Hand Saws,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeJunkie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been thinking of buying the silky Ibuki,,,,I think it might eliminate the amount i'll need to have a saw sent up for that one cut that's just a little bigger than what i want to deal w/. Iv'e been using 13" fanno, as this is what the boss supplies, i'd like to get the zubat here but he's not gonna pay for zubat replacement blades for every climber in the co. anyhow any suggestions about the ibuki and has anyone tried climbing w/ 2 handsaws, i have mine currently on a leg scabbard and i love this as i was used to just having it on the hip. Now i have room on the saddle for another, thought it might be nice...

I would love to have a zubat but I don't feel like puting out the money for one and my boss feels the same way about putting out money for everyone to have one. One guy I work has one and I see by new blades but I wonder how many the boss actually buys for him. I like a good sharp hand saw and mine takes a beating. I usually lose a few teeth before replacing the blade.

I'm on my 4th Zubat blade. I've never broken a tooth!

Ask anyone that works with me...I overuse my handsaws. I do everything in my power to not carry around the chainsaw unless I have to.

love
nick

The surface of a Silky cut is superior to anything else I've seen. It's good enough for finnish carpentry.

The blades last far longer then a fanno, though you cannot sharpen them. In fact I usually bend them before they go dull.

One thing I don't like about the Ibuki is that the arc of the blade is too agressinve for the cutting power of the tooth. At least for the way I cut. It allso feels like too much saw for regular climbing.

I would get a silky and just use it. I use an a zubat, and I love it. Like JPS said, the silky cuts very well and stays sharp. If the zubat cant cut it, then the chainsaw is needed. The ibuku is huge, and I have heard complaints like JPS's about it being very aggressive, and too large for regular climbing.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
If you cannot afford a Zubat, it is most likely because you do not believe you are worth good equipment. You just might be right.

Still the smooth talker, eh? :rolleyes:

treejunkie,

have you tried (or seen) the K-1500 blade by Fanno? it is a little longer and has a raker tooth in it. it will fit the same handle of the 1311 or you can get an enclosed handle that it comes standard with. It will cut larger wood because of the raker tooth's ability to pull out sawdust. As for price, sure its a little higher at $19 (blade only), but its a lot lower than the $3?, and the boss might spring for one for trial purposes.

There's also a 17" blade w/ an enclosed handle. Still a little bigger yet.

As for breaking teeth, ive used 1311's for 9+ yrs and have not broken teeth in 9 yrs. The ones I did break were when using it as a hatchet and not a saw. Ive broken more blades through bending or pinching in a polesaw head.

IMO, an expensive handsaw is not a sign of a good arborist.

The zubat rocks. I'm going to order an Ibuki one of these days. And look for a skinny bladed silky for tight spots like apple suckers. And maybe look for one with a flat blade for cutting girdling roots. Oh, and a second zubat to hang on the chipper for the labor ready guys. Where the heck is that new Sherril catalog that's supposed to be out mid March?

Originally posted by ORclimber
Oh, and a second zubat to hang on the chipper for the labor ready guys.

Don't waste money on a zubat for that. Hang a Cold Steel two hand machete for them to chop up branches. It only costs about $10 and will whack through 2-3 inch branches in one swing.

For me, I carry the Zubat for pruning, and the Ibuki on takedowns. I don't takedown the tree with the Ibuki, but use
it instead of the chainsaw if I have to make a cut near my rope.

Originally posted by Koa Man
Don't waste money on a zubat for that. Hang a Cold Steel two hand machete for them to chop up branches.
There's a scary image--daylaborer ground guys swinging a machete. There'd be blood flying, I guarantee.:eek:

I favor a ratchet lopper from Florian--cuts 4" stuff and is safe and efficient enough for a 12-year old to use.

re handsaws, Iused a Silky a few times; love the power but not enough finesse. I'll stay with the Corona until a more powerful blade comes along with good touch. If it doesn't, maybe a Silky to use on trees where power is needed more than touch. Big hassle having 2 and swapping tho.:(

If I keep using a Corona I guess I'll have to endure being called unworthy...water off a duck's back, quack quack.:cool:

Guy,
Unless Florian came out with a new model, their lopper only cuts 2 inch max. and is awfully slow to use. I gave up using the Florian stuff because it was just too slow to use. Corona does make a big lopper that will cut 3 inch branches. I have always used machetes to cut up branches on the the ground and no one has been cut yet doing it in 20 years. You do need to screen the hired help. Two digit IQs drag brush only.

Hey there Rocky,,,might wanna watch your arrogant tone there buddy....I sure hope you weren't directing that misplaced comment towards myself...OkieTree was about right an expensive handsaw doesn't mean jack as to how qualified of a climber/arborist anyone is..Thing is i pay for all of my own equipment for the most part, boss will pitch for the cheaper handsaws, and i'm not real sure if i'm willing to wear out a $40 blade every 6mo-1yr and not be reembursed for it...

Originally posted by BigJohn
I would love to have a zubat but I don't feel like puting out the money for one and my boss feels the same way about putting out money for everyone to have one. One guy I work has one and I see by new blades but I wonder how many the boss actually buys for him. I like a good sharp hand saw and mine takes a beating. I usually lose a few teeth before replacing the blade.

i dont know how your boss cannot not afford to use silky saws..cheaper saws are false economy so i have found

Koa Man, my Florian loppers handle 4" with ease. And I can't delegate one task to 2-digit IQ types or they'd have to sit down when they're done.

RJS Your opinion on your zubat is duly appreciated, but that doesn't mean that your experience applies to everyone. Handsaws are used by arm muscles and everyone's are different so their saw preferences are too.

"you do not believe you are worth good equipment. You just might be right."

What's "good" for you is not good for all. That 2 week vacation from these insulting putdowns was just way too short...Isn't there something in the AS posting guidelines about personal attacks?

Latest posts

Back