Gotta love them flippy caps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flippy caps= Stihl leg oilers.

They work better if you dont over fill the tank but I only have two modes, half full or over full.

A marvelous answer to a non-existent problem is what they are.

???? They work whether they are in open air, under water, under oil, under gas, full of chips or covered in chips.

It doesn't matter if the tank is full or not or overfilled they work.

The fact that this is being discussed is disturbing. Its akin to saying you can't figure out how to put the choke on or that the choke is too complicated, because its not a wire with a push and pull arrow on it, Holly cow people.

It is a "flipping cap" for god's sake, LOL, admitting on a public forum that you can't consistently "figure it out", does nothing to promote your family line or genetic history.

There is the safety police and then those that will make things more complicated even if its just for conversation, Why?

Stands in amazement,

Sam

Man, that engineer who came up with these little flip caps on Stihl saws sure oughta have to clean up my shoe and my shop floor. I was in a hurry to get to a small project at a community garden, so, as is my habit on a small job, I fueled and oiled the 200T. Small oil tank overfills easily. Whatever, I wipe it of and put the cap on. Thought I got it on right. I always start a saw before I take it somewhere, to make sure it starts. Then I see the oil cap on the floor, and a puddle of oil on the floor and on my shoe. YOu know, if you need a toolless cap, why not a flip-up flange that you use to unscrew the cap. The helical inclined plane known as a threaded fitting has been around for many years, and it still works just fine. I don't care what anyone says. Those new flippy caps SUCK!!!

Notice the new 660 doesn't have them. There is a reason for that. It is a logger saw. Loggers don't like them little flip caps, simple as that.

I'd rep you if I could, fellow Ulsterite! ;)
I have felt your pain (or greasy foot in this case) many a time from an MS200T! :laugh:
I still like the caps though, it just takes repetition and care to avoid spillage!

I hate the bloody flippy caps. I to figured out how to put them on after wearing oil a few times and have no problems with them now (except for having to take the extra few seconds of making sure they are seated properly). I won't claim to be a genius but the flippy caps are more complicated than the old screw in caps and take more time to fool with when you are trying to get the job done quickly. I don't agree with the IQ litmus test. I scored 146 on my college IQ test and I encountered problems with the caps. Sure I figured it out and moved on but I still have to take time to get them properly seated at times. I am practically the only one who can get either cap to seat properly on my 200. Ever had come down out of the tree to put the caps on your saw because your groundman can't get the caps to seat properly? Frustrating to say the least. I don't need a genius to hump heavy logs and brush and shouldn't have to hire one to put gas and oil caps on my saws. I prefer the old screw caps. I never needed a scrench except on the rare occaision when the cap would get vapor locked. I never used a scrench to put them on. Finger tight does the trick. Screw caps are more user friendly, dummy proof and make for better production in the long run. If you do this stuff fo a living you shouldn't have loss of production due to something as stupid as over engineered gas and oil caps.

I like em, they've been simple and reliable for me. The only trouble I've had was due to overfilling the tank. Spooged a little oil onto the saw/ trailer but didn't prevent the cap from sealing.

I don't agree with the IQ litmus test. I scored 146 on my college IQ test and I encountered problems with the caps.
If you do this stuff fo a living you shouldn't have loss of production due to something as stupid as over engineered gas and oil caps.

Mercy, imagine the IQ's or common sense in an applicational sense of those that wouldn't or don't have a problem with them.

I must have hired smarter people, still never had a problem, heck my little boy when he was 7 and little girl when she was 6, was filling the oil and gas tanks up and capping them. I've got regular genuis's on my hands now.

Life is looking good, as I thought they were just common in the smarts department, but thanks to a simple Flip Cap, I know that the sky is the limit smartwise with them.

Thank you, Stihl,

Sam

To Slamm: When you get a flip cap that DOESN't work like it's supposed to, then you'll see where all of the oily legs/boots/backs/tailgates comments come from. My oiler flip cap is a PITA every time I put it back on - see Teacherman's pics for the reason. Maybe after I graduate from FlipCap 101, 201, & 301 I'll be able to figure out the flipcaps. Or maybe a few of us have poorly functioning caps.

To Teacherman: Stihl's "new & improved" design shouldn't have to require 2 hands to operate, but thanks for the pics and I'll watch for that going forward.

To DingerYote & Butch(OH) - EXACTLY! Who doesn't have their scrench handy? I find myself reaching for my 026 Pro for the smaller cuts (14" & less) if more than 1 fuel up is necessary due to the ease of the filler caps. Sounds like maybe I have 1 bad flipcap and will order one to see if that fixes things. Haven't got my leg/boot/back yet, but coated a stump in bar oil while "learning" how to use the flipcap.

IQ is almost irrelevant. i have a BIL that scored 1600 SAT many years ago and has a high 160's IQ. he graduated at the top of his Ga Tech class in chemical engineering. he then went to law school and is a highly specialized lawyer. (i just wanted to establish his credential as intelligent). he can't pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel. thankfully he married my almost equally smart, but way more common-sensesical sister. he now has a whole herd of very smart and successful kids.

and about flip caps: if you can't figure out when to stop pouring, you will have problems with either style. i do wish they had a flange and were not designed flush with the fluid tank cases.

IQ is almost irrelevant. i have a BIL that scored 1600 SAT many years ago and has a high 160's IQ. he graduated at the top of his Ga Tech class in chemical engineering. he then went to law school and is a highly specialized lawyer. (i just wanted to establish his credential as intelligent). he can't pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel.

Please take him a Stihl saw with the flip caps and see if he can correctly and consistently operate one.

This is something that needs further research.

Correct operation of the flip cap might be a sign of intelligence on a whole new level, possibly a more operational level or something.

Can we get a government grant for this?

Sam

Only a moron would think he needs an award for figuring out how to operate a piss poor designed oil cap or think that being able to operate one has any bearing on it being a piss poor design.

Wow, looks like this issue has really struck a nerve with you Slamm. If you dont have anything constructive to say, or even somewhat interesting other than bashing on and on about Teach and I being 'incompetent'. OK, I understand, you've got it all figured out, good for you.

I agree when they're locked and in place, they're great, they never leak. Once in a while (this has only happened to me twice in the time I've had my saws), you lock em down, or so you think, and when you pick up the saw the cap falls out. Obviously, this has never happened to Slamm.

IQ does not equal common sense. I'm sure many of us have encountered highly educated, smart people that aren't worth a dam at anything mechanical.

Fact is that there is a common thread with many users of the new flippy caps. Maybe some of you guys are just so blessed with mechanical ability that you have never encountered a problem or you use them so infrequently around the house and not had to let ham fisted ground men run or fill your saws. More power to you. However, my experience is that I have encountered problems with them and have not met a treeman out in the field yet who likes the new caps. That's just what I have experienced and seen on the ground.

Okay, sorry, they are dumb, I'm retrofitting mine to the screw in caps. I will make an adaptor and get back with you guys.

Sam

Only a moron would think he needs an award for figuring out how to operate a piss poor designed oil cap or think that being able to operate one has any bearing on it being a piss poor design.

No you are wrong, if you have ever had a flippy cap come off you are of low IQ and faulty family history.

The master has spoken ya know?:chainsawguy:

Does anyone give the cap a tug before flipping the lever down? Might sound like a PITA but once you get in the habit you won't even think about it and from the sounds of things it could save a pair of pants or two.

Does anyone give the cap a tug before flipping the lever down? Might sound like a PITA but once you get in the habit you won't even think about it and from the sounds of things it could save a pair of pants or two.

Absolutely. Better believe I have learned to double check after wearing oil a few times. That is besides the point. I can't always be the one to fill and run my saws. When it slows down production time because your ground help has trouble with the caps, has to refill the oil because they were in a hurry and didn't double check or worse, send a saw up to you without double checking and you have to wear oil the rest of the day it becomes and issue. Stihl tried to reinvent the wheel on this one and flubbed the dub.

wood,

That's part of the issue. Partial engagement before camming over the flipper.

Like I explained, and was illustrated in the photos posted, the lower half of the assembly must be bottomed out on the top half of the assembly or only partial engagement of the locking surfaces is achieved when reinstalling.

You can pull on it, and it will appear to be seated/engaged as it partially is.
Sneaky plan to sell more Bar oil... it's a conspiracy!! LOL

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The oil cap on the MS200 is a real pain. It is small and very difficult to seat properly, No matter how much experience you have with stihl flippy caps, the oil cap on the ms200 will give you a run for your money. If you overfill the tank, it is almost impossible to get the cap on without removing some oil. It is a really poor design on an otherwise stellar chainsaw.

Please take him a Stihl saw with the flip caps and see if he can correctly and consistently operate one.

This is something that needs further research.

Correct operation of the flip cap might be a sign of intelligence on a whole new level, possibly a more operational level or something.

Can we get a government grant for this?

Sam

that wouldn't prove much. a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then. give him 6000 pages of IRS policy and he can give you the skinny on it in a day. need to plan how to disperse you multi-million dollar estate when you are no longer amongst the living so that you good-for-nothing son doesn't have to pay inheritance taxes?? he's your guy. common sense, every day stuff???? i would rather take my chances with a 6th grade drop out!!

that wouldn't prove much. a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then. give him 6000 pages of IRS policy and he can give you the skinny on it in a day. need to plan how to disperse you multi-million dollar estate when you are no longer amongst the living so that you good-for-nothing son doesn't have to pay inheritance taxes?? he's your guy. common sense, every day stuff???? i would rather take my chances with a 6th grade drop out!!

Maybe thats why my kids have the whole flip cap thing figured out, they are just in 2nd and 3rd grade. Who knows?

Sam

Latest posts

Back