groundies with phones, shyster drunk company owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treemandan

Tree Freak
Reaction score
AND HO's WHO WANT TO HELP CHIP.

Need I say more?

well I will say this:
After being ragdolled ( Its ok, I know how to do it) and looking down to see the guy with one hand on the rope and the other hand holding his phone to his ear I see the HO feeding the chipper. I put some extra base in my larynx, pointed to the HO with my 20 and bellowed " YOU! GEt the F%$# out of here now! Get out, Get out Get the F%$# out!" Everybody got a piece today and I showed up happy and ready to work.
I wish you all could have been there. The shyster drunk company owner calls to try to reconcile, I tell him verbateum " There is nothing here for you but pain, do you want some?"

Groundies with cell phone issues don't last long on my crew. I don't set and gab on mine and I don't expect anyone else to either. I'm not Attila the Hun about it or anything though. If they have a legitimate reason to be on the phone then I don't have a problem with it. My #1 groundie is a single dad and I make allowances for him as he needs to handle business with his son at times. I could care less if they use them on breaks but if I have to wait on them when I'm trying to lower a limb I definitely get a little hot around the collar.

Groundies with cell phone issues don't last long on my crew. I don't set and gab on mine and I don't expect anyone else to either. I'm not Attila the Hun about it or anything though. If they have a legitimate reason to be on the phone then I don't have a problem with it. My #1 groundie is a single dad and I make allowances for him as he needs to handle business with his son at times. I could care less if they use them on breaks but if I have to wait on them when I'm trying to lower a limb I definitely get a little hot around the collar.

It was the drug dealer who was in the hospital. A couple of guys stormed his trailer and cracked his head open. I apparently handed in my resignation today. You drop the ball on me like that and its over. Good thing I know how to hold fast cause that tree ( 100 foot ash over house and wires) was a rockin. I was tied in 6 ways from Sunday before I let 35 feet out of the top.
My wife knows better than to make that phone ring unless its about something real. Sure, if there is a problem you have to deal with it.
Max Burton did the same thing a few years back. I had him cornered but let him go, he is just a boy and if I started in I would have done some time. besides, kicking his ass is nothing to brag about although I doubt anybody knew he was down in my area and I know a hollow sycamore , drop him right in.

Cell phones stay in the truck, you can go check it at break time or lunch. The supervisor keeps a phone, and if the employee needs to be reached, the family can do it thru the super.

Ho's chipping ain't good. Who's gonna pay the bill if they get sucked in. :greenchainsaw:

:agree2: I think Adkpk brings up an excellent point here.... I would hate to leave a job half finished, but I wouldn't really want to finish it for free either. :rolleyes:

There is a fellow in my area who uses two women to chip and clean-up for him and they do a great job better than most of the phone users. I dont know if Dan meant hos as in women in general or actualy hos. I am not offended either way . It can be used the same as women and "The Dan " is mad at the moment so. AGAIN, I agree with "The Dan"!!!!! I'm sick of losers on the job who aren't on the job.

I hate it, hate it, hate it, did I mention hate it when they are on the phone texting and crap. Just last week we were working on a large pine and the ground helper/chip guy had his ear phones on and I had to yell at him every time for ever limb, they all had to be roped with a tag line to pull them out from over plants and shrubs then I look and he's texting his girlie, I told him a hundred times to put the stuff up and he mouthed off a bit so I just let it go until his dad got there a few minutes later and then I told him and he walked up grabbed the ear phones and ripped them off his head and stomped them in to the ground along with the mp3 player and took the cell phone and locked it in the truck.....I rolled laughing..

What do you wear to load a chipper? Cause besides the safety glasses (sunglasses, yes OSHA Z81 approved) and ear plugs I don't wear anything. Well, pants and a shirt obviously (although I have seen other hacks do it shirtless, thats gotta hurt), but I can't think of anything else to wear for loading a chipper.

And I'm sorry Dan, but I would NEVER tell the HO to "Get the &^%$ out." They pay you (or the company if you don't own it, and they pay you), they deserve respect and courtesy no matter the situation. First time you ask them nicely, second time you tell them how bad they're gonna get hurt if there's an accident, third time you pack it up and tell them you'll be back when they aren't home. I don't mind when they throw crap in the back of the chipper if its just idling, but I've never swore at a HO because they are trying to help. Heck, I don't think I've ever swore at a HO period.

Guys on there phones is BS... We have one guy who does it more than he should, but gets away with it because the owner doesn't see him do it, and he's the foreman's future son-in-law. Fortunately, the rest of our guys know when they have a minute to take a call or return a text during downtime. They're real good about it, and I'm proud to say we have one of the most professional crews around.

What do you wear to load a chipper? Cause besides the safety glasses (sunglasses, yes OSHA Z81 approved) and ear plugs I don't wear anything. Well, pants and a shirt obviously (although I have seen other hacks do it shirtless, thats gotta hurt), but I can't think of anything else to wear for loading a chipper.

And I'm sorry Dan, but I would NEVER tell the HO to "Get the &^%$ out." They pay you (or the company if you don't own it, and they pay you), they deserve respect and courtesy no matter the situation. First time you ask them nicely, second time you tell them how bad they're gonna get hurt if there's an accident, third time you pack it up and tell them you'll be back when they aren't home. I don't mind when they throw crap in the back of the chipper if its just idling, but I've never swore at a HO because they are trying to help. Heck, I don't think I've ever swore at a HO period.

Guys on there phones is BS... We have one guy who does it more than he should, but gets away with it because the owner doesn't see him do it, and he's the foreman's future son-in-law. Fortunately, the rest of our guys know when they have a minute to take a call or return a text during downtime. They're real good about it, and I'm proud to say we have one of the most professional crews around.

I know , sheez, its sounds pretty bad. Now lets look at the bigger picture and its not like I haven't been here before... a few times... a few times to many... with the same bunch of retards. Well, after all these years the retards have been many but the mentality is the same.

You know, I have talks with the guys I work with. I say, " listen, the last job I did for you the HO almost got killed standing to close, you HAVE to keep them away." Now the BOSS was on the job when we started but in his haste to "play" the HO and get to the bar he forgot to tell him to stay I away. I did remind him but I guess he had better things to do.

The shyster drunk company owner does not care about much, he might tell you he does and all is good but its a lie. And in the end there is one thing that stands above all else- I go home alive. Routine F -ups result in hurt feelings and that is only because I would be the one sleeping in a jail cell, from what I heard it not to good.

I thought my whole epiosode was great advertising. I did not finish the tree, I told the two groundies I doubt if I would have any more work for them because of their attitudes and workmanship and I told the shyster drunk company owner I was putting his name on one of my bullets but really I would rather duct tape a half stick in his mouth so I could watch his mousy &^%$#@ face explode.
I have been doing some sub work for this guy over the last year. This guy has routinley dropped the ball on me and his kids who shouldn't even be out there in the first place. Whatever they know about tree work he has shown them. I had them work on some of my jobs and took my time to plan and execute safe managable ways to deal.

Sure, being so pissed about things and then seeing happy Ho shoving brush into the chipper on my sanctified job site I just zeroed in on him to and unloaded. Not to say I can't control myself, I was in control, losing control (to me) is loading dem bullets I spoke about above. I had point to get across, actually quite a few points. I think I handled it well for a guy hopped up from sending 40 foot leaders flying out and who was concerned about making sure nothing went wrong, who works very hard to ensure my end is up, who watches out for everybody else.
Now if you are the type of guy who doesn't mind the HO tossing brush onto the hopper of an idling chipper I just have to say I DO, big time and I am not putting up with it, nor much of any thing else along those lines.
I do not go near people who have such things as running saws in thier hands. That might sound funny to some people and once again if it sounds funny to you then you are doing it wrong. I let people know to keep a wide berth. let me count the number of near misses.

:agree2: I think Adkpk brings up an excellent point here.... I would hate to leave a job half finished, but I wouldn't really want to finish it for free either. :rolleyes:

I left the jobsite, tree still standing. Keep the money. Compromise? No. Walk away with no trail of blood ( from anybody)? You bet.

by the way these are the same guys that spurred the post" seriously now". The owner is Josh Lord. I call him Joe Pesci cause he acts like Joe's character in the movies Lethal Weapon except its not as funny out here for some reason.
Josh also owns a very dangerous bucket truck. This is a warning to anybody looking to be employed. He will say its been fixed, this is a lie.

I thought you were supposed to wear a hard hat in case the limb spun around and whacked you.

Some people get hard hat confused with " hard head" and just use that instead. But its of little consequence, I seldom wear a hat chipping and jsut cause you might have that stuff on don't mean you are ready to use a chipper. Not only is having HO roam loose dangerous its plain unprofessional. Really, you have got to be kidding me saying otherwise.

I thought you were supposed to wear a hard hat in case the limb spun around and whacked you.

I could see a very strong case for the helmet system jobbies with the mesh face screen. I've taken enough small whacks across the cheek, but just can't ever talk myself into wearing one of them. I will not run a chipper without ear muffs, and it seems like most of the time I end up digging out my behind the head peltor muffs because I'm wearing a helmet. When it's nice out and late in the day and we're just chipping the last piles of brush, I will probably ditch the helmet and wear the nice bilsom muffs. Probably gloves about 2/3 of the time too. But safety glasses and ear muffs 100%.

Back