Grease It?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl had grease holes in the past, they did away with it to help tout
their new oil push/pulling chain.

They seem to work fine though, my Stihl bars last as long as any other - granted, I never greased any of the others either.
My dad had an old AC (I think) car, it had a separate pedal in the passenger footwell which pressed grease through all the grease nipples. If it started feeling a bit rough, just squish the pedal and suddenly all was smooth again...

I used to grease mine religiously, but it kept getting shorter. Then someone pointed out that I was in fact not using grease, but shortening. ROFL.

I just stick the tip of the bar in a container of Diesel fuel now and then, and run it a few spins around at part throttle. Never had an issue so far.

If they have holes ...

they were meant to be lubed from an external source. If they are blank, they rely on chain oil. If you are running Stihl chains with oil holes in the drive links, you are probably carrying enough oil to the tip. If you are running old McCulloch 370GLX chain, you need to help it along with some extra lube.

Bars for classic saws are gettin seriously pricey as far as I can tell. Grease and oil are cheap - sort of. If you have a tip injector grease gun, why not use it? I've pushed grease in one side and seen black crap come out the other (black oxide rust) and that stuff is very abrasive in a bearing. Sometimes I push 90wt oil into the holes to flush stuff on a bar I just got in swap or something. You never know how bad that bearing has been treated. A little grease or heavy oil can't hurt a thing :)

Last edited:
Holy resurected old thread batman!!

No grease here. I go heavy on the oil adjustment.

I started putting slickem on mine when I was about thirteen. She was sooooo purty. :msp_smile:

randy you do realize theres a store not all that far from you that actually sells slik um

Lol Greasing them has been kind of a joke at a few shops i've been too in years.

Its kind of one of those things that don't make a big difference, but some people waste the $ on greasing em all the time.

Latest posts

Back