Hand Saws,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just emailed my saw supplier, new blades for two silkys (both about a year old) and a new polesaw (Nobita 1.8M), hope to see them next early week. For Silkys in Canadian bucks try http://www.bigbeartools.com

Just talked the boss into ordering me the zubat 2 days ago, as a present for the last big take down...I hope its everything everyone says it is....The boss man has both a silky and a fanno, the only difference he sees is the handles and that the silky will stay sharp a little longer....Well the first of the week we;ll put it to the test...

Gomboy, Pocketboy and now Nobita (pole saw) with Gomtaro blade... and a couple blades for each saw , spent about $300 bucks and I couldnt be happier about it. I definately think Silky is a good investment, good tools in learned hands are effective tools. I have my pocketboy, my Felco 6, a X20/X15 hand lens and a pocketknife on my belt when I am working, most of what I need at my fingertips, the rest as far away as my truck.

Originally posted by TreeJunkie
The boss man has both a silky and a fanno, the only difference he sees is the handles and that the silky will stay sharp a little longer.

If that's what he thinks, he's not too attentive.
The Zubat cuts a thinner kerf, and it can because the blade is thinner. This means it removes less wood on each cut.
It makes a smoother cut, for a better finished product.
It takes fewer strokes to cut the same branch, and those strokes take less effort.
The saw is lighter, therefore you can move it around easier, and faster with less effort. Let's face it, who wants to carry around more weight?
As he already noticed, it stays sharp longer.

Originally posted by TreeJunkie
.I hope its everything everyone says it is....The boss man has both a silky and a fanno, the only difference he sees is the handles and that the silky will stay sharp a little longer...

But then how often does Joe spend all day in a tree these days?

I assure you, the first cut you make will prove it, and 2 weeks into it when it's still rocking you should go back to the Fanno you were using.

I used to file my fanno's every two weeks... throw it out after one or two sharpenings. Silky last way too long, and I bend them before the get dull.

The only thing that gets me PO'd is the crappy scabbard. I've almost quit using them since they want $20 for the replacement:angry: I broke the retainer tab of another one last week.

I guess my scabbard is diff or something.

I have been using mine for however long, and the scabord is still working great. Granted I dont use it is much as yall, but my what gives?

I used my new zubat today, pruned out a med. size pin oak. It was great, that sucker was sharp,,I loved it saved alot of energy. Best thing was i never needed my chainsaw...It nice not having to lug the 200t around all the time...I sure hope this saw stays this sharp..Now about the scabbard, well it seems alright for now i guess till it breaks,,but i think i like my buckingham leg scabbard a little better though,,,I give it a shot though...Thanks for all the input on the saw guys,,,Seems like this little saw might actually live up to all the hipe..

I don't have a zubat yet, but did get a silky gomataro. It's the model a size smaller. I now wish I'd sprung the extra for the zubat.

Rocky J is right about the tools you chose to use are a direct reflection about what you think of yourself.

Pro mechanics invest $15k+ on snap-on hand tools, when craftsman tools will work just fine.

When my life is on the line. I cannot afford not to use the best tools available.

With the silky, I only haul up my 335 for the larger cuts. Instead of hauling it all over. If you want to justify the cost of a silky, that would be it.

I perfer Craftsman over Snap On. Snap on dealers are hard to find if it breaks. With craftsman you just run over to sears and get a replacement.

Buying a product of equal quality, but paying 2x's as much for it to say Snap On is just foolish to me. For collectors maybe, but not for the average grease monkey/shop mechanic.

Sorry about going off topic:

I agree that it is easier to get tools warrantied at Sears and in no way are putting down Sears tools. But there is no way that Sears tools are equal in quality to Snap-on tools. And yes they do cost 5X more than Sears tools.

Ask the pro mechanic which tools they prefer to use? It'll be snap-on or Mac.

Ask the pro's here what chainsaws they use?

Originally posted by 046
But there is no way that Sears tools are equal in quality to Snap-on tools. And yes they do cost 5X more than Sears tools.

Sears or Craftsman? There is a diff (sears brand aint covered).

I have never had a problem with most craftsman tools, and we are very hard on them, I have twisted (but not boke) 1/2" drive extensions by hand (without a cheater bar) , the ends are now about 25-30 degrees outa clock, and the chrome come off as it doesnt readily bend with the base metal.

I have yet to bust the 3/4" set, but that is a really big socket set.

Oh, and I use a silky of course.

Craftsman tools are what I started on and I think the world of craftsman tools.

Snap-on, Mac tools are superior to craftman and the prices reflect it!

In the same way MS200T and 335XPT are more expensive (some say better) than a CS3400. but some pro's just prefer the 3400.

To get back on topic, silky saws are the best and has changed my methods. Everytime I use a silky, instead of firing upthe 335. That's one less risk.

... trendy

I do want a Zubat, ya, and I've been using a blade from Korona. Da, it has lasted a whole season and is still cutting quick. Yet not as quick as before. Time to get another blade. I had to re-tool the handle connection which is an easy thing for me.

Look it is all in the tool steel in the blade. And the Japanese don't know anything about quality steel for tool making. When they do come to market with a winner it was American tech that did the metalurgy. Don't give them so much patronage, from what I'm hearing here the blade is not staying shart as long as it should!

Jack

so is Silky bringing their steel in from the US of A? I think the general consensus is that they are the best saws for holding an edge and cutting fast and clean, try one and you will probably put your Corona in the same place I put mine, the bottom of the tool kit. I have semi retired a pocketboy saw to the root cutting jobs and after numerous roots and lots of grit and gravel it is still a clean, fast cutter for use on branches when I don't have my new Gomboy on my belt.

Originally posted by jimmyq
so is Silky bringing their steel in from the US of A? I think the general consensus is that they are the best saws for holding an edge and cutting fast and clean, try one and you will probably put your Corona in the same place I put mine, the bottom of the tool kit. I have semi retired a pocketboy saw to the root cutting jobs and after numerous roots and lots of grit and gravel it is still a clean, fast cutter for use on branches when I don't have my new Gomboy on my belt.

As I said I want the Silky, and .... OK, I'll take a scientific look, comparison of, the steel in the Silky. You might be absolutly correct.

Jack

My Silky Zubat takes some pretty big bites when it's cutting and is extremely difficult to make a clean with it on small branches, but it works great on big pieces. What kind of options are there for finer-toothed Silkies?

My Silky Zubat takes some pretty big bites when it's cutting and is extremely difficult to make a clean with it on small branches, but it works great on big pieces. What kind of options are there for finer-toothed Silkies?
I love the Ginga with 18 teeth/30mm.
Get one (or two).

Latest posts

Back