Handsaws vs chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wednesday, we crown cleaned and did a thorough limb lightening on a cedar and three doug fir, two of which were 145 feet tall, and right next to the house. While there were a few 2.5-4 inch stubs, we enjoyed the day where all my modded saws stayed on the truck. I often climb with a Silky on each side, Wyatt Earp style...But my Zubat pole saw made 80 % of the cuts, as each branch must be lightened, and out to near the tip. To do such a task without a polesaw would require Olga Korbut gymnastic abilities and weight, of which I only partially qualify, and take forever.

Only problem was the line set took me ages....I stubbornly kept aiming for a small target 85 feet up...after I finally got it set, and Jumared up, I saw why I mostly kept a lanyard on while ascending..the set was very marginal. I had another of those recently...very unnerving to say the least. It is very hard to get a safe line set in conifers, and hard to ascertain from the ground, even with binoculars...Poor crotch selection could end in an obituary....

..I guess Rock Hudson had a similar problem....

MB,

You look like a strong boy, just use the Zubat!!!

Seriously tho, be gentle with it, the blade is slender and a bit delicate. I have broken a couple Natanoko blades, which are beefier, and several Prosenthei's which are way too wimpy, but a great substitute, if your handpruners are mia.

Silky steel is to handsaws as Okatsune is to hand pruners, superior ...and impulse hardened much better and longer lasting than Corona, which are not bad at all for the price. I dont use mine all that much as we do so many removals, so I'd say a blade will easily last 6 months or more, at least twice as long as Corona and 10 times that of Fanno.

Poor crotch selection could end in an obituary....

..I guess Rock Hudson had a similar problem....

rb .........you are classic :D

Originally posted by kf_tree
Poor crotch selection could end in an obituary....

..I guess Rock Hudson had a similar problem.... :D

12.gif

Originally posted by rbtree
MB,

You look like a strong boy, just use the Zubat!!!

Seriously tho, be gentle with it, the blade is slender and a bit delicate.

I can't unnerstan how ya'll think using a handsaw is easier on the body than using a small chainsaw. For me, a handsaw is more wear and tear on me than a chainsaw.
A properly running, SHARP chainsaw. :)

The Zubat blade did seem more delicate than blades I've used before. Thanks for the warning, rb.

So hey rbtree, are you saying Fanno blades suck? I only went over to them because of the hook on the Corona handles. The Fanno handles have a rounded handle, it doesn't get snagged up on crap.

Now that I think about it, the Fanno DOES seem to get duller quicker. I thought it was my imagination. I could always make a Corona blade fit a Fanno handle. ;)

Anyways, my 200 will stay clipped to my saddle! :cool:

I'v been useing a fanno saw with good results but it is starting to get dull, time to replace it. Wundering who makes the best AMERICAN MADE hand saw out there. I cant see the japs makeing a better hand saw than us for long.

:jester:

The Fanno blade is much softer steel, or the same but not impulse hardened, so it doesn't hold an edge worth beans. But it can be resharpened with a feather file, as can the pole saw blades I get from Bishop. But I'm not that good at filing, so just buy new pole saw blades. I had some sharpened once for $5 ea, but they werent very good.

Many of us don't like the Corona handle getting snagged, but that hook sure gives great cutting leverage.

I dunno, MB...You look like a brute...me, I'm a 54 yr old wimp, and strained my shoulder this summer on a big rope swing..for kids, eh? and still have no problems with using a handsaw. It is other movements that have kept me from healing up 100% as yet. And now that the snow is flying, rehab will consist of wielding a 48 inch pole in each hand, and shredding the steep and deep!!!

Ski to die, die to ski.......

"I cant see the japs makeing a better hand saw than us for long."

Hardman are you serious, how long is long? I just got a catalog from silky thats about the size of a TIME magazine. They have saws to cover just about everything,IMHO they cant be surpassed on range or blade quality. The same has been said for japanese bikes and cars and they still seem to be very much on top 20 years later.

Out of the 30 or so arborists I work around in 4 companies I know one that doesnt use a silky.

Hand saws are NOT created equal

If you want to perform the acid test, do a rip-cut down a sheet of plywood lengthwise. Also, as well as timing the run, count the number of pull strokes it takes to get from one end of the sheet to the other. Compare one saw to another.

I have done the tests, trying to be non-partial. All the saws cut wood, though one finishes so far ahead as to not really have a competitor.

I'm a big fan of "Buy domestic products" but as far as hand saws go, I have to put that aside and bow to our Japanese friends.

The attached image is of me doing some bevel cuts on a trim piece with a Silky; not tree work this instance.

I have the Silky Gomtaro convertible with the 1500mm pole and find it very nice and sturdy to use.

I am thinking about trying the Zubat convertible but it is on a telescoping pole.

Just wondered if anyone uses this contraption and is it reliable and sturdy or should I stay with the fixed length? Seems as if I have read the telescoping feature becomes loose and does not retain the required firmness "we" like.

I just got a silky for my birthday from my wife. I love it thus far. I am a little unsure on how long the plastic scabbard will last. So for the scabbard is cool. I just don't know if it will hold up.
Those Japs you spoke of invented the pull stroke on all the saws we carry and also the design of the three edged tooth.
I only have the Zubat right now, but I will get the Ibuki, oh yes I will

Back