Great Prices on Dolmar Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wildnorthern said:
What am I missing?

You are willing to order online but not let the dealer order it for you? What is the logic?

I wondered the same thing. Maybe he was worried that the local dealer wouldn't support the saw if they didn't normally stock saws and parts. My question is whay is there a Dolmar dealer that isn't stocking equipment and parts. Suppose there is another dealer or shop that would like to handle Dolmar in that area but they can't get a dealership because there is already a "dealer" in the area. This has happened too me, looked into a line of equipment but couldn't get it because the local "dealer" was too close. Too bad this guy only had like 1 or 2 items collecting dust in the corner of his place. Sorry, i'm venting.

logic explained

I want to use my local dealers- as much as is reasonable-

Paying a premium based on local support and service-

My logic for the not ordering is pretty simple-

IN stock scenario-
i go to the shop once and leave with what I need-1 stop and done

Or ordering scenario-Basically buying over the net but I am the delivery service-
I go to the shop and order wait go back to the shop come and pick up 2 trips twice the driving and time-- same out come-

Internet:
I shop at home order wait and it comes to my door 0 wasted time no driving around same amount of waiting. Same $ spent to achieve the same out come.

I generally don't have a ton of free time and I get really annoyed when I have to spend what little conventional working hours time (8-5) I have on driving around being unproductive. If the shop were open at 6am or 8pm I would have no issue.

Kevin

If i had a trip in the near future to Illinois I would take delivery at dolmatatos shop.

Wow, nice thread...

1st off, My 5100 weres a 16" 3/8 bar and chain. would like to see that standard for the hardwood areas. 18" is like husky selling a 147 with a 20" (not really that bad, but you see where I am going).

Dealer support and network:

I have 4 local dealers (within an hour that I know of). Up until recently only one of them carried the entire saw line in stock and had a good selection of parts for them.

2 of those dealers don't carry anything bigger than the 510.

The other one, which was closest to me and did not show up on the dealer locator only carried a few smaller saws (510 and down) from before the central merge. I got on him big time to order a couple 5100's and 7900's.

He said the demand wasn't there. (he was an old sachs dolmar dealer, where I got all my old 110 115 stuff).

Well a couple months went by and I stopped back in to check out his used saw junkyard. he had a 6400, 510, 3410, and a couple others on the shelf.

I asked if he had ordered any 7900's or 5100's. (mind you, this is the same guy that I bartered with to order me a 7900 for super cheap and he could run it as a demo for a while. He agreed with me, but never took me up on my offer... Anywho, he ordered 3 5100's, 2 7900's, 2 7300's, 2 6400's, and more of the 510's.

in less than a month he has sold them all except one 6400 and a 510. He was stunned. He then thanked me for being on him to order them. He then asked me where I got my 5100 and 7900.

I told him I bought the 5100 over the internet and got a real good deal on it. that was the only reason I bought it at the time, and after owning it, I'd by three more at full price. I told him I would by future stuff from him if he would stock more stuff and give me a deal every once in a while. he was kinda stunned, as in he didn't think I was serious. He thanked me again.

The short story (not really) leads to a couple of things. Dolmar has a lot going for it right now, but it also has some handicaps to over come.

They are not stihl and husky. they are still little compared to them. If they get away from the mentallity that they are one of the big shots, they will sell more saws.

Dealer networks are growing, but still I meet people all the time that don't know what a dolmar is. More dealers and good prices will get the saws in the hands of people that will come back for more. I had no use for a 7900 before I bought my 5100. I had a 372 and an 046, but after running the 5100 for some time, I thought I should try one. If anyone is thinking about a 50cc or 80cc saw, the 5100 and 7900 are the smoothest and most powerfull saws I have ran in the respective classes.

I keep hearing and reading that the parts situation is 2 days a way. Everytime I have ordered anything, it took a minimum of two weeks and more parts took longer. Dolmar needs to get their parts situation figured out before they can continue to grow. If a home owner needs a part for his saw (smashed saw example) then if could be accpetable to have the parts in a couple days, even though it shouldn't take that long. If a professional needs parts, he needs them now, not two or three days later. The delay in parts for the tool that makes him money will force him back to Stihl and Husky.

When I ordered a 7900 piston and cylinder for a makita conversion, it took a month. When I ordered a muffler for a 6400/7300/7900 it took three weeks. When I ordered a 5100 muffler, it took 2 and a half months. To me, these are common items that should be stocked by a large dealer. My question is why it took so long to get the parts I needed? The mufflers were for modifications so I still had a stock one to use and put back on it had I wanted to sell it. Had I been a professional that used them to make a living, I would have taken them back to the dealer and told them to keep them. Surely Husky or Stihl could get parts quicker than a month..... I also understand that there are rare parts that get backordered, but all of them?

(don't give me the warrenty crap, don't want to hear it, I know that modding the muffler is tappering with the saw, but I am not the guy that doesn't know how to change a plug or sharpen a chain. there is power to be had in the modded mufflers, and the motors will last longer from the reduced heat in the motors, abeit the added epa emissions)

Basically what I am saying is that Dolmar has one hellava lineup of saws. They need more dealers, more parts stocked at the dealers, and more dealers willing to carry the mid sized and bigger models (without having to pay for it and order it). I try to support my local guys when i can, but like when I bought my 5100, there was not a close dealer that would order one in for me too look at and feel. I will not buy anything without seeing it.

I think the internet sales has a place, especially for dolmar, as in my case the one local dealer would never have ordered a large saw to stock on the shelf. I realize dealers are here to make a living also, but with the dolmar still being the underdawg, then need to open the flood gates and get more saws out in the hands of users, via dealers, internet, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read my novel. I like my dolmars, hope others do to.

Steve, my dealer is 12 miles from me and carries the whole dolmar line up. small to big and has always had the 5100 and 7900 in stock when there. So if you really need a part fast call him over in Bucyrus sometime, you never know till you try.
He is a retail man and will not budge.

I let a pro logger try out my 5100 because he heard it running and came over.
he was very impressed with balance and smoothness not to mention the power.
I think you would have a hard time prying that husky from his hands though!

This is a good post. I like all the input. Here is my question, what parts do you want me to stock? Air-filters, plugs, fule filters, bars, chains, rim sprockets, hardware and a pretty good selection of accessories.

So, what do I need to have in stock? If it's a complete piston / cyl. for a 7900 I know that I can have it next day. I think there is a lack with some of the distributors. I can log onto my distributor's computer, look at their inventory and have the parts shipped. Next day if ordered before 3pm and I can even get saturday delivery if absolutely neccessary ($$$$).

I have 10 saws in my showroom right now. I'm waiting for some more 7900 saws. I can have one in tomorrow but I'm waiting for my spring shipment to arrive.

Ok, ok. We don't have a big amount of loggers here in the corn-state. You can cut corn with a 7900 but a combine works better.

Stocking parts based on anticipated need makes sense, Having a muffler for a brand new model (5100) is a little goofy. In normal use the muffler should last at least a few years. In a tree smashed saw, the muffler usually survives if the saw is worth fixing, the handles and covers take most of the abuse. Want to modify your muffler?, have at it but don't expect me to have one in stock in case you mess up. When I did my 7900 muffler, I modded the muffler that came on the saw.

speaking of parts.

How much do new mufflers for the dolmars cost. IE 5100, 6400 and such. Give us guys a clue as to how much a spare will cost us incase we botch one up. Thanks

DOLMARatOs said:
I usually just quote a price on the large saws with a 20" bar. It's pretty easy to make up a price sheet with all the different sized bars.

At my shop, we have 1 price on the large saws up to and including 24" bar. Any larger bar has its own price. I've found that most of my customers go with a 24" bar on the 7900 and 7300. 20" bar is very popular on the 6400 but I have a few 6400 saws out there with 28" bar and full skip OREGON chain.

I'd like to see Dolmar saws with PHO 5100S models. Some people actually want a 16" bar on that 5100S which creates an insanely fast 16" saw.

This is getting off topic but is a 5100 really any faster with a 16" over an 18,(in the same wood). Is there a cutting speed difference between the .325" and 3/8" 5100? Does a 16" or 18" bar balance better? I case you didn't notice, I'm paving the road to buying another saw; My 7900 is outnumbered by huskys. I should try to keep them even..............right?

Hey Paul, I see what you are saying, but where I come from the bigger husky dealers have enough parts in stock to build their most popular models (066, 372, etc)

The 7900 and 5100 are the two most popluar bad boys from dolmar out there. Other than the fact they share parts between similar models (510, 460) &(6400,7300) one would think that they should have parts for the bread and butter.

I don't think you need 40 piston and cylinder kits, but one should be sufficient for the most popular models. Eventually you will have one run through with straight gas or leaned out too much, or hell some guy like me that bought a home depot 6401 and wants to make it a 7900.

Gaskets, dealers need gaskets: Base gaskets (cylinder base) exhaust, intake if required, carb kits, etc. High wear items like the chip deflector and chain guides, bar adjuster assy's, etc

You guys know what you need based on your sales and your customers. Down here, the amish loggers are rough on saws and the S and H brand dealers stock quite a few parts for them.

Consumables will also vary depending on your customers. Nothing I hate worse than a dealer all out of spark plugs. fuel filters, large rim sprockets, or even files and chains..... I don't know about you guys, but I don't buy that many air filters (except the stihl filters lol). I might buy one winter filter when a saw is brand new and I'll rotate that out throughout the year depending on what I am cutting. I clean my filters long before it is time to replace them. I did wear out a 365 falt panel filter from too many cleanings, though.

I take it you don't have a spare set of covers kicking around if you don't have a muffler... Might be cheaper to donate a saw and it's parts to your parts shelf than buy the parts from the factory. Seen a dealer or three do that in the day (not dolmar specific, lol)

MOE said:
This is getting off topic but is a 5100 really any faster with a 16" over an 18,(in the same wood). Is there a cutting speed difference between the .325" and 3/8" 5100? Does a 16" or 18" bar balance better? I case you didn't notice, I'm paving the road to buying another saw; My 7900 is outnumbered by huskys. I should try to keep them even..............right?

I did some timed tests a while back between the .325 and 3/8 chain on the 5100. I only used 16" bars. If I need 18", I get a bigger saw that has a 20" bar on it (372xp or 7900). Don't need every two inch size of bar.... 16", 20", 24", 28" and a 36 with a partridge in a pear tree. lol. I put an 18" bar on it when i got it, and I just felt more comfortable with he 16" on it. I bought just the powerhead (no bar and chain) as I had other saws that used the same bar mount, and the 16 was what I was used to running

The 3/8 chain was almost a second quicker (.75) in a piece of 8x8 ash. I won't run a saw that won't pull 3/8" chain--more chain/bars to keep around...

I don't remember exactly, but the 5100 muffler was $35ish and the 7900/6400 muffler was $40ish. that was about 6 months ago.

Freakingstang said:
Might be cheaper to donate a saw and it's parts to your parts shelf than buy the parts from the factory. Seen a dealer or three do that in the day (not dolmar specific, lol)

I'm shocked you'd suggest that!!!! but it works...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: hmmm, a few saws never did get registered...:biggrinbounce2:

A 5100S with a 16" bar running .325 pro chain seems to just scream through an 8x8. No times though. My thinking is that the .325 chain has more cutters, a lot more. They don't cut as much, but the chain can stay at a much higher rate of speed on its way through the log. It's probably a close race.

For balance, I prefer the 18" bar on the 460-5100S. The 16" feels more evenly balanced, but i like more weight on my forward hand as opposed to the trigger. I want it to be just a little nose heavy.

If I have a commercial customer who has equipment down and neads a part. I will pull the parts off of a new piece of equipment, no problem, any day of the week.

That being said. All commercial users should have a back-up piece of equipment. Not 2 of everything, but enough to do the job. 2 big saws, 2 big mowers, 2 trimmers, etc.

If Joe the firewood cutter who's trying to put together a few extra bux breaks his saw and wants me to pull down a new one then it gets sticky. If it's warranty, no problem. It it's disputed warranty then I'll most likely still do it. If he broke it through misuse or something, then he can wait for parts.

This of course applies pretty much only to equipment that I sold. If the guy bought it a few towns away to save a buck then I suggest he take it to the place he bought it and see how their service is. If you bought the saw, mower, etc. from me I will bend over backwards if I can.

DOLMARatOs said:
If I have a commercial customer who has equipment down and neads a part. I will pull the parts off of a new piece of equipment, no problem, any day of the week.

That being said. All commercial users should have a back-up piece of equipment. Not 2 of everything, but enough to do the job. 2 big saws, 2 big mowers, 2 trimmers, etc.

If Joe the firewood cutter who's trying to put together a few extra bux breaks his saw and wants me to pull down a new one then it gets sticky. If it's warranty, no problem. It it's disputed warranty then I'll most likely still do it. If he broke it through misuse or something, then he can wait for parts.

This of course applies pretty much only to equipment that I sold. If the guy bought it a few towns away to save a buck then I suggest he take it to the place he bought it and see how their service is. If you bought the saw, mower, etc. from me I will bend over backwards if I can.

Good post. I agree, with the exception that the dealer hasto have the saw on the shelf in order to do that....that seems to be the biggest problem. people will carry up to the 510, but not the 5100-7900.....

Oh, and I have more than enough saws to keep me occupied..... :laugh:

Back