Guidebar ID help, please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Ray. Do you know of a guide for deciphering the ID? I Googled "36HU63STB" and got nada.
I have a couple mid 1980 application booklets for Oregon and Windsor. Trouble is their numbering systems have changed ( not sure how many times) from the 1960's to present.
The Oregon bar - can't find 13381 or 3663B0579 in the booklets . A guess would be 36"
.063 but would have to look at the bar mount and compare to to the mounts on M.Acres site or in a booklet.

Windsor bar 36" .063 gauge .404 pitch speed tip
HU is a large Husqvarna mount D009
108 drive links
The mystery deepens. I think I got that bar as a spare with a 2100CD I bought 8-10 years ago, so the Husky mount makes sense. However, the tip on the Windsor is 3/8 which, of course, could have been changed. I pulled out a reel of 3/8" chain and it takes 119 DL to make a loop which matches 37" bars I found at Bailey's - their bar selector is a useful tool for such things. So I'm thinking either the bar was mis-stamped or a new nose changed the specs significantly. Side by side with Stihl and Oregon 36" bars, the Windsor is a tad more than an inch longer.

Looked at the Windsor 1988 application guide it lists 36HU63 as 108 links for .404 and 119 links for 3/8" chain. The B tip for the STB is .404 so maybe they changed the tip to 3/8
That makes a bunch of sense. Interesting that it is marked 36" when most bars of that length take 113-115 DLs in 3/8". And, as noted, the bar is noticeably longer than other 36" bars. Is there a marketing downside to calling it 37", I wonder?

What about the Oregon bar? Does the bar mount match the Windsor bar?
It's a hardnose, .o63 gauge, so pitch isn't an issue. The mount is (I'm pretty sure) large Stihl (3002). It is also about an inch longer than other 36" bars. Of course, Stihl's 25" is the same 84 DLs as (almost) everyone else's 24".

Back