Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you notice the different bark patterns on each of those trees. I have started to notice many different bark patterns depending on where the tree grows, its exposure to wind, sunlight and location, whether in a ravine, valley or hillside, the bark pattern changes.

You forgot fire:msp_smile:

You forgot fire:msp_smile:

Randy`s pict shows some fire damage, the trees that I have examined that had fire damage did not show any bark pattern changes. Fire does not damage the bark very deep in, the bark on the redwoods is many inches thick depending on age. I have seen bark from 2"-6" thick on the base of most Redwoods I have examined closely.

Did you notice the different bark patterns on each of those trees. I have started to notice many different bark patterns depending on where the tree grows, its exposure to wind, sunlight and location, whether in a ravine, valley or hillside, the bark pattern changes.
Yeah Jerry I did, and see this many places, never knew why the difference? Is it me or do some with wild spindly bark, have the similar in the grain of the wood? When I pulled green chain I noticed wild grain, birds eye, twist etc. Mario great to see ya!

Yeah Jerry I did, and see this many places, never knew why the difference? Is it me or do some with wild spindly bark, have the similar in the grain of the wood? When I pulled green chain I noticed wild grain, birds eye, twist etc. Mario great to see ya!

Well over here if the tree bark shows a twisting pattern the wood will have that quality, if the bark pattern runs straight with the trunk the wood will have a straight grain. When I cut a tree to mill for myself I pick the straightest grain bark pattern I can find, the wood will have very nice straight grain for boards that I don`t want to twist while drying. Heavier framing timbers can be cut from the more twisty grain logs, we let the logs dry as much as possible before milling them.

PDR_1117.jpg

I made a bunch of these.

stuff002.jpg

Last edited:
I made a bunch of these.

Seeing you like wood, I'm guessing over the years you've seen the inside of the Curly Redwood Lodge.

Just photographed some rooms for them New Years Eve day. There's a very nice table in the lobby that I don't have any closeup shots of. It's the table under the TV behind the tree in the lobby photo. It's as if the legs were split ... not cut. The edges, corners and surfaces are all wavy.

Gladiator was playing that night. I waited for "Lucilla" to show on screen rather than "Maximus" for the photo. Thought she would look better than the body armor.

Last edited:
Here's a few more shots I took of the rooms there. They are all fairly big, with one entire wall paneled with curly redwood, the front door apparently, and the posts between covered parking stalls.

Yep, the old Curly Lodge, one of a kind.
The LP Room at the Samoa Cookhouse was done in curly Doug Fir, I have never seen that wood anywhere else.
Some of the TPLC offices in Scotia were ACHVG OG Redwood, nice but it gets kinda bland after awhile.
My Grandfather had his office redone with knotty pine. The story goes he nailed it up over the Redwood.

Latest posts

Back