Handling the heat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys. How have you been physically holding up with all this heat? I only worked a few days this past week, but each day I worked it was hot. Last Saturday I was up in the tree from about 8:30 - 11:00 and when I got down I couldn't cool off until about 8:00 at night. The rest of the day I felt like I was going to pass out and was pretty much useless on the job. My legs felt like they were going to buckle under me. This is with figuring in that I drank a GOOD gallon of cold fluids during the day. Monday was about the same, only at the end of the day I broke out in poison ivy. Today I tried to help my friend's guys cut grass at one of my places and within 20 minutes I was useless. Any words of advice here?

With Heat indexes like they have been it takes me back to my days at Fort Benning.

Our rule of thumb when working/training in heat like this was a quart of liquid an hour. Make sure you are adding back some electrolytes(gatorade) also and not strictly straight water as you can sweat everything out of your body. You should continue drinking at night as well. Hydrating the night before prepares you for your morning. Getting a heat injury blows big time and will make you more susceptible in the future.

I'll hit the customer's hose every 15-30 minutes when I Am on the ground. Hosing from elbows down and from the shoulders up. Long wet hair or bandana down the back of the neck acts like a radiator and sunscreen. Only problem is it can sour up the hardhats / earmuffs.

I also like to prehydrate... if I'll be aloft for a good while I'll drink as much as I can before leaving... forcing it down. It's rare that I ask for water to be sent up.

Park the trucks in the shade...
And frequent breaks..

God Bless All,
Daniel

Heat

The climber I work with was spent Thursday after two days with the humidex in the mid 100s, so he took the day off. His call-it rained later anyways.

Heat exhaustion and more severely heat stroke are very dangerous situations to find yourself in, especially when working in an environment with the dangers tree workers are routinely exposed to.

I hydrate all night, use a moderate amount of salt to keep my electrolyte levels up and drink cool, not cold water through out the day, sometimes upwards to two gallons (cold water is bad on my stomach) I personally can not stand Gatorade, both in terms of taste and high cost for what is essentially unfizzy soda, watered down and with the addition of some salts. The rate you see you kids guzzling this stuff it is no wonder a lot have weight problems, because it is empty calories. If you need some flavour in your water, try watered down fruit juice with the addition of some salt-grapefruit works great. As much as you like that morning coffee, caffeine, a diuretic, accelerates water loss, as does all the brewskies you indulged in the night before (That is the reason one is so thirsty after drinking more than you should have the night before). It is amazing the number of products that contain caffeine these days, Mountain Dew and a lot of those power drinks are loaded with the stuff. If you are going to indulge in either alcohol or caffeine, hydrate with an equal amount of water prior to lessen the effects of the diuretic. Alcohol is just about the worst thing you can take in conditions of extreme heat (or cold).

They were really big on this problem and its prevention in the Army after an Officer Cadet undergoing a route march in 100F heat died at Farnham, QC in 1998. Kept on going, no doubt in a stupour, motiviated by group dynamics that perceive falling out as a weakness or failing(I can see this happening on a crew of young guys doing removals or other heavy work!), and incompetant and untrained leadership failed to recognize the signs of heat exhaustion and stroke until he dropped. Poor kid died two days later never coming out of a coma with damaged internal organs because his internal pemp was over 107F when they got him to the hospital.

Look up the signs of heat exhaustion on a web site and keep your eyes open for symptoms in yourself and fellow workers.

And yes the poison ivy is bad here right now too.

Hey Jumper,

I can't stand the taste of gatorade or any of those sports drinks so I dillute a quart of it with gallon of water. Makes plain old water a little easier to choke down.

I'm a believer in the sports drinks(Gatorade et.al.) but I usually mix it rather weak since I drink a lot of it on a hot day along with lots of water. Something else you might try is putting a couple of Tablespoons of Apple Cider vinegar in 1/2 gallon of water. Doesn't actually taste great but when you are thirsty it seems to enhance the quenching qualities of the water. (And it is supposed to be good for you). A sqeeze of lemon or lime helps as well.

The electrolitic drinks are good, but too much of them can be as bad as too much water.

Another little known thing, if you notice you are frequently "irregular" after consuming a gallon of it, many people are or can become sensative to fructose. So drinks with high fructose corn suryp can go through some like a "dose of salts". It is more common in older people too.

Lots of water and a little gatoraide.

On the flipside, drinking just water will dilute the balance and make you sick too.

Another substitute is bananas, kiwi fruit and the like.

on the way to any job i always stop @ cumberland farms to pick up a gallon of water, a quart of powerade and a bag of ice. that's usually enough to get me thru my day. i take little 5-10 minute breaks all day long instead of taking one break for an hour or so. it seems to help!!!!! and lay off the booze the night before!!!!!
budroe
p.s. don't worry treeman, it'll be snowing before you know it:D

Originally posted by Newfie
Hey Jumper,

I can't stand the taste of gatorade or any of those sports drinks so I dillute a quart of it with gallon of water. Makes plain old water a little easier to choke down.

Which is why I dilute frozen fruit juice with about three or four times the water called for-I do not need all the fruit sugar contained within, and add a little salt for the electrolytes. I can pick up a can of frozen OJ for $.69 on sale, and it makes 1 1/2 quarts normally, or six quarts watered down, a hell of a lot cheaper than those tinny tasting gatorade clones, which as i said above are LOADED with sugar.

Another suggestion, get a big bottle of TUMS and take a couple each morning, that is CaCl there I believe.

the heat has been kicking butt. last thursday was the first time i ever had to come down from a tree because of the heat. i was starting to get sloppy, so i dropped down to sit on the lower limbs in the shade and drink water. i went back up made a few cuts and had to come down again, the the same thing up for a few and down again. then the other climber i was with offered to finish the tree for me. i think it was the first time some one ever finished a tree for me. i weighed myself before work that day and i was 208 when i got home i was 203. i drank about a gallon and a half of water that day. the good thing is i started this season at about 235 after a lazy winter. with all the heat i can't eat much so it helped get my weight down. if i could get down to 200 and maintain it i'll be a happy camper. i usually 3/4 fill with water 6, 1 quart nalgene water bottles the night before and freeze them. then i top them off in the morning with tang or a sports drink. they stay cold for most of the day. as i drink from them i try to keep refilling them with water. i try and bring stuff from home since i got tired of spending 15-20 dollars a day on drinks.

Originally posted by budroe69moni
hahahahahahaha
budroe:cool:

I always love to see people in the South driving on TV clips on the odd rare occasion it snows or ices heavily.

"I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" is not my favourite song! But to tell you the truth I would rather be out in extreme cold because I can dress for that, whereas with heat there is little you can do except stop or slow down.

bring on the cold

That's what I have always told those southern boys complaining about the cold. You can keep adding layers to stay warm, but in the heat, once you're naked, you're screwed (hopefully :D )

Re: bring on the cold

Originally posted by Newfie
...... but in the heat, once you're naked, you're screwed (hopefully :D )

Yeah, and his name is Mack, he's chewing on a cigar, and has 3 days stubble on his face. :eek: :cry:

Back