GRCS: some criticism by a non-owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no damage Dave, otherwise it wouldn't be on the market. We prioritized High Impact Loading above all else, throughout the Stein LD range....obviously the Dual packs plenty more than that also by way of options.

If It were possible I'd buy a GRCS also, regardless of cost....but obviously I have a slight conflict of interest in that respect.

Steven's Euro/Harken adaption looks like a beautifully engineered piece of work, smart thinking merging the Bollard and winch together like that. I would just like to see what is at the back to stop it shooting up under a heavy jolt. I would also like to hear why the strap attachment points are set level with bollard, exerting far more force on the strap than what would be if it were set below, as is the norm with fixed LDs. Perhaps we'll learn all the in's and out's as the product gathers pace.

Are you saying that you feel you could find use for BOTH machines (grcs and Stein) in different situations Reg? Or are you just saying you HAVE to have the Stein?

Also can you get lift on both bollards with the lifter or just the left one in the picts?

It is also possible the new Euro machine is just poorly designed?

Last edited:
Are you saying that you feel you could find use for BOTH machines (grcs and Stein) in different situations Reg? Or are you just saying you HAVE to have the Stein?

No, I dont have to stick with the Stein Dave, and it cetainly suits the way I work, but it wouldn't too smart of me to buy and start showcasing the GRCs on youtube and stuff either. That harken winch would still come in useful for lots of things though....and not to mention, the guy who makes it is the genuine article....so I wouldn't feel so bad spending my money with him.

Also can you get lift on both bollards with the lifter or just the left one in the picts?

Yeah you can lift on both Dave at 2:1 and 5:1. The 2:1 is quick and easy and the 5:1 is more fiddly. But even at the fast 2:1, a 200+lb guy could raise a near 800lb limb so long as he leaves it attached at the hinge

It is also possible the new Euro machine is just poorly designed?

Alot of hard work must have gone into that device Dave, lets hope the people behind are in fact experienced, hardcore tree-riggers who have it all covered. I would like to believe so. Time will tell, or perhaps Norway Climber will kindly shed some more light?

Thanks for reply Reg but you did not quite answer my question. I will re phrase it....

If you had a GRCS would there be any reason to buy a Stein? (outside of the obvious benies of having the second bollard).

Thanks for reply Reg but you did not quite answer my question. I will re phrase it....

If you had a GRCS would there be any reason to buy a Stein? (outside of the obvious benies of having the second bollard).

Well thats impossible to answer and be absolute Dave. But let me say this, and with the greatest of respect - I have rigged out sections on the Stein that I just couldn't have done on any other device, so in that sense it suits my personal preferences best. But on the other hand, there are lots of other ways to skin a cat. I think the word from most GRCS users is that they wouldn't use anything else either. I am doing my best here.

Well thats impossible to answer and be absolute Dave. But let me say this, and with the greatest of respect - I have rigged out sections on the Stein that I just couldn't have done on any other device, so in that sense it suits my personal preferences best. But on the other hand, there are lots of other ways to skin a cat. I think the word from most GRCS users is that they wouldn't use anything else either. I am doing my best here.

We rig out huge stuff on my strap on bollard I bought maybe 20 years ago or whenever they were invented. Also on my largest porty. Prior to that we/everyone wrapped the tree. I can see the need for lifting (tips over a roof, etc.)..... but a lifting bollard mainly just for tensioning to eliminate just some/a little of the shock load..?.... not a necessity IMO. Not trying to bust on you Reg just talking here.

If it comes down to getting lift over a roof quickly and easily the drill into the GCRS seems the pinnacle.

Nobody taking anything larger out of trees than we do unless there doing coastal redwoods or (big) eucs. There is an abbundance of big wood around here.

We rig out huge stuff on my strap on bollard I bought maybe 20 years ago or whenever they were invented. Also on my largest porty. Prior to that we/everyone wrapped the tree. I can see the need for lifting (tips over a roof, etc.)..... but a lifting bollard mainly just for tensioning to eliminate just some/a little of the shock load..?.... not a necessity IMO

One could argue that LDs are not a necessity at all, but they sure make the job safer more efficient.

Dave I am being very careful to remain impartial for obvious reasons.

In general terms pre-loading a line is mainly used to add extra direction and/or clearance by shortening the distance between the limb and the rigging point. Again not a necessity but can be a huge time and labour saver when the opportunities are realised.

When I made mentioned rigging heavy or awkward sections specifically with the Stein in my earlier post, I was also making reference to the effects/wear on the corresponding ropes and other hardware, or lack of....not just on the device itself, more the options it offers, the way it is built and how that complements the other links in the chain.

I'd like to leave it there Dave, on a GRCS thread at least, its not right for me continue along these lines. The GRCS rules, hows that.

I see the Stein as a strong consideration for a lot of reasons although I like to play devil's advocate. The most obvious buyer probably would be someone with no LD at all prior to spending "some" of their investment bucks on portys and such. That is a very attractive price and it has some nice features esp. lifting capacity that is affordable.

Alot of hard work must have gone into that device Dave, lets hope the people behind are in fact experienced, hardcore tree-riggers who have it all covered. I would like to believe so. Time will tell, or perhaps Norway Climber will kindly shed some more light?

Lol, well I really don't know all that much. I met Steve Ibelings at this summers ETCC and he talked about a new winch he had designed. As for being a "Hardcore treerigger", I bet you'll all frown on your nose when hearing hes only 22 years old! But looking at his whole climbing setup and talking with him I was amazed at how inovative he was and he also had a great understanding for ropework. He really has an eye for the small details.

As for who he has been working with on the winch I know not.

As for being a "Hardcore treerigger", I bet you'll all frown on your nose when hearing hes only 22 years old!

In a sense that makes it all the more impressive.

The Stein had to fall within a certain price bracket, but it looks like Steven just went with his imagination regardless of cost. The very best of luck to him:cheers:

Dam lotto tickets, twice a week I play, twice a week I lose.
I need them ALL!! When I win, AND I WILL HIT THAT MOTHER LOAD (i hope)
I am going to buy all of the cool tools out there, fly all of AS to Iowa and then we will play with all the cools stuff I get
"Everybody, youll see that there is a GCRS,HOBBS,STEIN and HARKIN LD's for everyone"

dam lotto

Frankly I don't think your question is at all arbitrary. You have a 12:1 winch and want to know how much force you can generate when leaning on it with all your weight. The answer is straightforward: 12 X your effective weight. Your effective weight = W X efficiency; where W is your measured weight and efficiency is the percentage of that W you can bring to bear on the winch handle.

WTF?:dunno:

Fear,
Don't forget about the length of the handle. That will affect how much torque you will be able to apply to the winch.
Onelick

Grcs

Hi,
I've had a GRCS for less than a year. It has been a very, very good investment. All the posts on this have been interesting and to the point. I would like to add 2 things I have done with the GRCS that really only it does well. First, jobs involving long climbs and there are only two of us I have come down and go back up several times. Tiring. The ground guy can winch me back up-- I'm on my climb line and he is raising me with the rigging line. Very safe. The second is moving logs across a creek bed, no access for vehicles and 5 foot deep creek bed. Winch them up, swing them over and lower them on the other side. Sweet. I have used the GRCS for its intended purpose many other times and never had a problem with it. For me it was the exact right tool for the job. I use 5/8 stable braid on the winch. I haven't used the bollard yet. And I don't think the GRCS is over priced. Course I got it when West Spur was running a special on it last winter. And free shipping!
Eljefe

Fear,
Don't forget about the length of the handle. That will affect how much torque you will be able to apply to the winch.
Onelick

For added force I get one ground guy to pull the rope as the other one is tightening it. Kabaam!! works like stink...

Back