Hand Saws,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a popular bumper snicker a few years ago that read:

Killing to stop war is like making love to stop sex.

Last edited:
Pascifism works if the oponent has at least a shred of desency.

Ghandi was able to tip th scales with the brit's for this reason.

If Hitler or Musilini had been in charge he would have lined them up and then burried them.

We gave the Afgan people the short end of the stick for years (IMO we still are) To not have done what we did would have been a crime. As I beleive the way we treated them after the end of the cold war was.

Sometimes killing a killer is the only solution.

But that's another subject for another place.

Sanborn, John P.
USMC 8.5 years

I really like my silky for its quick, easy cuts, but so far, I'm up to three stitches and 1/2 a pint of blood. Gotta be careful!

From what I have been reading here, those silky saws are more expensive in more ways than one! Lost blood, stitches, etc.? No thanks. No wonder our workers comp rates have skyrocketed! sounds like a time to sue!

If someone can sue remington for their handgun killing someone, sounds like silky can be sued for their saw cutting someone.:D

I still vote for less expensive.

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
A Silky costs more.

A Silky cuts better... trees, or flesh.

Be careful with your NEW SILKY.

:cool:

I dont mind drippin a little red stuff on my lines every once in a while. Its gonna happen. I would rather have a few little cuts and scratches than be floundering around in a tree trying to cut with "El Cheapo"

Oh yeah and I forgot to say, Go get em Rocky, its good to have ya back.

:blob2:
Kenn

rocky,

believe it or not, I actually do have a silky saw. its a folding saw (not sure the model) that i won at the MW ISA TCC in Neb a couple of yrs ago. I have used it but i carry it in my truck for use on estimate runs or when im at my hunting lease. it is a good saw. no doubt about it.

However, I, like tree junkie, buy my own gear and have for some time. I work full time as a hrly wage guy w/ a wife,kids, mortgage, etc. so I dont have all this xtra cash floating around, so $60 saws were never in my budget. when the boss gives you a fanno for free, you dont complain.

I have taken note though as an equipment supplier that the rage in this site seems silkys rule and Im not opposed to getting some in to try out. Actually thinking of doing just that b4 you brought it up.

Originally posted by TreeCo
I suggest not holding your breath waiting for a Zubat user to step up and say they are going back to a cheaper handsaw.

Dan

I did. The last time this thread was around I made the comment that the Zubat was with out a doubt an excellent saw. That handle on the Zubat is uncomfortable for me. I prefer the Corona handle over the Zubat. So I'm back to a Corona.

I did finally get the Ibuki I ordered three wks. ago. Now that is a hand saw, it fits my hand perfect. Haven't used it in a tree yet, I can see where it can be an over kill for pruning small limbs and branches. But now I have a choice of saws, one for big coarse stuff and one for finer pruning.

I'm still not fond of those plastic scabbards.

Larry

Originally posted by Ax-man

I couldn't agree more. Silky scabbards suck big time. I use the standard handsaw scabbard for the Zubat and tossed the Silky one. I would like to find a leather or belted scabbard for the Ibuki.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
you and the old hippie from NC are the only two here recommending against the Silky, and Guy is at least willing to try one.
Gosh skwerl, it feels good to be referred to so fondly.:)
I stopped in at the local vermeer store yesterday to get a zubat but the 2 silkys they had in stock were straight-bladed. They didn't look like precision instruments. I'd definitely recommend against those to myself, but like axman pointed out all hands are different so one model is not perfect for everyone. those straight-bladers may work well for removals.

So I'll order the zubat and hope it lives up to its rep. My shoulders are sore; I need to get more cut out of the tool and less out out of my arms.
On the offtopic tangent into mb's sig, wars in Sudan did not stop slavery; they started it, and our past mistreatment of Afghans and Iragis would have been better rectified by means other than invasion. But that's just an old hippie's point of view.:rolleyes:

8.5 months Students for a Democratic Society, 1967-8
0 w/ Weathermen--violence sucks

Originally posted by Ax-man
[B That handle on the Zubat is uncomfortable for me. I prefer the Corona handle over the Zubat. So I'm back to a Corona.

Larry [/B]

Silky scabbards are not so great. The one for my Ibuki broke immediately. The Zubat scabbard would need to be modified to use.

The handle on the zubat is awesome, I can't believe you don't like it.
Corona has the handle similar to the Zubat only it has a hook on the end that catches on your rope all day that constantly pulls the saw out of the scabbard?

I joined the Silky Cult several years ago. I've got the same scabbard that has had at least three blade changes and it still is in good shape.

So far, knock on wood [the piece between my ears] I've never had a Silky draw more than a scratch of blood. I treat the saw like a muscle powered chainsaw. If I'm cutting close to my rope I lanyard in too. Just in case.

The Silky only costs a few dollars really. If another saw and scabbard are bought, the package costs, say, forty bucks or so. The Silky then only really costs twenty. Would you go back to using a misery whip to fell the tree or grab the 3120 to make logs?

Tom

Im another silky fan, I climb for a couple companies, some are really tight wads, but silkys are everywhere (my 300mm is about 80$). Out of the 40 climbers I have worked with only one uses something other than a silky.

Its seems whenever I get a new blade the little sucker gets a taste of me before learning whose boss.

But different people like different things, heck tell a chev owner how great a ford is or vice versa.

I hated shelling out the bucks, after so many years of using $20 handsaws... but it was most definitely worth it. They DO stay sharp longer. But the scabbard does suck, and the handle of my Zubat is too small. I wanna try a Ibuki, but I sure like 7.5 over 6.5. The Ibuki handle looks to be the right size, and the hook isn't so pronounced as to catch on every little thing(like a Corona).

Has anyone tried to put a Zubat blade on an Ibuki handle? Do the holes line up the same?

Latest posts

Back