Had to take the Huskee 22 ton splitter back the same day i purchased it!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go with the new one too. Goes to show the difference in TSC stores mostly I think. But company policy seems to be stand by the product. My 22 ton was already assembled and has been a pretty good worker.

One thing to look at is the hydraulic return line attachment at the tank. Poor design. The hose always wants to kink due to the sag at the attachment point. When the fluid heats up the hose softens and eventually it ruptures. Doesn't really take long. I've replaced hoses a couple of times and still have not gotten around to making a permanent fix. Not a big deal but annoying.

just got back from TSC without the splitter. I got there and the manager said it was good to go. They had there tech come in last night to look at it and everything was good. They immediately took it to my truck and hooked it up. i said i wanted to run it before i left. Good thing i did. The pump seized on the first stroke of the ram. :dizzy::dizzy: :angry2: .

I told them i wanted a new one and would drive to there other stores if they had one in stock. So i am now off to pick one up at another store an hour away.

In the end i will end up with a new splitter 15% off, free 5 gallons of hydro fluid and a new filter. Kinda a pain but it should all work out.

I would let them keep the mistake their employee made. 15% ain,t a big deal for what you went through. Get your money back and go to Lowes and by a Troy 27 ton for the same money. At least Lowes hires a small engine mech. to assemble theirs. :greenchainsaw:
From an owner of a TroyBilt,I would consider that bad advise on many different fronts.
First,if you have a warranty issue later down the road, speeco stands behind their products,this site has many owners attesting to that.TroyBilt on the other hand does not.Three months into using mine, the wear shoes fell out of the wedge.I stopped by the local repair joint and discussed the issue with the owner,figuring that he could just hand me a new set without having to drag the thing in for him to inspect.He knows me well.
He said not a problem with any other manufacturer,but he told me that TroyBilt is going to want a picture of the problem,and in most cases will turn down the warranty claim based on the fact that it has been used "commercially" if I managed to wear the shoes out that fast.
Long story short,that is exactly what Troybilt said,not covered.Said the same thing when there was an issue with the bolt connecting the ram with the wedge breaking.My serial number was already flagged in their system from the wear shoes as being used commercial,not covered for anything basically.
Except for these two issues and the flimsy log craddle,it has performed well but certainly not up to what I would expect from a better brand like speeco.

And as far as Lowes having a small engine mechanic assemble stuff,that is only the hat that they stick on the guy for the day.Our local store has a small engine mechanic,he also works in plumbing!Guy even admitted that he had no education in the field,and came across as being slightly smarter than a box of hair.

just got back from TSC without the splitter. I got there and the manager said it was good to go. They had there tech come in last night to look at it and everything was good. They immediately took it to my truck and hooked it up. i said i wanted to run it before i left. Good thing i did. The pump seized on the first stroke of the ram. :dizzy::dizzy: :angry2: .

I told them i wanted a new one and would drive to there other stores if they had one in stock. So i am now off to pick one up at another store an hour away.

In the end i will end up with a new splitter 15% off, free 5 gallons of hydro fluid and a new filter. Kinda a pain but it should all work out.

Excellent! :cheers:

Good to go, huh?

When I bought my Speeco some years back, I asked for an owners manual in the store, and read through it, then asked what fluids they put in so could get some right away for maintenance. Well, they put in the minimum recommended for assembled-sold units, not what the unit should be run at.

Store manager was none to happy with my pressing the issue that they sell the assembled unit with all fluids topped off as written in the manual.

It was already a late season sale price, but getting the right amount of gallons of hydraulic fluid seemed worth the extra effort.

Two hours later I was on my way home with a great machine. It's better to test/check everything while at the store if possible, leave the egg on their face.

Good to go, huh?

When I bought my Speeco some years back, I asked for an owners manual in the store, and read through it, then asked what fluids they put in so could get some right away for maintenance. Well, they put in the minimum recommended for assembled-sold units, not what the unit should be run at.

Store manager was none to happy with my pressing the issue that they sell the assembled unit with all fluids topped off as written in the manual.

It was already a late season sale price, but getting the right amount of gallons of hydraulic fluid seemed worth the extra effort.

Two hours later I was on my way home with a great machine. It's better to test/check everything while at the store if possible, leave the egg on their face.

I made sure I check everything before i left this time. The hydro fluid and engine oil were both low and i had them top them off. At least this one had the wheels installed the correct way. :dizzy:.

The hose clamps? And any other fastener on the machine? How about the valve block, it needs a hex key set to test those fasteners.

I'm not responding to bust yer chops, but to spark the newbies reading this thread for the internets eternity.

The hose clamps? And any other fastener on the machine? How about the valve block, it needs a hex key set to test those fasteners.

I'm not responding to bust yer chops, but to spark the newbies reading this thread for the internets eternity.

yep, yep and yep. I had the manual sitting next to me and tighten/check every bolt on the thing.

Wow the 22t huskee has been taking some heat in the last year or so, here and elsewhere. Mine is four plus years old still not a complaint about it. Man that sucks to go that bad, but better on the first day than six months down the line. Mine is the older style with the filter on the pump side of the tank instead of the return side on the newer models. Watch the indent valve on the auto-return I've read numerous complaints about them kicking out before the cylinder returns, but speeco has been johnny on the spot to get those fixed.
Now TSC is another story I've spent my share of money at TSC on compact tractor implements, mowers, fencing, a splitter and such and you all ways need to double , triple check everything. They seem to have a lot of "Pet Supplies R Us" types working there now.
On another note a friend of mines dad (retired from FOMOCO about 18 months ago) recently got a job at Lowe's as an contract assembler. They appear to have a fixed rate to assemble each BBQ grills, push mower, riding mowers, patio furniture, chippers, whatever. It is good fun money for him.
I know him reasonably well and he knows his tools and can assemble well and quickly, but a small engine tech he ain't.

Good luck with your new splitter round #2, get your extra hydraulic oil they will give it to you. You need 4.25 gallons to be at run level. TSC puts 2.5 gallons in because that's the size container they sell it in and don't want to open a second , but they do say all fluids included.
I still believe it is a good splitter for the money, you just got to get past the distributor.

Im not so sure how it could all be TSC's fault, sure they should have checked some more things... but... most all components are installed and ready to go, they just have to uncrate them and pop a few pins in....

There is another thread about the 35 ton Huskee splitters. I had a problem with one of the hoses right away. The problem was the routing of the hose being too close to the I Beam and the vibration wore through the rubber but not into the metal reinforcement. Speeco immediately sent a replacement.

Other people on this site have had the hoses with hose clamps blow off the fittings. I doubled up on these clamps as did some other people.

I think the hoses and fluids are assembled on the splitter after arriving at the TSC stores. I checked my fluids and the hydraulic fluid was not entirely full. I went back to the store and was given a 2-1/2 gallon can at no charge.

I haven't split a lot of wood with it but it has no trouble with the Elm and Sweet Gum I have put through the splitter.

Im not so sure how it could all be TSC's fault, sure they should have checked some more things... but... most all components are installed and ready to go, they just have to uncrate them and pop a few pins in....
There is a reason why it is called it is called a huskee instead of a Speeco and it definitely has to do with contract stipulations. TSC wants a component
splitter to be assembled on site. My advice is beat the sheeeet out of TSC, as they will cave, then go to speeco as they are will do you right.
Again this is only what I have have read about Speeco.
but I've kicked azzz at Tractor Supply Company many a times. and they appeared to be just overwhelmed.
Again good luck with splitter round #2

Wait and get the new one. I know that TSC has had some issues with their Huskees, but I'll say one thing; they WILL take 'em back. The tongue was warped on my original 35 tonner, but the local TSC store replaced it no problem.

There is a reason why it is called it is called a huskee instead of a Speeco and it definitely has to do with contract stipulations. TSC wants a component
splitter to be assembled on site. My advice is beat the sheeeet out of TSC, as they will cave, then go to speeco as they are will do you right.
Again this is only what I have have read about Speeco.
but I've kicked azzz at Tractor Supply Company many a times. and they appeared to be just overwhelmed.
Again good luck with splitter round #2

Not so sure about the Huskee and contract stipulations. You would think Speeco would want their name on the splitters sold at the retailer who sells more Speeco-built splitters than anyone else. My money is on TSC wanting their private label on it.

As for the line issues, etc. I think Speeco is redesigning their units with hard lines, and improvements on the tongues as well.

I know last time I was in TSC they had new versions of the 22T unit with the rounded beam. Did the one the original poster get have the rounded edge beam or a square beam?

LLL

A couple of weeks ago, blew the little Honda GC on the Troy-Bilt. It has split over 400 cords in about 13/14 months. Finally got around to calling up lowes, the gave me an 800 number called them and explained the situation and they said ok, gave me the local repair shops number, called them and told them exactly what happened, catastrophic valve train failure, because of the timing belt. He says no sweat, had several of those GC 160's fail, same issue.
Get you a new one on the way. Going to pick it up Tuesday. I'm going to take it off as soon as I get home and put a real motor on it.
No problems with the warranty at all. I guess it was a lucky day.

From an owner of a TroyBilt,I would consider that bad advise on many different fronts.
First,if you have a warranty issue later down the road, speeco stands behind their products,this site has many owners attesting to that.TroyBilt on the other hand does not.Three months into using mine, the wear shoes fell out of the wedge.I stopped by the local repair joint and discussed the issue with the owner,figuring that he could just hand me a new set without having to drag the thing in for him to inspect.He knows me well.
He said not a problem with any other manufacturer,but he told me that TroyBilt is going to want a picture of the problem,and in most cases will turn down the warranty claim based on the fact that it has been used "commercially" if I managed to wear the shoes out that fast.
Long story short,that is exactly what Troybilt said,not covered.Said the same thing when there was an issue with the bolt connecting the ram with the wedge breaking.My serial number was already flagged in their system from the wear shoes as being used commercial,not covered for anything basically.
Except for these two issues and the flimsy log craddle,it has performed well but certainly not up to what I would expect from a better brand like speeco.

And as far as Lowes having a small engine mechanic assemble stuff,that is only the hat that they stick on the guy for the day.Our local store has a small engine mechanic,he also works in plumbing!Guy even admitted that he had no education in the field,and came across as being slightly smarter than a box of hair.

A Better Brand Like Speeco? What are you smoking today? Do a search on speeco problems before you praise them.

How is it that every thread about a Speeco turns like this?

A Better Brand Like Speeco? What are you smoking today? Do a search on speeco problems before you praise them.

Yeah. Do a search and see how Speeco went over the top to make things right.

Maybe there are way more speeco/huskee splitters out there, there will be more problems. Besides homemade splitters, around here huskee splitters are 10x more plentiful than any others. Just the rule of large numbers, more out in the marketplace, the more problems there will be. Sounds like speeco/tsc takes care of these problems pretty well

Speeco and TSC

Speeco took care of my hose problem quickly. TSC took care of a discount coupon which came late. I bought the splitter $1,699.00 plus tax and then got a coupon in the mail for 10% the next day. I expected to get a run-around but they gave me a cash refund of just a little over $185.00.

I've never had any problems with the folks at TSC.

Nosmo

Back