Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of deer season Jimmy, right around the corner for us it seems. Can't wait! You on facebook? If so look up our group all sportsmen and women the Alliance of dog men

Great thread Normzilla44! Hi, I'm an old newbe from Humboldt county. Never cut down one of these giants, but handled thousands of them while working 37 years for the old Pacific Lumber Co. There is a new group just started on Facebook by the name Humboldt Loggers and Fallers. Might want to check it out. Also they post all the sumitted pictures on they're website humboldtloggersandfallers dot com. I don't know what RandyMac looks like but he might be in one or more of these. Hate to post and run but am heading to the Bay area early in the morning to see family for Easter. Have a wonderful weekend!

Joe

Joe, my family worked at PL for decades, my Grandfather was the Production Superintendent back in the '60s, my Dad was a sawfiler at Mill "B", my Bro played with little boards in the factory. I was born in Scotia, we lived on 4th street

Hi RandyMac. I wasn't born in Scotia but my wife was. I lived on Williams st. in the 60's, 5th in the 70's and 3rd before I moved to Fortuna. Probably know or seen your relatives for time to time. I ran the Burger crane from '74 till 92. Caught the last years of the log train. 45 cars of mostly single or 2 log loads.

Hi RandyMac. I wasn't born in Scotia but my wife was. I lived on Williams st. in the 60's, 5th in the 70's and 3rd before I moved to Fortuna. Probably know or seen your relatives for time to time. I ran the Burger crane from '74 till 92. Caught the last years of the log train. 45 cars of mostly single or 2 log loads.

Those were the days. Thanks for letting us know about the logging website. I looked at some of the pictures. Good stuff.

Joe, my family worked at PL for decades, my Grandfather was the Production Superintendent back in the '60s, my Dad was a sawfiler at Mill "B", my Bro played with little boards in the factory. I was born in Scotia, we lived on 4th street

Interesting that Scotia is the last company town in America. There is a website with pics and interesting info on the privately-owned town of Scotia.
Town of Scotia, California

Last edited:
Great thread Normzilla44! Hi, I'm an old newbe from Humboldt county. Never cut down one of these giants, but handled thousands of them while working 37 years for the old Pacific Lumber Co. There is a new group just started on Facebook by the name Humboldt Loggers and Fallers. Might want to check it out. Also they post all the sumitted pictures on they're website humboldtloggersandfallers dot com. I don't know what RandyMac looks like but he might be in one or more of these. Hate to post and run but am heading to the Bay area early in the morning to see family for Easter. Have a wonderful weekend!

Joe
Thank u my friend, and so great to meet you. Threads like this I had hoped it would bring a family together and it did. Gives us a place to keep sacred and small. A fine band if you will. Look me up Norm Green on facebook.

Thank u my friend, and so great to meet you. Threads like this I had hoped it would bring a family together and it did. Gives us a place to keep sacred and small. A fine band if you will. Look me up Norm Green on facebook.

Looked at pics on the Humboldt loggers website last night. They had a great sense of humor. My dad drove Cats up to and including the D10.

Love of the outdoors is in my blood. I've never been a logger, but admire anybody willing to work that hard for a living. My dad took me camping in the Lassen Nat'l Forest when I was only 6 weeks old. I've been addicted to the outdoors ever since. My dad was a fishing, hunting and camping fanatic. During WW2 gasoline shortage/rationing, he ran his 1939 Chevy with synthetic paint thinner. When I was in diapers, we lived in Willows, CA. My dad owned a Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Mitzi. Hunting pheasant and waterfowl is a way of life there. Hunted the same spot in the Lassen Nat'l Forest in 1997. Sign of huge bucks there.

Last edited:
Bill, Jimmy, Jerry great to see yous. Same to you and welcome D.lane. Great pictures Bill, and Jerry I bet that was one hell of an awesome drive. I would like to get to Leggett someday Jimmy and D.lane, heard of it never been there. Only been to Eureka once, and really loved the drive, and Redwoods along the way.:msp_thumbup:

Its always my pleasure to drop into this thread and remeniss over my trips through your fair land. I have been lucky enough to have traveled throughout your State a fair bit now and am comfortable with finding my way around out there now.My next trip out that way I will try to look you and Randy up, even if its just for a cup of coffee.

Its always my pleasure to drop into this thread and remeniss over my trips through your fair land. I have been lucky enough to have traveled throughout your State a fair bit now and am comfortable with finding my way around out there now.My next trip out that way I will try to look you and Randy up, even if its just for a cup of coffee.

Don't forget me Jerry.:D

Yep. I also work near SF. Dave (Ckelp) is about 20 minutes from me. Norm's about 45 minutes north on 101. Randy's about 5-6 hours farther north in the PNW.

We nearly met up on my first trip out, I got overwhelmed with itinerary and you caught the flu. All my trips out so far were all pre planned by my daughter so that I could see the most possible for the time I had to be there. Now that I have seen a good deal of the territory I will have more time to plan meeting up with many of you Cali guys.

Be a pleasure to meet up with you as well Jerry. Jimmy I love it I am also a outdoor nut. I love the redwood country as you know. I also run my dogs on pigs, and get to see all of gods country. We cut wood, and do tree work on 5-6 hunting ranches for trade, and wood for us. Sometimes I just load up the dogs, and go for a drive. My favorite loop is Skaggs springs, from healdsburg, up to tin barn, then king ridge road, and into Cazadero. I am also involved in lpro legislation, and fighting anti hunting, or anti gun, or sporting legislation. V.P for Ca houndsmen for conservation, then president of my own group and club the Alliance of dog men.

This log took us about 8 hours to get all of it down a draw about 300' It started as a 40' and a 24' laying along side each other semi stuck between a big redwood and an old springboard hole stump. We only had my pickup and its winch. Poison oak galore BTW. The land owner is a friend of mine so we did this for free.

010_zps39d14091.jpg

Be a pleasure to meet up with you as well Jerry. Jimmy I love it I am also a outdoor nut. I love the redwood country as you know. I also run my dogs on pigs, and get to see all of gods country. We cut wood, and do tree work on 5-6 hunting ranches for trade, and wood for us. Sometimes I just load up the dogs, and go for a drive. My favorite loop is Skaggs springs, from healdsburg, up to tin barn, then king ridge road, and into Cazadero. I am also involved in lpro legislation, and fighting anti hunting, or anti gun, or sporting legislation. V.P for Ca houndsmen for conservation, then president of my own group and club the Alliance of dog men.

I had to look at a map to jog my memory. Have been all over that area. As a young boy, I frequently went steelhead fishing with my dad on the Russian River off Hwy 101 near Healdsburg. We hauled a carload of Boy Scouts to/from Hayward to the Royaneh Boy Scout Camp near Cazadero. Our son is a Captain in the Sacramento Metro Fire Dept and lives in Meadow Vista.

Back