Grade my purchse?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alessio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

(My apologies if this should have been posted in recreational climbing)

For having close to zero experience and even less knowledge I feel pretty good about this list.

Silky Ibuki 390 Hand Saw
Petzl Cordex Rope Gloves
Kask Super Plasma Helmet
Edelrid Rope Caddy
Petzl Jet Throw Weight
Buckingham Mini Line Mug
Yale Long Shot Throw Line
Yale Maxi-Flip Sport System - 10' System
ISC HMS Non-Locking Carabiner
Petzl Caritool
Buckingham Tear Away Chainsaw Lanyard - Steel Ring
TreeMotion Harness
Tree Climber's Companion
DMM Aero Bent Carabiner
ISC HMS SuperSafe Carabiner
Rock Exotica RockD Carabiner
Rock Exotica Pirate Carabiner
Petzl Am'D Triact Carabiner
Ocean Polyester Split Tail
Samson Velocity "Cool" 11mm Climbing Rope - Eye Splice
Samson Velocity "Cool" 11mm Climbing Rope - 150' Length
Metolius Crag Station Climbing Pack
Anchor Bridge Climbing System
DMM Aluminum Anchor Ring - 40mm Ring

I climbed a summer for Casey Roland in the mid 90's and based most of this list on memory.
I will be installing a line of sight internet connection from the top of the residence on a hill down to the winery's rooftop in the valley and there are thirteen 30' live oaks that will need to have about 3' taken off their tops. I'll probably take 6' to give my self a few years in between trimming.
I could have sub'd this out but I wanted have the equipment for attending to the occasional broken limb and also acquiring fledgling hawks for falconry.

I plan on climbing drt with a Blake's hitch (I've been tying it for a few weeks so I'm confident it won't be a suicide hitch). Here is where I'd like your advice. (The Tree Climber's Companion along with all the above gear arrived today and I'll start reading tonight).

To start, should I tie the climb line to the floating bridge and use the tail to tie the Blake's hitch and figure 8 stopper? I've seen a ton of videos where people tie their climb line to their saddle with a Bowline. That doesn't seem like a safe use of a Bowline to me, what would you guys tie there? I've also seen people tie in with a Clove hitch which at least seems better than Bowline but to me an anchor hitch seems better than either of those. Or should I save my climbline and start with putting a carabiner through the climbline's tight eye and onto the floating bridge. Then put another ring on the floating bridge to attach a second carabiner for the split tail's tight eye and use that to tie my Blake's hitch?

Also with this configuration would you footlock or F the sky to ascend?

Thank you for any and all advice (aside from hire an arborist).

Last edited:
Read your Tree Climber's Companion. Read it several times.
You got a heck of a lot of gear for climbing 30' trees; a 20 - 24' ladder would replace 90% of it for what you are doing.
A Petzl or CMI foot ascender might make your life easier.
Please also familiarize yourself with proper pruning techniques so that you don't commit hackery in the tree tops.

You got a heck of a lot of gear for climbing 30' trees; a 20 - 24' ladder would replace 90% of it for what you are doing.

Some of the trees are larger, the hillside has a 70 degree slope and I don't see many raptor nests 30' off the ground.

Please also familiarize yourself with proper pruning techniques so that you don't commit hackery in the tree tops.

I'm pretty dialed on pruning. I've gone back and looked at a lot of my cuts and the collars have closed up nicely. Not a bad idea though, I'm sure there are new thoughts and techniques out there, I'll read up on it.

The antenna / dish / receiver thingy on the winery rooftop couldn't just be raised 6'? Guess not...

The antenna / dish / receiver thingy on the winery rooftop couldn't just be raised 6'? Guess not...

I feel so silly right now. Do you think Luke @ Tree Stuff will take all of this back? Kidding... the mansion and winery are Michael Graves designed structures with historical significance so no "hey what's that" stuff can be mounted or attached to them. By mounting the equipment atop the turrets they will have a clear line of sight to one another but be invisible from the ground.

Doing tree work on a 70 degree mountain goat slope sounds sporty. :msp_scared:
Hope you are charging an outrageous amount of $$$.
Please post some photos!

Some nice kit! Silky saw shows that you're serious. Do you have a cambium saver or friction saver? (maybe I missed it) Get an extra throw bag.
Search the net and buy some books related to tree assessment and tree biology. A little info could keep you alive or improve work quality.
Study that guide, inspect the gear, do some low non-working climbs, don't climb alone.
Single loop foot lock is handy single lock foot loop or single loop foot lock - YouTube

How about putting up a TV tower instead of topping some live oaks wich add to the properties $ value and historical value. Here on some of the lake homes on Lake Geneva you need to clear a lot of red tape before you can even touch some of the trees that are on the historical register, and topping them would never be allowed.

How about putting up a TV tower instead of topping some live oaks wich add to the properties $ value and historical value. Here on some of the lake homes on Lake Geneva you need to clear a lot of red tape before you can even touch some of the trees that are on the historical register, and topping them would never be allowed.

They have all been topped twice in the past 25 years for view's sake. We have had every type of business internet provider out here and this is the only option that will work/make sense. Although @om@ast said if we pay for them bury a line that would tie in 7 miles away we'd be good to go.

Some nice kit! Silky saw shows that you're serious.

Or that I like shiny objects.

Do you have a cambium saver or friction saver? (maybe I missed it)

I'll look that up.

Get an extra throw bag.

I got this one because it was small and clips onto your saddle for repositioning. What scenario would a second one come in handy? Sorry drawing a blank.

Search the net and buy some books related to tree assessment and tree biology. A little info could keep you alive or improve work quality.
Study that guide, inspect the gear, do some low non-working climbs, don't climb alone.
Single loop foot lock is handy. Single lock foot loop or single loop foot lock -

Good idea, thank you. I'm going to do several rec. ascents over the next few weeks before I incorporate a chainsaw.

Your either kidding, too stupid to climb or a troll... I am going with troll.

:notrolls2:

lol What a #####. You're either a complete waste of space, too stupid to articulately convey your thoughts and feelings or just found out your wife is cheating on you... I am going with all three, and it's "you're" not "your". Thanks for the warm welcome.

Last edited:
lol What a #####. You're either a complete waste of space, too stupid to articulately convey your thoughts and feelings or just found out your wife is cheating on you... I am going with all three, and it's "you're" not "your". Thanks for the warm welcome.

well that narrows it down to choice two or three. Since you do not have enough knowledge to know why you would need more then 1 throw bag you have no business climbing and cutting a tree. But you go right ahead Ill be looking for a post about you in the tree related injuries & fatalities section... this is not like landscaping, were you can just go buy a few rakes, a shovel and some lawn signs and go to work.

well that narrows it down to choice two or three. Since you do not have enough knowledge to know why you would need more then 1 throw bag you have no business climbing and cutting a tree. But you go right ahead Ill be looking for a post about you in the tree related injuries & fatalities section... this is not like landscaping, were you can just go buy a few rakes, a shovel and some lawn signs and go to work.

Meybe if i tipe lyke this it'll mayke ewe feel moore cumfertable.

Buy at least 2 more throwbags. After you get the first one stuck, its good to have backups. Good luck throwing on a 70 degree hill.

I just ordered two more and a Weaver cambium saver. Is a fisherman's knot or clove hitch good to attach the throw weight?

I just ordered two more and a Weaver cambium saver. Is a fisherman's knot or clove hitch good to attach the throw weight?

yeah tie a clove hitch... then buy them by the dozen because your going to leave quite a few in the tree. :msp_thumbdn::bang::jester::dizzy:

Attach your bag (throwbag) to your throwline with a fisherman's knot. Pull it good and tight! The two will form a close loving relationship that can be torn asunder by Uncle Buck or his cousin Spyderco. I prefer using a bowline.

Different weights are useful. Height, short advances, rough bark, etc... will dictate. 16oz - 10oz.
Weaver works fine as long as limb radius is big enough. Mine is tough to place and retrieve in tight crotches with rough bark, gonna get a dan house rope sleeve soon.
Throw weight attachment? Any line termination knot will do but i would suggest anchor or buntline hitch. Untie easy even if violently yanked.
Its all covered in "the tree climbers companion" so when you get it, read it. Maybe read it twice, as it has allot of info stuffed in a small package.

Live oaks were previously topped? Must look horrible. What diameter are the trunks? Age? Other than the tops being mutilated, are they healthy? Why not remove them if they are so in the way?

Attach your bag (throwbag) to your throwline with a fisherman's knot. Pull it good and tight! The two will form a close loving relationship that can be torn asunder by Uncle Buck or his cousin Spyderco. I prefer using a bowline.

Dang, thats funny!

Back