Greasing Clutch Springs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to grease the clutch because it will last longer maybe but I don't want sawdust to stuck.

Its ok to grease them as long as you use the same grease you use to grease the piston. Thats the important part.... :poke:

Just stick a grease gun in the spark plug hole and keep pumping until it won't take any more.

Just stick a grease gun in the spark plug hole and keep pumping until it won't take any more.

eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....................

Hate to think where that post came from.......

When I ran that truck lease shop, one of the greatest enemies was the pneumatic grease gun, moron mechanics would blow out all of the seals on any component that had a zerk fitting, and the pissed off trucker would bring his truck back in to our night shift after the dayshift mechanic
pumped 2 lbs. of grease into his throwout bearing.

man i hate when people give the wrong procedure out when trying to give advice...:msp_sneaky:

the proper way is to go until it doesn't want to take more. then 3 more pumps.:hmm3grin2orange:
it's also gotta be red grease. the blue or green stuff just don't cut it.

I remember greasing the clutch drum bearing on my Husky 346. I greased it through the end of the crank with one those push grease guns. I didnt think the grease was going in there, well it was. Man my clutched slipped and smoked for a bit. I now pay very close attention if the grease is going in there to the bearing when I remember to grease it.

75w-90

I use heavy gear oil. Take the chain cover off your saw. Lay your saw on it's side with the clutch facing up. Pour your oil of choice in the center of the clutch till it comes close to rising to the level where the clutches come in contact with the rim, but don't pour so much in that it comes in contact with the clutch surface area. This oil will slowly seep into the bearings below. Leave it overnight if using a heavy oil like me...heavy gear oil is very tachy and stays put longer. Manuals will tell you to do this once weekly, but I do it every time I use my saw...I'm anal though ;)

My procedures for getting my saw started is...

1.) Top off the fuel.
2.) Top off the bar oil.
3.) Oil the bar-end sprocket (75w-90).
4.) Lube the clutch bearings (75w-90).
5.) Re-tension chain with upward pressure on bar.
6.) Run through cold start procedure.

Last edited:
Back