gutless turd?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have cut quite a few cottonwood/poplars with both stihl and husky saws. some times they can be as hard a cutting wood as you will find. When making the top cut on your notch some of them seem to expand and pinch the bar . I noticed that when the operator in the video cut the bottom of his notch, the saw went through like cutting butter. the only thing I saw lacking in the video was a qualified chainsaw operator to do the cutting.

Jeff

Well if that's truly an extremely tough species, black locust? that might explain why the saw seems so gutless (and why that tree's sitting out in that field alone) that's if the chain IS sharp, then that's a mighty tough wood, any chainsaw would devour a poplar that size easy, looking again, if the chain WAS blunt, you'd think the saw would be screaming blue murder, not bogging so easily, there's a tree species down here, not black locust but black maire - unbelievably hard to cut, even old 280 huskys come to grief, the best saws for that super-hard stuff are the big old slow torquey beasts or else skip chains and dramas

Well if that's truly an extremely tough species, black locust? that might explain why the saw seems so gutless (and why that tree's sitting out in that field alone) that's if the chain IS sharp, then that's a mighty tough wood, any chainsaw would devour a poplar that size easy, looking again, if the chain WAS blunt, you'd think the saw would be screaming blue murder, not bogging so easily, there's a tree species down here, not black locust but black maire - unbelievably hard to cut, even old 280 huskys come to grief, the best saws for that super-hard stuff are the big old slow torquey beasts or else skip chains and dramas

That is not black locust. Black locust has a gnarly orange bark.

That does look like poplar of some sort.

That aint locust of any species. That is some IDIOT making a STUPID video. I hope that moron really thinks that saw is a gutless turd. I'd sure take it off his stupid hands. Retarted waste of web space like that should be illegal, Im sorry I wasted my time watching it.:sucks:

That aint locust of any species. That is some IDIOT making a STUPID video. I hope that moron really thinks that saw is a gutless turd. I'd sure take it off his stupid hands. Retarted waste of web space like that should be illegal, Im sorry I wasted my time watching it.:sucks:

:laugh:

Yes I think it's a poplar my guess is Cotton wood.

Send it on up here to Washington, we'll take it.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sure thing Mntaingal, right after she's wore out and I'm done with 'er. Hope ya can wait a little while, cuz at this rate it'll be awhile........like maybe 20 years or so.;) :chainsaw:

I'll take it, where we gonna meet?! :)

Hmmmm, Mtaingal spoke up first so looks like she got first dibs. But if she doesn't want it twenty or so years from now, it's all yours........:jester:

From the sound of the 036 in the video, it sounds like a very poorly adjusted carb, old fuel, a partially blocked spark arrester, a super dull chain, and an idiot for an operator. I wonder If the guy in the video used the classic angled back cut to finish that tree off? These people are a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

I see this garbage all too often where I work. It's aways the mechanic's or dealers fault that their saw doesn't perform. I had one guy tell me I did a horrible job sharpening his saw chains, and he wanted his chains sharpened for free. I said wait a second...those chains were razor sharp after I sharpened them there's no reason the shouldn't cut...What are you cutting? The guy said he's sawing tree stumps out. I told the customer it does not matter what chain you use or how I sharpen them, no chain will hold up to the careless sawing of stumps short of using a carbide chain.

I had another guy come in to have his saw tuned up. The saw just needed a spark plug, clean spark arrestor, a chain sharpening, a new fuel line, fuel pick up body, rim sprocket, fresh fuel, and a good carb adjustment. the saw ran like a champ. The guy comes back a few days later his saw is not working good! and he wants it fixed for free. One quick smell of the rancid 10 year old fuel told me what was going on. I said to the guy you need to dump out your rancid fuel and go to the gas station and buy a gallon of fresh fuel. The guy said, old fuel doesn't have anything to do with his saw not running good. So I took him back the the shop, dumped out his rancid piss fuel, filled the tank with new fuel, started the saw. The saw spit and sputtered along for a bit, then cleared up and ran like a champ again. I haven't seen the guy since. Maybe he took my advise and bought some fresh fuel, or maybe he went to terrorize some other small engine shop. Who knows.

I had another guy come in with an echo cs-440. He whined that we sold him the wrong chain. He wanted a 33SL chain, we only had 33LG chain. Somehow he felt that even though both chains were 0.050" gauge, 0.325" pitch and 78 drivers, the non safety 33LG chain would not turn on his saw. But for some reason the 33SL could. It couldn't be the woreout/cut completely in two spur sprocket...no those never wear out. So after arguing for 10 minutes that his sprocket was shot causing all the problems, I finally was able to install a new sprocket & chain and send him on his merry way.

I could go on and on with stories about dealing with idiots. It amazes me how these people get out of bed in t he morning.

Nick

It seems like a sort of coincidence, but everytime someone brings in a saw or string trimmer for service with rancid fuel. The owners somehow feel they can remedy the bad situation by turning the HS & LS needles in shutting off the fuel. I see this crap about 3 or 5 times a month.

What's funny too is some of the small Husky 36, 136, 41, 141 saws, and Weedeater products have the splined tamper resistant* needle screws. Some of these idiots decide to use a pair of pliers to make their own carb adjustments, and they just end up screwing everything up. Then they bring it in for service. It's a PITA to get those chewed up carb needle screws out. Most of the time you can't use the service tool to remove the needle screws because they are so badly chewed up. So you end up taking the carb off and taking a dremel/cut off wheel to cut slots into the needle screw head, removing with sloted screw driver. Then they want it fixed for free too or they want it fixed under warranty. It's never their fault they screwed up.

Nick

Last edited:

Bow you must admit that was an amusing video, the poor guy was losing face by the minute, I liked the bit where he grabs the scarf wood, hoping like hell it'd ping out, but no such luck, should've smacked it with the bar tip, may have even gotten to see the back-cut drama that followed

Heck, no, he shoulda stuck the tip of the bar in there, leaned all his weight on the saw, pried it out that way.

My 036 will idle great. Seemed he had to keep revvin' it to keep it running. Or, he thought he had to keep revvin'. Or, he's one of those types that just rev all the time. I've been riding bikes for 40 yr. Pull up to a stoplight next to another bike, often times the rider will sit there, twisting the grip and revvin' the entire time waitin' for the light to change.

Last edited:
Karma, justice or whatever....

Well even if this little brain didn't learn proper saw maintenance, cutting techniques and the use of PPE I think he learned a valuable ebay lesson. If you're going to post a vid of your product for auction promotion purposes you damned well better make sure it makes your merchandise look good!!:bang:

$256 for decent looking 036, he done got SPANKED!! :buttkick:

I've seen scratched up, bent handled, broken, chipped and generally beat saws go for twice that.

Back