Gravely 27 ton log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slackerjpt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, I am in the market for a log splitter as I am tired of renting it, and having to schedule my splitting time. So after doing my research, I found myself leaning towards the Ariens 27 ton splitter. I called the only legitimate (not box to store) near by. I was leaning towards a place where I could go for service and get it immediately if needed. the salesman was trying to get me to purchase the gravely over the ariens, suggesting that the gravely was higher end model. He wanted $1699 plus tax out the door. The gravely comes standard with the cradle and work table.
I decided to call ariens and they told me that ariens/gravely are identical. The difference being the ariens does not come with the table. I also have a TSC nearby as well as a lowes, so I do have other options.

So, has anyone out there used a gravely, have a gravely, have an opinion on the matter?
I'm also waiting on a price on a used for rental iron and oak splitter
Thanks all for your input.

Mike

I've never used either log splitter but
I'm into the old Gravely walk behind mowers . Same company today.

Gravely, Ariens, mtd, Are all the same. Just different options standard. Iron & oak better Quality.

Gravely, Ariens, mtd, Are all the same. Just different options standard. Iron & oak better Quality.

Gravely and Ariens yes, Mtd is not the same. Ran an Ariens a little, not my style of splitter but worked well.

Made in Wisconsin to boot...

Heck, my future son in law works at Ariens, I think on the Gravely lawn mower line, and I never even realized they made log splitters. I just bought a new 22 ton North Star splitter last year, but I sure know where my next lawn mower is coming from. I know as far as mowers go, the Gravely's are better than the Ariens.

Gravely and Ariens yes, Mtd is not the same. Ran an Ariens a little, not my style of splitter but worked well.

Steve you are right. Maybe its troy built. I know there are 3 that are the same.

I can understand wanting a little higher end machine. I used to have a big commercial Bliss splitter, and I've used a 38 ton Huskee, a couple weeks ago I bought a 22 ton Huskee. It will do anything the 38 ton did. My old Bliss took 40HP to run, and I could never keep up with it now. I'm happy I saved the money and got the 22. Maybe you should try and find a 22 to use for a few hours, you might save a pocket full of cash. The Huskee was/is on sale now for $999 and a free log tray, Joe.

Areins for me.

I own an Ariens 27 ton its amazing! this thing will go through anything, while sipping fuel.
I would highly recommend.

my two cents . stay away from mtd! have a 27ton ,blew out the cylinder,tried to get a seal kit for it,they dont even know what cylinder they used.
pain in the a_ _ to deal with!

i wood go with the tsc/speeco ,unless u can afford the iron&oak?
good luck!:confused:

Wrong! Ariens & Gravely are identical, made by Ariens in Wisconsin. The Gravely unit comes with the log cradles and table, otherwise they are the same.

The Ariens 27 ton usually sells for $1,599. $1,699 for the Gravely probably covers the table & cradle cost.

I have the 27 ton Ariens and am very pleased with the layout and construction. Compared to my buddy's Troy Built (MTD), the Ariens is a much more "robust" unit. I've had it a year, and I have no complaints what so ever. I did look into an iron & Oak, but couldn't afford the unit I wanted.

Search here for Ariens splitters...there are a few other owners who are better at reviewing than I. And search Youtube for Gravely and Ariens splitters.... a few good vids there...

Regards / Mike

Gravely

I just bought a Gravely 34 ton last year and have been very impressed with the machine. I was in the same boat you are and rented an Iron and Oak 27 ton unit 3 or 4 times before I made the leap to purchasing my own. I seriously looked at the Iron and Oak brand and the rental units were always very stout and well built machines. The only issues I had with them were how big and heavy they were (never questioned why though since they were a commercial splitter), and once in a while some bark and splinters would get jammed under the wedge just right to bind it up and I would have to stop what I was doing to remedy the problem. I was going to purchase the 27 ton Gravely but the dealership was out of them currently and I had money in my pocket burning a hole so I made a deal on the 34 ton. Its probably more than I need but so far there is only 1 piece of wood I had that it couldn't split. That was a 24" piece of Ash crotch that had about 3 or 4 branches twisted and growing through it. I sheared off the outside then went right through the middle and it hung up to the point I had to knock the wood off with my maul. I tossed that one in the fire pit pile and went on my way splitting hedge, oak and hickory that day. I have probably only sent 4-5 cords through the Gravely but love it so far. I know there are a lot of other machines out there but I have a dealer .6 miles down the road from me so that weighed heavily on my decision. I do like this unit for how light it is and it is very narrow so I can get it into my wood shed to process in there instead of having to be out in a wide open area. The Subaru engine is quiet and my only complaint on that is when splitting vertical is the exhaust is a little close to my face. Nothing I couldn't fix down the road however. It seems to run all day on a full tank of gas but I never keep it filled up so the problems from the ethanol are hopefully kept to a minimum. I also shut off the fuel and let it run out each time before I put it away. Thing fires up each time on the first pull.

We were selling Timberwolf and GNE 2 way splitters when Ariens and Gravely launched their splitter line a couple years ago. We are now stocking only the Ariens and Gravely units. With the Subaru engines and the build quality of the machine they are the best value on the market today. No warranty issues on any machines we have retailed so far!:clap:

Heck, my future son in law works at Ariens, I think on the Gravely lawn mower line, and I never even realized they made log splitters. I just bought a new 22 ton North Star splitter last year, but I sure know where my next lawn mower is coming from. I know as far as mowers go, the Gravely's are better than the Ariens.

The only difference between the two machines are the engines and the paint. Ariens residential mowers use the Kohler engines and the Gravely uses mostly Kawasaki.

Maybe you can ask him about the Gravely splitter?

I can understand wanting a little higher end machine. I used to have a big commercial Bliss splitter, and I've used a 38 ton Huskee, a couple weeks ago I bought a 22 ton Huskee. It will do anything the 38 ton did. My old Bliss took 40HP to run, and I could never keep up with it now. I'm happy I saved the money and got the 22. Maybe you should try and find a 22 to use for a few hours, you might save a pocket full of cash. The Huskee was/is on sale now for $999 and a free log tray, Joe.

Still thinking about going that route fish. I could also sell about 12 cords of wood and cover the cost of the new splitter. I have nothing but wood, just not the time to get it out, split, stacked, seasoned and delivered.

my two cents . stay away from mtd! have a 27ton ,blew out the cylinder,tried to get a seal kit for it,they dont even know what cylinder they used.
pain in the a_ _ to deal with!

i wood go with the tsc/speeco ,unless u can afford the iron&oak?
good luck!:confused:

I could afford the I AND O if they offered financing. The gravely dealer had 48 months interest free. What I can't afford is my wife gutting me when she sees how much I spent on a splitter.

Wrong! Ariens & Gravely are identical, made by Ariens in Wisconsin. The Gravely unit comes with the log cradles and table, otherwise they are the same.

The Ariens 27 ton usually sells for $1,599. $1,699 for the Gravely probably covers the table & cradle cost.

I have the 27 ton Ariens and am very pleased with the layout and construction. Compared to my buddy's Troy Built (MTD), the Ariens is a much more "robust" unit. I've had it a year, and I have no complaints what so ever. I did look into an iron & Oak, but couldn't afford the unit I wanted.

Search here for Ariens splitters...there are a few other owners who are better at reviewing than I. And search Youtube for Gravely and Ariens splitters.... a few good vids there...

Regards / Mike

I saw the vids. Looks like a solid machine, and I like the idea of the work table. I just wish they had a 4 way wedge as I have some big stuff to split and it would speed things up.

Be Well,
Mike

Latest posts

Back