HA HA HA!!! I got mine!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skwerl

Will Climb for food
Reaction score
Since the new Stihl and HUsky 72cc saws are getting such lukewarm reviews and my two modded 372's are the baddest 15 lb saws I've ever run, I decided at the last minute to try and get two more new 372's to stick under the workbench for when I wear out my old ones. I called Madsen's this morning (the last known major online retailer to have any left) and was relieved to find that they still had about 5-6 left. They do have the full wrap handles but that isn't a big issue. I can always swap it out if I don't like it (never used a full wrap before).

So any of you suckers still want to get hold of a brand new 372 before they are gone forever, Madsen's might have a couple left. I doubt they will last through tomorrow.
:blob2:

If Gypo can port a saw, then I figure pretty much any monkey with a mellonballer can make some good gains. Ain't nuthin to it!!!

good for you rocky, i got my boss to buy 3 when bills had them for 489.00 i have 2 new in the box stashed in my basement. i'm curious about the 7900's though, ed has mine now:D .

Skwerl, funny you should mention it. I was at my local delaer this weekend to pick up some files. I walked over to the Husky display and there were two brand new 372XPs. I new right then I was in trouble. I was in there a few weeks ago and all he had was the 575XPs (among others). I talked to him for a while and he ended up giving me a decent price for a powerhead (1/2 wrap). Within a few bucks of Madsens. Oh yea.......he gave me my files for free.:)

The shop sells mostly large power equipment but they also sell Stihl saws. We talked for a while about the different sales strategy the 2 companies use. It was interesting to get his perspective. As you can imagine he is not fond of the Husqvarna policies. People like me coming in all day quoting internet prices. He said if Husqvarna was gone tomorrow he wouldn't blink an eye.

Good show Rocky! Next one the wears out on you, clip 1mm off the intake and one off the exhaust and your off to the races!
John

John, you really think so? I'm willing to give it a try if it's really that easy. Where can I buy the porting tools I'll need?

so how much did it set ya back? I just picked up parts this evening to make my 365 a 372....anyone else confirm the 1mm off the piston skirts? I might have to before it gets reassembled...

Rocky, I got this in an email yesterday at work, and immediately thought of you. It's the powertrain from one of my helos, an HH-65, which is why it was circulating at work. The rest is self-explanatory.

I didn't know where to post this. I didn't want to start a new thread just for this, so I thought I'd throw it into one of your threads. As you were....

Jeff

Forget the teeth...watch those rotors!

I had two flying squirrels till recently (RIP) and am kinda partial to them over the greys. But hey, that's one cool grey.

Any differences between a 372 and a 365-based 372? I suppose cylinders and pistons will continue to be available and folks who REALLY miss the 372 can build thier own right?

KF, be sure and post vids of your 7900/372 comparo. Or has this already been done?

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
KF, be sure and post vids of your 7900/372 comparo. Or has this already been done?

Chaser

ed has the 7900 now, when i get it back in a few weeks i'll put some vids up comparing them with the same bar and chain.

skwerl said:
John, you really think so? I'm willing to give it a try if it's really that easy. Where can I buy the porting tools I'll need?
Hi Rocky, I will start a new thread about the 372 port timing figures. I just need to verify the stock figures first. Although basic dremel accesories like carbide cutters, files and grinding stones can be used successfully, I will be getting more attachments to make things easier and quicker.
John

lurk.gif

Just in case anyone feels in the mood to enlighten me, consider this... I recently purchased a decent appearing 272xp; I have only run it for a few test cuts (bout 1/2 tank of fuel) but wasn't overly impressed with power pulling 20" new full chisel chain though both soft and harder wood. I believe its running pretty well but I expected faster cutting than the 359 that I have been using. It didn't seem much different but I didn't do any scientific tests.
Any thoughts on differences between 272 and 372? A little history?
And if there are any things to look for that may be some commonly applied upgrades for the 272? Or should I just get a newer saw? A bigger saw?
Thanks, woojr

I think the general concensus (sp?) is that the 372 is a much stronger running saw than the 272 was. I had a 670 jonsered (same basic saw as 268xp husky) that I sold to buy the 372xp. I was under-impressed with the 372 when I first got it but I think the gradual performance increase with break-in has sort of crept up on me. I was never able to run the saws side by side to get a really accurate feeling but I guess timed cuts in the same block would be the best way to know for sure. I think your 272xp would have more noticeable power in wood over 20".

Got mine too

skwerl said:
Since the new Stihl and HUsky 72cc saws are getting such lukewarm reviews and my two modded 372's are the baddest 15 lb saws I've ever run, I decided at the last minute to try and get two more new 372's to stick under the workbench for when I wear out my old ones. I called Madsen's this morning (the last known major online retailer to have any left) and was relieved to find that they still had about 5-6 left. They do have the full wrap handles but that isn't a big issue. I can always swap it out if I don't like it (never used a full wrap before).

So any of you suckers still want to get hold of a brand new 372 before they are gone forever, Madsen's might have a couple left. I doubt they will last through tomorrow.
:blob2:
Called Madsen's today and was pleased to find out that they had about 30 372's left and that they were in the process of power tuning a handfull of them. So naturally I had to order one. I concur with Skwerl that it is the baddest 15lb saw I have run. So I will just keep it in the box till my other one gives up the ghost. Happy Shopping

It's about time. My saws came today, UPS dropped them off about 2PM. Not sure I like the full wrap handle because it is RIGHT in front of the chain adjust screw and the rear bar nut. I prefer the large Stihl scrench but cannot get on the rear bar nut with it, so I have to use the tiny, wimpy Husky scrench. Oh well, I'll give it a try and can always change out the handle later if it is a PITA.

I only assembled one of the two, fueled it up and put a brand new GB Titanium bar and Stihl RSC chain on it. Shoved a screwdriver in the exhaust deflector and pried it up slightly (looked like it was bent down almost closed). The saw fired on the 4th pull and sounds surprisingly strong for a stock saw. Seems to rev up almost as fast as my ported 372's. I'll see if I can get an opportunity to use it in the next week just to see how a stock one feels.

Back