Guess the amount of wood pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a busy day and added another 4 cord to the pile today. Hauled 2 cord in and cut and split another 2.

Scott

Here's what my SS and I have accomplished since it arrived in December. I won't make you guess. It's about 30 cords.

P.S. I know we've all taken sides on the stacked vs. thrown issue so anybody that strongly believes in stacking and needs practice...come on over. I'll supply the burgers and beer.

attachment.php

Those stacks do look nice, but I'd hate to be the one in charge of stacking that pile. :dizzy: I have a large pile of wood split last yar. Every morning I stack a little while the truck warms up. That's about as long a stacking session I can stand.

Those stacks do look nice, but I'd hate to be the one in charge of stacking that pile. :dizzy: I have a large pile of wood split last yar. Every morning I stack a little while the truck warms up. That's about as long a stacking session I can stand.

Last year I stacked about 12 cords. Wore out about 4 pairs of gloves and my elbow. As far as drying goes I'll take my chances. It's all on pallets and it gets a ton of sun and wind.

Good eye Doc. I erred on the conservative side since the pile isn't uniform width and height. I just got back from the pile and I think I could safely go with 50L x 14W x 10H and get about 39 cords. There's quite a bit of hickory on the right side and the rest is probably 90% oak with a little maple and ash miexd in.
OK. Let's use 40 cords for round numbers and 3400 lb per cord when dry.

You thus have 136,000 lb of premium firewood. At 8,600 BTU/lb that's 1,170,000,000 BTU or 1,170 MBTU. In natural gas equivalent energy, that's 1,170 mcf that would cost around here about $10,500. Or, figure about 8,400 gallons of heating oil or $16,000 depending on local market prices.

OK. Let's use 40 cords for round numbers and 3400 lb per cord when dry.

You thus have 136,000 lb of premium firewood. At 8,600 BTU/lb that's 1,170,000,000 BTU or 1,170 MBTU. In natural gas equivalent energy, that's 1,170 mcf that would cost around here about $10,500. Or, figure about 8,400 gallons of heating oil or $16,000 depending on local market prices.

I'll probably burn 6 myself and use the rest help my fellow citizens use a renewable energy resource and try to kick the oil habit. A good portion of the proceeds will then go to town, county and school district taxes. They are outrageous in NY. A little left over for Xmas.

In addition let's hope this thread helps answer some of the never ending questions and doubts people have about the Super Split.

Latest posts

Back