Hand Saws,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:blob2:

attachment.php

FYI the Corona blades were manufactured in Japan until lastyear, now they are made in Korea, Japan has produced superior cutting instruments for a long, long time. To state that they produce poor products is quite ignorant of the facts.

I use the pocketboy 130mm large teeth and gomboy 240mm large teeth, they are both foldering saws and make real short work of anything under about 2 1/2 inch diameter. for the bigger branches than 2 1/2 inches I use my gomtaro 270mm large teeth, I also have a gomtaro 270mm large teeth on the nobita 6 foot pole, works like a charm I can get branches about 18-20 feet up with my 8 foot orchard/pruning ladder.

Gee, I'm talking about tool stell not international challenges. If that is what it sounded like I appologize. I some time type out bits of what I'm thinking.

Later,
Jack

Japan sword makers have produced quality blade steel for hundreds of years. Have you ever seen a genuine Samurai sword? The blades are laminated and extremely sharp.

I don't know where Felco or Bahco (previously Sandvik) are made, but my Japanese Okatsune hand pruners have a Rockwell hardness of 70, noticably superior to all others I've used.

With Japanese handsaw blades, the Silky tool steel is certainly better than Corona, as well, the machining process is likely better. Corona blades often seem a bit rough. But then there is the impusle hardening procedure to consider.

Ok i've read a whole lot about the handsaws and which is better so I'll take ya word for it and i'll buy a Zubat But please tell me why you all use the curved blade in preferance to straight as im a trainee climber and all the climbers over here i've seen use the Gomtaro? I'm no pro so i hope i don't offend anyone posting in here:blob2:

The curved blades have more cutting "power", but there are times when it will cut something you don't want to cut in a tight situation. The straight blade is better in tight spots, but overall, I feel the curved blade is slightly better. I have had extensive experience in the use of both.

Just to add my 2p..

My first Silky was a Nakanoto, with a straight blade, but I bought a Zubat after reading about it on this site. It's personal preference, but I prefer the straight blade. I sometimes would need to cut a sink, and you can't really do that properly with a curved blade. Also, I think a curved blade would probably give you the edge when the blade is less sharp than a silky. These saws seem to feed themselves into the cut providing you simply pull and don't force it. What I also like about the nakanoto was the rubber bit that held it into the scabbard. It never ever fell out when i was moving around, yet I never had any trouble pulling it out one handed (I'm talking about the saw here btw! :D )

Have you seen their range? It's quite extensive, although I wonder about their choice of names sometimes..(Bigboy? Skattboy?) Perhaps we ought to have an AS competition to name their next new saw..

Latest posts

Back