GTG in MA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bull, when you get a minute pm or email me the shop address so I can see how far away I am. Mapquest says 2 hrs to Essex from my place.

Not yet. Dean sent me a PM saying that it was shipped out late....
I was originally supposed to have an 044 with a 046 Big bore kit in it and then a stage 2 mdification done to that. Well during testing before shipping it spun a bearing so he took the top end and put it on a 046 and shipped that to me.
HMMMMM.

i really don't know stihl's too well but what is the advantage of that? isn't it defeating the purpose.........if putting a bigbore kit on a 440 is to give you more power in a lighter package then why would you then go with a heavier bottom end?

did you order a new ms440 from dean? what happened to the origional jug and piston from the saw? how do you feel about getting a heavier saw than you ordered?

kf_tree said:
i really don't know stihl's too well but what is the advantage of that? isn't it defeating the purpose.........if putting a bigbore kit on a 440 is to give you more power in a lighter package then why would you then go with a heavier bottom end?

did you order a new ms440 from dean? what happened to the origional jug and piston from the saw? how do you feel about getting a heavier saw than you ordered?

I originally ordered a 046 with the big bore kit and stage 2 modified. I then learned that he could make a 046 jug and piston fit on the 044. I thought great. Dean knew when he was building this saw that Iwanted it very quickly. During testing the bottom end failed either from the power exerted upon it or from just being a used saw. He told me this and I said go ahead with the 046 big bore kit modified and put it on an 046 chassis. Its not a huge deal to me. I just want the saw. Of course I would always prefer less weight and more power but if there is going to be durability issues with that scenario ill take the minor weight difference for a lot more power. He says it should run right around a stock 395!!! I am very excited to get this saw and run it to see hwat it has. Should be here tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.....

BostonBull said:
I originally ordered a 046 with the big bore kit and stage 2 modified. I then learned that he could make a 046 jug and piston fit on the 044. I thought great. Dean knew when he was building this saw that Iwanted it very quickly. During testing the bottom end failed either from the power exerted upon it or from just being a used saw. He told me this and I said go ahead with the 046 big bore kit modified and put it on an 046 chassis. Its not a huge deal to me. I just want the saw. Of course I would always prefer less weight and more power but if there is going to be durability issues with that scenario ill take the minor weight difference for a lot more power. He says it should run right around a stock 395!!! I am very excited to get this saw and run it to see hwat it has. Should be here tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.....

my mistake, i thought you were purchasing a brand new saw.

I wish I couldve afforded a new one. This was quite the expensive endeavor (for my pockets at least) The next saw will be brand new!

Well if you missed it on the other thread i have my saw now and iit runs great. It should be all broken in by the GTG and ready for some timed cutting!

Anyone over my way that's thinking of going and wants to split the gas let me know.

Is anyone bringing a log stand or will we have to fashion one out of a Bobcat or something along those lines?

I think with some racheting tie downs we could make something work with a bobcat. Or, if you have some 4x4's laying around, you could probably throw something together that'll work pretty well for the day.

Time?

Hi BB,

When's a good time to show up for the GTG this Saturday? Looks like we might get a break in the weather when this Nor'easter moves out and have a clear day.

Thanks,

Bob

I just wanted to thank BostonBull for having a nice GTG today. A few of us were there, the weather was great and we got to cut a lot of cookies. So many that BB had to back up the chipper so we could clear out the pile we made.

He has a big equipment yard with a lot of wood, so the next time he hosts a GTG, there's room for plenty more people. If anyone showed up with a 50" bar, there was a nice piece of maple that maybe the 50" bar could get through. But joking aside, there's any size and species of wood available right on site to have the makings of a big summer GTG.

We were missing two things, a digital camera and a stop watch. We did some crude timing (using the second hand on a clock) of the BigBore Washington Hotsaw Stihl 460 versus a stock Husky 395. BB had a piece of pine clamped in the skidsteer that was about 16 inches in diameter and both saws had 20 inch bars on them.

The 395 cut through in about 7 seconds and the BigBore 460 was around 9 seconds (with the 7 pin).

Earlier, BB swapped the 9 pin out of the 460 and put in a 7 pin and then leaned her out to around 13,900-14,100 or so. It seemed to cut a little better with the 7 pin versus the 9, so we were thinking maybe an 8 pin at 14,000 rpm would be the way to go, but all the saws with 8 pins were locked up in the chip trucks so that test will have to wait. Still, even with the 9 pin and the rpms set around 11,000 (out of the wood) it cut great but was a little bit sensitive to bogging down. The 8 pin might be the happy medium between chain speed and torque.

I'd recommend y'all keeping an eye out for the next time BostonBull has a GTG because he has a great facility, lots of equipment, and tons of wood so a good time will be had by all.

Thanks!

BostonBull said:
Max are you going to make it all the way over from China?

So far there has been about 7 definates.

hi bb,
i wish i could join you guys.
is that all you did yesterday ?
i had been expecting some video shots and photos of the gtg.
especially the 046 mod etc.:blob2:

I totally spaced out on the digital camera. I don't have digital video capabilities yet and I don't know if BostonBull does either. Maybe by the next GTG I'll have a digital video camera. I also need to get a stop watch! The way we did the timed cuts required the saw operator to look over at the guy (2cyblowtrch) manning the clock and then when he dropped his hand we'd start cutting. I think those time I listed could drop by 1 or 1.5 seconds if we just timed the cuts with a stop watch.

BostonBull came up with a great idea: the way the log grabber is set up on the skidsteer, it would be possible to grab two logs and also put a piece of 3/4 plywood between the two logs. This way we could have elimination racing: not racing against the clock, but racing against the guy on the other log. We'd have to match the logs pretty carefully to do this, but it would be fun.

Latest posts

Back