had a chat with stihl rep

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem with what Madsens says. They know a lot and they work on saws every day. I'm sure they have their reasons but maybe they haven't had a lot of experience yet with saws on a steady diet of 100LL.

I was just relating my own experience with av-gas and how it's worked for me. Like I said, 4 years of hard cutting in a production environment and there hasn't been even one fuel related problem. Gotta like that.

While I agree with you regarding the harshness of language used as being in appropriate, IMHO there doesn't seem to be any intent by the poster to do any of those things in rule 10. While you may find such language not to your liking, as distasteful as it may be, it clearly wasn't intended to harm you or be hateful in any way.

So please stop trying to impose your value judgements on posters here that may not share all of you religious rules and judgements.

Oh and to the poster in question, please try to clean your rants up a little so as not to offend those with narrower views of the world.

And I'll say again...
Tzed does not need you to police his posts...
If you have something you'd like to add about the use of ethanol, by all means, feel free.
If not?
Find someone else who wants to listen to your drivel...

No problem with what Madsens says. They know a lot and they work on saws every day. I'm sure they have their reasons but maybe they haven't had a lot of experience yet with saws on a steady diet of 100LL.

I was just relating my own experience with av-gas and how it's worked for me. Like I said, 4 years of hard cutting in a production environment and there hasn't been even one fuel related problem. Gotta like that.

Well it sure would be good to put in saws that are going to sit a long while.

My neighbor has an airplane and hanger on his farm next to me. He flys regularly, and has a truck deliver fuel directly to him about twice a year. I'm guessing either it's good fuel and stores well?
Or he's flirting with disaster? At least you can walk back to the truck with an in-operable saw.
His legs ain't that long...
:hmm3grin2orange:

And I'll say again...
Tzed does not need you to police his posts...

Hmmmmm….. I wasn’t gonna’ get into this, but…
Tzed250 has a totally different sense of morality than me, and that’s OK if it works for him… but he has no business imposing it on me or anyone. He believes I have taken the lords name in vain, I believe I have not. I did not use the lords name in an empty, hollow, worthless or false way… that is what “vain” is.

So let’s look at those two statements…
First - “Good God man, the solutions are so simple…
So how did I mean that? Well, it’s the same as saying, “As sure as there is a God, the solutions are so simple…” Where is that wrong? Now if I had said, “God told me, the solutions are so simple…”, well that would have been using lords name in vain… because God didn’t tell me that.
Second - “Christ man, we are literally burning our food supply…
It’s the same thing, I was saying, “As sure as there’s a Christ, we are literally burning our food supply…”
Now if I had said, “Christ said, we are literally burning our food supply…”, that would be taking the lords name in vain… because Christ didn’t say that.

The lords name is used in vain every day and people like Tzed250 never even blink eye because they have a warped sense of morality (in my opinion). How many times have you hear someone say, “God bless …………….” when they don’t truly mean it? That’s using the lords name in vain (an empty, hollow, worthless or false way).

Last edited:
Tzed250 has a totally different sense of morality than me, and that’s OK if it works for him… but he has no business imposing it on me or anyone. He believes I have taken the lords name in vain, I believe I have not. I did not use the lords name in an empty, hollow, worthless or false way… that is what “vain” is.

So how did I mean that? Well, it’s the same as saying, “As sure as there is a God, the solutions are so simple…” Where is that wrong? Now if I had said, “God told me, the solutions are so simple…”, well that would have been using lords name in vain… because God didn’t tell me that.
It’s the same thing, I was saying, “As sure as there’s a Christ, we are literally burning our food supply…[/i]”
Now if I had said, “Christ said, we are literally burning our food supply…[/i]”, that would be taking the lords name in vain… because Christ didn’t say that.

The lords name is used in vain every day and people like Tzed250 never even blink eye because they have a warped sense of morality (in my opinion). How many times have you hear someone say, “God bless …………….” when they don’t truly mean it? That’s using the lords name in vain (an empty, hollow, worthless or false way).

I just figure that's between you and the offended party...
I was putting the ka-bosh on the interloper... Who, in butting in, was guilty of what he was accusing Tzed of. No???
See?
:confident:

I like the ethanol that's blended in KY, then stored in white Oak barrels for 8-10 years...
It's a little brown when it comes out, but way better than the stuff from the gas station...
:msp_wink:

I prefer the stuff from TN and it doesn't have the name Jack in it, but rather Di ckel.

Does anyone realize many areas of the country (Connecticut for one state) have been running E10, and before that MTBE, since 1995? Should be get rid of ethanol? YES! But until we do, run StaBil Marine, Seafoam or Lucas Oil's Safeguard and problems will go away.

I usually fill four 5 gallon gas cans, which will last most of the lawn mowing season. When I get home, I add fuel stabilizer to each can, and amazingly i don't have fuel issues. I fill my two cycle fuel can and add fuel stabilizer to that. No issues, even after 2+ months of sitting. Use fuel stabilizers regularly and issues become less and less. It isn't a cure-all, but it better than rebuilding saws.

bob

I've been using 100LL av-gas for about five years now.

I'm sure I can get av-gas at our airport outside town. But here's my question: Do you see any real gains in 100 octane av-gas over 91-92 octane non-ethanol premium?

I am…sort’a (more like an activist).

I say organizer, you say activist. It's a potato vs potahto kind of thing. Empowering people to enact change from the ground up is both organizing and activating. I was a community/grassroots organizer/activist for 2 years in Minnesota, Wisconsin and N.D. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure I can get av-gas at our airport outside town. But here's my question: Do you see any real gains in 100 octane av-gas over 91-92 octane non-ethanol premium?

I don't know, I've never run 91/92 non-e. If I could depend on a steady source I might try it. Around where I work it just isn't available.

I'm with Bob here, except it's Beam Black.

I do something very similar with the power equipment gas too. I run the regular dose of StaBil Marine (it's way better than the regular StaBil) and Startron together. I get the mid grade gas from the nearby Valero that sells a lot of fuel and is known around here to be trouble free. I run thru about 5 gal a month between snowblower, rider mower, chipper, weed wacker, blower, and chainsaws. I dose each 5 gal can when I bring it home, store it outside in a red plastic fuel jug. I haven't had a problem in any equipment with this regime. I mix 2-cycle fuel 1 gal at a time with Stihl Ultra from the treated 5 gal can. That's been trouble free too.

However, once early this summer I ran out of StaBil Marine and forgot to dose a fresh 5 gal can of gas. I wound up filling the 2 gal tank on my rider mower as soon as I got home with it and mowed the lawn fine, burning about 3/4 of that tank. A week later I start up the mower and it runs for 5 min. and stalls out, like it's out of gas. Then I remember that I forgot to treat that 5 gal of gas. So I drain the bottom quart off of the mower tank into a clean jar. I got 2/3 qt gas on top of 1/3 qt of a phase separated ethanol/water mix after only 1 week. So I drain that tank and decant the gas off the ethanol/water mix and do the same with the rest in the fuel jug and dump the gas in my truck with some Startron. There was about another 1/2 qt of phase separated ethanol/water in the 3 gal remaining in the gas can. Then I go and refill and dose up a new 5 gal of gas and come home and clean the carb bowl full of ethanol/water mix out of the mower carb. Everything started right up and has run fine since. I'm just glad that I only put that untreated gas in the mower and not a 2-cycle as that big B&S engine is a lot less fragile.

I guess the lesson here is find a gas treatment regime that works for you and stick to it. If you hit a problem running anything stop the equipment right away and look at the gas first.

BTW, I really wish someone made see-thru gas cans so that we could better access the condition of the fuel before using it.

I prefer the stuff from TN and it doesn't have the name Jack in it, but rather Di ckel.

Does anyone realize many areas of the country (Connecticut for one state) have been running E10, and before that MTBE, since 1995? Should be get rid of ethanol? YES! But until we do, run StaBil Marine, Seafoam or Lucas Oil's Safeguard and problems will go away.

I usually fill four 5 gallon gas cans, which will last most of the lawn mowing season. When I get home, I add fuel stabilizer to each can, and amazingly i don't have fuel issues. I fill my two cycle fuel can and add fuel stabilizer to that. No issues, even after 2+ months of sitting. Use fuel stabilizers regularly and issues become less and less. It isn't a cure-all, but it better than rebuilding saws.

bob

I was putting the ka-bosh on the interloper... Who, in butting in, was guilty of what he was accusing Tzed of. No???

Oh yes Hedgerow... i know what you were doing.
Just 'cause i was quoting you doesn't mean I was arguing with ya', or even disagreeing.
I just used your post to quantify where I was coming from.

I say let's just drop the whole God thing... Yes???

While I agree with you regarding the harshness of language used as being in appropriate, IMHO there doesn't seem to be any intent by the poster to do any of those things in rule 10. While you may find such language not to your liking, as distasteful as it may be, it clearly wasn't intended to harm you or be hateful in any way.

So please stop trying to impose your value judgements on posters here that may not share all of you religious rules and judgements.

Oh and to the poster in question, please try to clean your rants up a little so as not to offend those with narrower views of the world.

It’s the same thing, I was saying, “As sure as there’s a Christ, we are literally burning our food supply…”
Now if I had said, “Christ said, we are literally burning our food supply…”, that would be taking the lords name in vain… because Christ didn’t say that.

Call it synchronicity, happenstance, whatever. As I waited in the Great Machipongo for our scallops, shrimp, and crabcakes to finish I was reading this thread. After paying for our dinner I walked toward the door pondering a reply. Just before I went to open the door I looked up for who knows what reason.

I immediately thought of you two...

Untitled by zweitakt250, on Flickr

I don't concern myself with fuel related saw failures anymore. I don't lose any sleep over it, nor do I have to take a side on the ethanol / non-ethanol debate that keeps coming up. I've been using nothing but pre-mixed TruFuel brand mix in my saws. $4.32 per quart at Wally's all day long. A little too pricey for those who use their saws daily, or regularly, but for the average saw enthysiast and weekend warrior / urban logger, it's affordable and probably the best choice.

I don't concern myself with fuel related saw failures anymore. I don't lose any sleep over it, nor do I have to take a side on the ethanol / non-ethanol debate that keeps coming up. I've been using nothing but pre-mixed TruFuel brand mix in my saws. $4.32 per quart at Wally's all day long. A little too pricey for those who use their saws daily, or regularly, but for the average saw enthysiast and weekend warrior / urban logger, it's affordable and probably the best choice.

I wonder where that gas comes from? At that cost I could just seize mine up and use the money I saved to rebuild it.

Last edited:
I'm with Rooster. Every time I go to HD, Lowes, or Walmart I grab a bottle of tru fuel. I have a nice stash built up. If I go down east for a few days I might burn 6-10 bottles but I don't feel the pain because it is part of my regular purchase routine. It is almost odorless and my saws always start great and run smoothly. Tru Fuel-4.29$ a can. Not worrying about posts like this- Priceless! Russ

so if i have 2 cans of mix.

1 has ethanol free 87 octane gas and stihl's ultra oil
2 has ethanol 89 octane gas, stihl's ultra oil, and a shot of stabilizer

which one would you fill up out of?

Latest posts

Back