Hand filing sucks!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redoakranch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I started sharpening my chains with a 12 volt granburg several years ago. Tried to get into hand filing after hearing from many experts on this site. I quickly decided it sucked! The wood I cut is too dirty, I go through a chain every 20-60min without touching the ground. I finally bought a 511ax, and its the best thing I have ever purchased. My first slab cuts with the 660 were as flat as glass, how could I have cut wood for so long without one?

Flat as glass and then dull again in 20-60 min?

I have not run it yet but, one (possible) option would be chain sold by Bailey’s that they call ‘sprayed on carbide’. Files normal when it does dull, I would assume grinds too. Just a thought.

Grinders certainly come in handy but if you were getting crooked cuts after filing then you must have been getting something wrong.
20-60 minutes life out of a chain under the conditions I cut in is excellent! In clean softwoods it probably isn't.
The key to being a good filer is practice, practice, and more practice. However you need to ensure you are filing correctly to start with otherwise you'll simply practice your mistakes :cheers:

Ditto, 20 minutes cut time and I'm over the moon and I only hand file.

To the op try keeping your angle around the 28* mark when hand filing it'll cut a little slower but usually will stay sharp a little better in dirty stuff

Kids today....... :laugh:
Ditto, 20 minutes cut time and I'm over the moon and I only hand file.

Kids today....... :laugh:

Hell yeah 20-30 minutes in dirty wood is great. Usually take a smoke/ touch up break when I refuel. Grinders have their place but I practiced way too much to put my files away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really knocking the cut time but I am praising the 511ax. It sharpens everytooth the same without having to measure or count strokes. Id much rather cut wood in the field and sharpen chains at home in the shop after dark. Even with setup time the 511ax is at least twice as fast as hand filing. I know Troll and others will still hand file but for me and my cutting the 511ax is a gift from above.

I'll just stick with hand filing myself.

I can file one on the saw quicker than I can set it up in a grinder and it will cut better. :msp_smile:

I'm sure the grinder is a fine machine and has its place. Hand filing between fill-ups takes 3-5 mins. and gives me a chance to take a breather and think about what I'm doing. If I don't need a breather, then I'm not working hard enough.

What percentage of saw shops hand file chains that are brought in? I will agree that a good hand file is best but I like to run saws and I only get a small amount of time so I want to make sure all my time is the field is with a running saw. Then after work I set up the 511ax and smile.

Just picked up a FG4 on the cheap to see what it'll do. Something good for a quickie touch up hopefully.

To each his own,

I remember when a out of the box chain was so great. After learning to file it seems the "new" chains leave something to be desired.

Never counted strokes, just go until you can feel a smooth glass like stroke, and hit the rakers a bit. Files are consumables and cheap, don't try over-using them.

Glad you like your machine, but a good file and vice is pretty quick.

I started cutting when I was 10. Have hand filed all of my 52 years.

I put the blade in a vise and take down the rakers if needed, then do the cutters, wear gloves they can save a knuckle. You have to watch for too much down pressure to avoid hook. This is free hand filing and my saws cut great. Right now I use stihl rmc or rsc chains. If I am in the woods I make a vertical cut in a stump and that serves as the bar holder. Good files are needed and keep them clean. Two or three strokes on each cutter is not much more time than changing out a chain.

For my mill I do use a pferd holder to keep the rakers more even and use PMX chain.

Hand filing round chain is the way to go.

upy6apug.jpg

The title of this thread might rub a few people wrong,

but I don't know. I like to hand file... :msp_mellow:

My title is less than PC I'll admit. For my work in steep hills, with little time and dirty wood the grinder is awesome. I could have titled this "511ax is great" but it's nice to get some feedback from the true hand filing pros, even if they want to fight me now! I have the highest regard for all the hand filers out there.

For my dirty hardwood that chain would be like taking a Ferrari to the Rubicon. Every once in a while I get to cut clean, green wood and it makes me question why I enjoy cutting dirty hardwoods on steep slopes.

Are you running a semi chisel chain? Have you tried any 404? Both seem to make for longer cutting times in piles to dozed up wood.

Back