had a chat with stihl rep

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Stihl Ultra not have some sort of conditioner in it assuming there is "some" ethanol in the fuel it is to be mixed with?

If you read the fine print carefully, they claim only a .7% increase in octane and I'm sure I've missed something in reading it. Bet that it's influenced by the amount additive to the gallon as well. RIP OFF is correct.

Dumping the ethanol off the real gas will decrease the octane and is not recommended, however, I've read several article's saying that it didn't harm equipment. I will not take the chance and will make sure my gas is the freshest I can get, buy in small quantities and use it all. A 2.5 gallon jug lasts me just a little under 30 days. Dump whats left in the lawn mower and try to use ethanol free in the saws when I can get it.

Then there is the issue if you buy high test from a pump that only has one hose and you are filling a small can and the last car at the pump bought regular you are getting a lot of regular in there! :cry::dizzy::potstir:

Never thought of that before. The stations up here have a hose for each grade, but next time I need premium non-oxy from a single-hose fuel station, I'll be sure to pump a few gallons into the truck before filling the can. :clap: :clap:

Never thought of that before. The stations up here have a hose for each grade, but next time I need premium non-oxy from a single-hose fuel station, I'll be sure to pump a few gallons into the truck before filling the can. :clap: :clap:

And you still don't know how old it is. Are you buying at a high volume station? Wher i live i get it from a Wawa station on a main highway and you can tell they do volume by all the cars in line and I always see delivery tankers.

Does Stihl Ultra not have some sort of conditioner in it assuming there is "some" ethanol in the fuel it is to be mixed with?
I just talked with the Stihl rep at Omni Specialty Packaging in Shreveport. La. last week about Stihl Ultra.

(they are the blender for the Castrol formula for Ultra for shipment in the U.S.)

No mention of any additive for ethanol..just a stabilizer to help keep the gas 'fresh'.

I would think that if there was something added for the ethanol..it would have been mentioned by them.
:cheers:
J2F

And you still don't know how old it is. Are you buying at a high volume station? Wher i live i get it from a Wawa station on a main highway and you can tell they do volume by all the cars in line and I always see delivery tankers.

Yeah, it's high volume. We only live in a town of 3,700, but it's a huge seasonal tourist town for fishing and snowmobiling (with gobs of summer/seasonal lake cabin owners), and the non-oxy premium pumps at the C-store on my end of town get constant use.

Use E10 supreme grade 91 octane fuel.
When you purchase fuel, don't buy it from a filling station that permits different blends to be dispensed from the same hose.
Keep the carb adjusted properly. Get a tachometer and use it often.
Since reformulated fuel causes the engine to run leaner, enrichen the carburetor when running it. This is especially important on the high speed adjustment.
Keep the engine's cooling system in good working order. Make sure the air passages in the starter housing are not blocked with wood chips. Also see that all the cylinder's cooling fins and air passages are clean.
Use either Stihl or Husky brand mix oil. Avoid multi-purpose two-cycle lubricants even if they are sold by a big oil company with a good reputation.
Mix gas and oil at a 50:1 ratio for both Stihl and Husky pro saws. Mix accurately and don't add extra oil.
Mix fuel in small quantities. Fill the container halfway with raw fuel. Add all the mix oil. Fill the container the rest of the way with fuel. Agitate if possible.
Don't use mixed fuel if it is over six weeks old. Tests show that as the mix ages, the oil is less likely to stay suspended in the fuel, even if agitated.
Once fuel is mixed, use all the fuel in a container before adding any more. No portion of the fuel should be over six weeks old.

Even here in the dust bowl,Kansas, ive got three gas stations claiming no alcohol, one is the last full service station in Junction City, KS., pop. about 20 grand. What scares me though is i hear it all arrives via a single pipeline about 90 miles North. Sumtin's fishy

Ethanol cannot be sent through pipelines because it’s too corrosive. The Ethanol and most other additives are blended with the gasoline as it’s loaded into the tanker truck and/or as it’s being off-loaded at the pump and/or as it’s being dispensed from the pump. The gasoline being sent through the pipelines is of low octane rating (well below any pump rating); it’s the blending of additives that brings the octane up to pump rating. This is how one pipeline substation can service all gas stations of any brand name in its area… because all the additives that increase the octane level and make Shell gasoline what it is, and Amaco gasoline what it is, and BP gasoline what it is, and 76 gasoline what it is, and brand X gasoline what it is, are all blended at some point after the pipeline.

Ethanol cannot be sent through pipelines because it’s too corrosive. The Ethanol and most other additives are blended with the gasoline as it’s loaded into the tanker truck and/or as it’s being off-loaded at the pump and/or as it’s being dispensed from the pump. The gasoline being sent through the pipelines is of low octane rating (well below any pump rating); it’s the blending of additives that brings the octane up to pump rating. This is how one pipeline substation can service all gas stations of any brand name in its area… because all the additives that increase the octane level and make Shell gasoline what it is, and Amaco gasoline what it is, and BP gasoline what it is, and 76 gasoline what it is, and brand X gasoline what it is, are all blended at some point after the pipeline.

What brand do you like?

I like the ethanol that's blended in KY, then stored in white Oak barrels for 8-10 years...
It's a little brown when it comes out, but way better than the stuff from the gas station...
:msp_wink:

… Perhaps you should run for office on an anti-ethanol platform…
Aaaaaaa… No, that ain’t gonna’ happen. First, I ain’t got the temperament. Second, I have a past that makes that a bit impossible. And third, I couldn’t handle the cut in pay (as an honest politician that is).
… Or you could become a grassroots organizer…
I am…sort’a (more like an activist), in what spare time I have. But workin’ it full-time … well, just read the three reasons above.

What brand do you like?
I ain’t brand partial… The two closest places selling Ethanol free 91 octane are both independents. I buy my Ethanol free 87 octane for the four-cycle engines at whatever place is on the way home. I don’t believe there’s a nickels worth of difference between any of them… it’s all loaded with additives, always has been. There ain’t any such thing as 100% pure gasoline sold at the pump… never has been.

While I agree with you regarding the harshness of language used as being in appropriate, IMHO there doesn't seem to be any intent by the poster to do any of those things in rule 10. While you may find such language not to your liking, as distasteful as it may be, it clearly wasn't intended to harm you or be hateful in any way.

So please stop trying to impose your value judgements on posters here that may not share all of you religious rules and judgements.

Oh and to the poster in question, please try to clean your rants up a little so as not to offend those with narrower views of the world.

You Sir, are wrong.

From the guidelines.

10.# You are not permitted to post or mention information that contains content intended to victimize, harass, degrade, or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, gender, race, ethnicity, age, disability, or sexual orientation. Hate speech of any type will result in suspension at ArboristSite.com.

Lw....

I can get avgas at the airport be me but cant get pump gas with no ethanol. What do you guys think of avgas? This article on gas from Madsens says no good.

Fuel for Pro Saws

I've been using 100LL av-gas for about five years now. The last four years it's all I've used. It's consistently good and it keeps well. Depending on your saw you may have to retune a tiny bit but other than that I've had no problems with it.

I don't think ethanol gas is all that bad but there's really no way to know until you run it through your saw. I used to buy my saw gas from mom and pop stores and some of it ran real well. Some of it didn't run worth a damn. It was always a crap-shoot as far as quality went and a couple of times I wound up with real garbage and a short day in the woods because of bad fuel.

Av-gas is formulated to very strict standards and it's always filtered well at the pump. I'm not saying that everybody should switch to it but it's worked out well for me. It's good fuel and you know it from jump...that counts for a lot.

Back