrench for a tight fuel or oil cap,,but then again,,I ALWAYS have my scrench with me....

Back