Guess I'm building a splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBleedOrange

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was at Home Depot today, one with a rental center, talking to them about renting a chipper (which they no longer rent since everyone kept breaking it) and they mentioned they just repaired their log splitter. I asked what was broken (expecting to here the control valve, pump or the cylinder) with it and the guy point to the back corner of the room. Well it turned out to be the ibeam. The welds on the log strippers cracked and they are not allowed to weld anything, just replace with new parts. I asked what they planned to do with it, he stated it's headed to the dumpster tonight. So, I offered to save them a trip and promptly loaded in my truck.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm pricing the rest of the splitter now on Northern Tools.

I'll try and get pictures posted later tonight.

WOW *paint me green*!!

What a great score man! This should be posted in the "I got it for free thread"!! Just because they can't weld it sure doesn't mean you cant, you can do it make it better, stronger, faster.......It'll be da 60$ Machine!

:cheers: :) :) :chainsaw: :) :)

Sorry, didn't mean to miss lead anyone. After re-reading my original post I guess it was not clear, just the i-beam. I was wondering why everyone was so excited.:bang:

After pricing the needed pieces to complete the splitter I won't be saving all that much. I have a small trailer assembly and possible engine but need the cylinder, control valve, pump and all the little things to complete. Also, I found out today that TSC will honor my 20% off coupon from Home Depot on a splitter...sweeeet. I can get the 35 ton for $1279.20 + tax = $1343.16 out the door! I'll save the i-beam for another project.

You don't save much, but:

The fun of building it YOUR way, can't be beat.
Having the beam is a great start.
Then you have to decide how much engine you want/need.
The engine decides the size of pump, or is it the other way around?
The cylinder for a beam like that is probably 24" by a 4" bore.
A valve is not a great expense, hoses are not to bad. You can rig your own oil tank....

Anyway...
-Pat

I was going to build one but gave up once I saw the price differential and not to mention the lack of time I had. Anyhow...since you guys are talking about building one I have a question related to this thread. Are return lines from the valve to the filter and hydraulic tank generally hydraulic lines or are they simply a hose with a hose clamp? I returned an unnamed splitter from where I bought it two days after I bought it and after only 1 hour of use because the return line blew and fluid went all over me as well as all over my driveway. Lost at least 2gal of fluid. I thought it was a poor design and that all lines should have hydraulic fittings...even though the return line should theoretically not have back pressure. If a valve gets stuck or a filter gets clogged a line is going to blow so isn't the hose clamp a bad idea?

I hate to tell ya, but checking the clamps on those lines should be done regularly, especially when newly assembled.
I think having snap couplings on the returns is a bit of overkill that would only add to the price..

log splitter

If you are trying to save money on the splitter, and you have a tractor with remotes, you can use the tractor for the pump and you will only have to buy the cylinder, control valve, lines, and wedge. You can probably come in under $500.

attachment.php

Last edited:
hydraulic return lines

We usually just use light duty hose for return lines, but it should be made for oil (which is a different rubber compound than used for water), and it should have at least a cloth reinforcement embedded in the rubber. With a good hose barb, standard hose clamps should work fine. There shouldn't be much back pressure unless the hose, filter, or tank fitting are too small for the GPM going through it.
It is amazing how much oil comes out in a short time, isn't it?

Don the hydraulics guy

Back