Had to make a wood lifter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A family friend gave me this jack and decided to use it to make a log lifter for the stove. Normally not a big deal as if I can pick it up, I'll burn it. This year I'm going to have shoulder surgery and be one armed through most of the heating season so I needed to come up with something before then. I had loaded the furnace house prior to all this and have 15 cord in there. Didn't want to bother family and friends to load so this is why I'm doing this. Don't want to modify the jack that it can't be put back and used normally so we'll see what we can come up with.

MVC-002S.JPG

Here is the jack. It is an older bumper jack style and has quite a bit of lift to it. It has safety locks in the siderails that will hold in case the jack gives way. Hand pump is on an eccentric and has a high release on the back side. Really a nicely build jack.

MVC-001S.JPG

The rails with pads slide out and are adjustable, width wise. Jacks piston was froze and pin sheared off so I took it all apart and pressed the piston out. Cleaned the bore and piston and O ring was fine. Put it all back together and it works fine with no leaks. Kind of happy about that one!

MVC-003S.JPG

Here is is at full up and it has more than enough reach to get into the boiler.I just have to come up with a holder for the rounds. I want to stand them on the end and then just push them over into the stove. One big round a load will be fine.

MVC-004S.JPG

Just a little over 29 inches high as you can see.

MVC-005S.JPG

The extendable arms have a pin that keeps them from over extending. One pin and a spring clip is what holds them in. that was easy.

MVC-006S.JPG

I'll put these away to use them when I'm back to normal.

MVC-007S.JPG

My plan is to extend another box beam out to the edge of the feet. That should be more than enough to keep them there. There are no wheels on the from of this so that will have to be addressed too. It was designed to roll in place and let it rest on the floor to jack. I want to roll the weight around.

MVC-001S_1.JPG

2 thicknesses of 1 1/2" box gets me level. I'll do shorts on the ends so it clears the center bracket.

MVC-002S_1.JPG

I needed really small, heavy duty casters so I decided to just make them. Easiest spot to mount them was space limited so I just used 3/16 x 1 strap. Drilled the holes and angled the corners.

MVC-003S_1.JPG

Went to the junk drawer and got some thrust bearings for the swivel. Got some hardened stock for a spacer to go inside to neck it down and make them work nice. Made the spacer about .020 smaller in thickness than the bearing so it'll be smooth.

MVC-004S_1.JPG

Wheels are hardened tool steel as w

MVC-007S_1.JPG

Repeated the same on the other one.

MVC-008S.JPG

I then ground them flat with a 9 inch angle grinder. This is what the bearing washer rides on so it has to be flat to make it work nice.

MVC-009S.JPG

Like I said, they are LOW profile. Doesn't need too much as not really that much weight but I though plastic would give up quick as the jack itself has some girth to it.ell, Sometimes keeping junk pays off. i surface ground the ends and made them the same length.

MVC-005S_1.JPG

I then TIG welded it all up.

MVC-006S_1.JPG

Clamped it all in a bench vise for welding. Put the wheel in to keep the size and alignment right.

MVC-001S_2.JPG

Back to the extension. I started by cutting out all the pieces. I'm going to use box tubing as well for the supports to go back to the original tube. Hopefully my idea will work.

MVC-002S_2.JPG

I started by MIG welding the front feet on.

MVC-003S_2.JPG

MIG welded the inside corners as well. This is 1/8" tubing.

MVC-004S_2.JPG

All welded up and ready to try out

MVC-005S_2.JPG

To attach it, I'm using 3/16" 1 1/2" strap. Plan is to bolt through the original box beam and the downward force will bind it on the lower part of the beam. Basically trapping it in place. I drilled holes in the strap to tap size for the taper headed machine screws.

MVC-006S_2.JPG

I want everything to slide easy so I filled in the lows with more strap. I then ground the welds smooth to. Here is a before and after.

MVC-007S_2.JPG

With those in place I clamped it to the jack. I now use the drill press drilled hoes as a guide. Keeps the drill straight, vertically and placement is right so things will line up.

MVC-008S_1.JPG

Once they were drilled. I redrilled to size and chamfered the hole. Screw will be basically flush this way.

MVC-009S_1.JPG

Added more pieces to the back as well so riding surface will be the same. Clamped and welded those in too. These will just lay there so the whole assembly will require just 2 screws to be taken off to remove it.

MVC-010S.JPG

Everything is looking good so far.

MVC-011S.JPG

For the caster mounts I'm just putting them in the inside corners at the front of the jack. Got a piece of 3/8" plate and cut it diagonally on the surface grinder. Makes super clean cuts.

MVC-012S.JPG

Mounting spot is a angled so I'll address that know with another cut.

MVC-013S.JPG

Trusty piece of cardboard works fine. A bevel T square is just as good.

MVC-014S.JPG

Marked the line and ready to cut.

MVC-015S.JPG

Cut them on the surface grinder as well and then drilled a hole for the caster. Trial fit and welded them home.

MVC-001S_3.JPG

Trial run and it picked a round up fine.

MVC-002S_3.JPG

For some odd reason, I don't think it's going to fit! If it'll move this around, the normal stuff will be no problem. This one is 26" x 30" Beech

MVC-003S_3.JPG

I put my jack stand back with it's mate.

MVC-004S_3.JPG

This is the normal size. Some of you probably think it is a waste of time but trying to wrestle this one armed would be a chore. Most wood burners and an independent type and I am one of those. Some times you gotta do what you gotta do.

This year I'm going to have shoulder surgery and be one armed through most of the heating season so I needed to come up with something before then.
Good luck with the surgery. I had my rotator cuff repaired Sept of 2015. went back to work in 2 months, but had 5weeks of vacation to take before the end of the year so only worked 11days. By the time I went back to work full time in Jan,, I could do about anything I wanted. Been a little over a year now and I dont even think about my shoulder anymore. Been out with a total knee replacement since June, got to go back to work Jan 2nd. Not sure I will be ready for it.

Good luck with the surgery. I had my rotator cuff repaired Sept of 2015. went back to work in 2 months, but had 5weeks of vacation to take before the end of the year so only worked 11days. By the time I went back to work full time in Jan,, I could do about anything I wanted. Been a little over a year now and I dont even think about my shoulder anymore. Been out with a total knee replacement since June, got to go back to work Jan 2nd. Not sure I will be ready for it.

My tendons have been popping for a few years and got to the point where it was causing discomfort. I fractured 5 vertabrae earlier this so while I was down I had them look at the shoulder. They ordered another MRI and it showed calcium buildups, bunch of fluid build up but one tendon is split. That is what is causing all the fluid buildup and discomfort. Never heard of a splitting tendon and didn't ask the cause but I'm assuming a bone spur/build up is forcing it apart. He wanted ne to do it right then and warned me not to lift much as it could cause a complete tear. Mine , hopefully, is not as major as what you had as they will just scope the buildup. Other shoulder is the same less the pain so I'm optimistic that it will be just a scope. I'll have that done when this one heals. Getting old(er) sucks! I'm glad to hear you are fine as I need that. I'm not used to being down and it drives me crazy not being able to do the projects I want to. First time I've used sick days in 22 years. Heck, I broke 5 vertabrae and went into work. Got to the point where I couldn't hold my arms up after 2 hours and then found out why in the ER. Nothing holding my muscles to my back.

They had to put meat hooks in my shoulder bone to hang the tendons on. Just made a few little slits that You cant even see now. Two weeks after the surgery, I was helping tear down a storm damaged house and fell thru the floor. Except for a pretty good gash near my elbow, I didnt hurt my shoulder. Got a ear full from the doctor tho. He didnt want me doing anything with that arm. Same doc replaced my knee and he has been chomping at the bit trying to send me back to work ever since. I cant figure him out, bandade cut to my shoulder and I cant use it, cut my leg off and sew it back on and I should have been back to work 3 months ago. thinking about getting second opinion and not even going back to work.

Back