GTG saw box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cbfarmall and I seem to carpool to gtg's together since were pretty close to each other.

Seems a lot of the GTG's are some distance and so that means a night in a motel. We didn't want to do that with saws left in the back of a open truck so last year for the Poulan GTG we rented a small Uhaul trailer and actually pulled it with my car in hopes of saving some gas.

It worked ok but not great, saws were stuffed in and now way to keep them from beating each other up going down the road. To make matters worse the cars mileage dropped way more then I thought it would also.

I already owned a smaller 5x10 trailer so we got our heads together and decided to build a enclosed box to set on it with partitions to keep the saws separated and enclosed to be able to lock up.

Here is what we came up with, made mostly of plywood. I found out while building it that it seems I do my best woodworking with a chainsaw. :msp_rolleyes:

Mounted eyebolts in it so it can be easily lifted on or off the trailer while some of the lower partitions are adjustable for width.

Its first run was to the Iowa GTG and we were both pretty happy with the way it worked out. I didn't take pictures with the saws in it, but these should give a idea of it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Much more organized than the open two layer concept I put together a couple of years ago. As long as one of the hotel guests doesn't have a sw you are good to go.

As long as one of the hotel guests doesn't have a sw you are good to go.

Those hotel guest would be dummies if they didn't think these ole rednecks didn't know what a Colt was. :givebeer:

The main purpose of this was to keep the saws somewhat separated. A man works too hard to restore a saw to have it beat to hell or worse even broken on the ride to a GTG..

Those hotel guest would be dummies if they didn't think these ole rednecks didn't know what a Colt was. :givebeer:

The main purpose of this was to keep the saws somewhat separated. A man works too hard to restore a saw to have it beat to hell or worse even broken on the ride to a GTG..

Always remember than nothing says "pistol whip" like an N frame S&W. :biggrinbounce2:

so we got our heads together and decided to build a enclosed box to set on it with partitions to keep the saws separated and enclosed to be able to lock up.

I was, more or less, glorified labor. This was all Mark's doing. I will admit that I successfully dodged painting the darn thing.:msp_rolleyes:

As long as one of the hotel guests doesn't have a saw you are good to go.

No worries here. So many wood screws, he'll break every cutter before he finishes a cut.

Chris B.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread but, Machinist, if you think an N frame says pistol whip, what do you think an X frame says?

Mark's saw hauling solution has given me some inspiration as well (even though I've been impatiently waiting for pics for the last several weeks)... Whatever I end up doing will most likely be more redneck and less polished than what Mark and his laborer Chris ended up with....:givebeer:

So, it looks like the upper level 'tray' doesn't have suspension glides on it, just cleats above and below to keep it from tipping? Is that right?

Can you drive it home with the flaps open to blow all the chips off of the saws?

Looks nice. I like the way you adapted your open trailer to do this.

Philbert

I can give you some ideas for security that you can hear in your motel room IF somebody was going to try and break in while sleeping. Used to do this with those $1500 to $3500 apiece race saws in haul at races when we had a truck bed full. :msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back