Happy with my Ochsenkopf Hatchet OX 644

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just tried out my new Ochsenkopf heavy-duty hatchet. This item is unlike the other hatchets I own because of the high quality German steel, the top-notch construction, and the size/weight. Does anyone else own one of these? I would like to know your thoughts and how it's held up. I'm very happy with it so far... Thanks for watching!

Seems OK. Not sure I would need something like that in between size, but might be useful for some folks.

I always see these axes in various catalogs and have thought of picking one up, maybe put it on the Xmas list.

If you want to multiply that happiness, get yourself their "Big Ox". Its my best maul.

Similar conclusion here, just with Mueller 3kg & Wetterlings 2.5 kg mauls and Council Tools 3.5 lb axe. All have longest handles avail. All have wicked-sharp edges. Just don't like short handles.

Thats a good looking tool and probably the perfect "kindling axe" as we would call it.

I do have to bust on you for a minute. You do excellent reviews of arborist tools but are dressed like you are going golfing. ;)

Thats a good looking tool and probably the perfect "kindling axe" as we would call it.

I do have to bust on you for a minute. You do excellent reviews of arborist tools but are dressed like you are going golfing. ;)
Okay, okay, you got me there... It's my cleanest hat and keeps me cool. Although, I do wear a regular baseball hat when splitting wood off camera. I'll consider your advice. Thanks for the compliment on my review otherwise. Stay tuned for more videos. I ordered an Ochsenkoph Forestry Axe and plan on reviewing it later next week. Let's see what hat I'm wearing...:cool:

Okay, okay, you got me there... It's my cleanest hat and keeps me cool. Although, I do wear a regular baseball hat when splitting wood off camera. I'll consider your advice. Thanks for the compliment on my review otherwise. Stay tuned for more videos. I ordered an Ochsenkoph Forestry Axe and plan on reviewing it later next week. Let's see what hat I'm wearing...:cool:
Flannel is always in style around here lol

I have a similar axe without the red section under the head and use it a lot as a wedge pounder for tree removal work. Can't limb with it but they drive wedges well and then hang out by the stove in the winter for splitting kindling.

I have an ochsenkopf for pounding wedges as well. The steel collar makes the handle virtually indestructible. It absorbs mishits and twist. I used to destroy 1-2 hatchet handles each year, now I've made with a single one last 3 years.

Back