HARBOR FREIGHT 10-TON MANUAL LOG SPLITTER

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robespierre

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I watched a youtube vid and it seemed too slow.I just wanted to know if anyone has one.For $100 it might be a good investment for some of you. I will keep splitting by hand for now.

Niche tool, OK for some people in some situations. say someone who can't do an axe or maul effectively, but still needs small quantities split, and wants to do it themselves.

Now something like a 40 tonner, with both arms running it, would be an interesting addition to do gnarly uglies.

Ha! A big one like that, set up so it is convertible, either like that ski way in this HF model, or sit down and do like a rowing machine action, pulling instead. Combo exercise and wood splitting machine.

Good friend of mine has one & I've used it several times. It has split everything we tried in it but it is very slow to use. The bigger the wood the more effort it takes & slower it goes. I wouldn't spend my money on one.

I have one that was given to me (wonder why) and it barely splits stuff that my X7 will split with ease... yes I said my X7 not my X27. Thought about making a press out of it but it is very low on my list. It is a quick way to part $100 from your wallet for scrap iron.

JT

Years ago I got a Eastcoast Minisplitter as a gift from a well meaning friend. It is basically the same thing but vertical, with one handle on a 6 ton jack at the bottom and wedge at the top. Clever invention, but useless if splitting enough firewood for your winter heat. Still got it, use it to make kindling out of splits, works good for that. Can split 2 buckets of kindle in about 10 minutes.

This machine is way too slow.Cannot imagine ever really needing something like this. Works better as a stationary rowing machine.

Well, I bought one last night, haven't opened it yet, I have seen the YouTube videos and the mistakes people make while using it....I have used my uncle's and I liked it.....

The biggest mistake is not knowing how to use the handles properly, there is a high and low gear, also, after mastering that, the next mistake is after a log is split, don't let the ram retreat all.the way back to fully seated, just open the knob enough to clear the next log, this reduces pumping the handles greatly, also it helps to have wood rounds all the same length

Also, it runs sluggish in very cold weather due to the type of oil viscosity/ fluid etc, so run it while weather is warm or change fluids for the correct season....

Splitting with the grain also helps as does the type of wood and the age of the wood, rounds that have been sitting around for a few years and not split tend to take longer than green wood, or rounds that was at least halved before splitting them with this unit.....

But most importantly, don't let the piston travel all the way back into the Jack, just enough to set a new log on, this Way it only takes a few pumps to split most rounds......and remember that one handle is for the high gear, other is the low gear, basically one gets the log in contact to the wedge, the other is the " power " gear, that's what provides the 10 tons of splitting force, most folks don't read the directions !!!

Anyway, here is mine, can't wait to start splitting up these big ash rounds.
ef9c0c46bb77f5e9584c4b631ac1d0bc.jpg
c8792e07b5b4f2105f8560a4afd3ea33.jpg

Well, I bought one last night, haven't opened it yet, I have seen the YouTube videos and the mistakes people make while using it....I have used my uncle's and I liked it.....

The biggest mistake is not knowing how to use the handles properly, there is a high and low gear, also, after mastering that, the next mistake is after a log is split, don't let the ram retreat all.the way back to fully seated, just open the knob enough to clear the next log, this reduces pumping the handles greatly, also it helps to have wood rounds all the same length

Also, it runs sluggish in very cold weather due to the type of oil viscosity/ fluid etc, so run it while weather is warm or change fluids for the correct season....

Splitting with the grain also helps as does the type of wood and the age of the wood, rounds that have been sitting around for a few years and not split tend to take longer than green wood, or rounds that was at least halved before splitting them with this unit.....

But most importantly, don't let the piston travel all the way back into the Jack, just enough to set a new log on, this Way it only takes a few pumps to split most rounds......and remember that one handle is for the high gear, other is the low gear, basically one gets the log in contact to the wedge, the other is the " power " gear, that's what provides the 10 tons of splitting force, most folks don't read the directions !!!

Anyway, here is mine, can't wait to start splitting up these big ash rounds.
ef9c0c46bb77f5e9584c4b631ac1d0bc.jpg
c8792e07b5b4f2105f8560a4afd3ea33.jpg

Any updates on using this splitter man? Ya, I know an old thread, just wondering, thinking about getting one. I don't care about slow, slow is better than not at all, for this heap of knotty oak I have. I can noodle down to a size to fit on the thing, but would hate to noodle all of it to stove size.

A friend was moving and gave me one. I made money on it, when I took it to the scrap yard with a load of steel. The first log I put on it killed it. It was a Bradford Pear, 18" long and it would need to be split twice, into 4 pieces to fit my stove. Maybe 10 inches across. The ram hit the block, wedge sunk in about an inch and that was it. Kept trying to pump handles and something blew. Handles just flopped and ram didn't move. $999 for a 22 ton Husky was a much better deal than FREE for that thing, Joe.

I watched a youtube vid and it seemed too slow.I just wanted to know if anyone has one.For $100 it might be a good investment for some of you. I will keep splitting by hand for now.

You will use it once or twice and it will sit in your garage forever. Don't waste your money. It was designed to get your money not to split firewood effectively. A maul and sledge is much faster. This will wear you out splitting one log.

Any updates on using this splitter man? Ya, I know an old thread, just wondering, thinking about getting one. I don't care about slow, slow is better than not at all, for this heap of knotty oak I have. I can noodle down to a size to fit on the thing, but would hate to noodle all of it to stove size.
I've had one for yrs by a different mfg name...it gets the job done but ain't the fastest thing on the planet, and damn sure ain't no SS HD or 20-ton Dual Split, lol. I've still got it in the shop and no problems with the bottle jack or wedge after all these yrs.

I have all the scenarios....in the order of my acquisitions. A maul and wedge, the 10 ton manual splitter, a LS-7T electric, a 27 ton gas powered. If I were on a limited budget, i
would spend it on 1) maul and 2) an electric splitter.
Like everyone who has this splitter...you spend a lot of $$ for very slow work. I can do
better with a maul, and the electric splitter for the easier logs.

Latest posts

Back