harbor freight 6# maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Ancient USA-Made Maul

I have a USA made 8-lb maul with a hickory handle (Vermont American?) that I bought in 1976. It stll works today. Here is what I did to extend its life:

(1) I wrapped the top 6" or so of the handle with braided nylon twine (90-lb test mason line) using a lashing that I learned in the boy scouts. I replaced it once, about 10 years ago. Steel wire is a good option.

(2) I add a couple of steel or oak retaining wedges in the head every five years or so if one or two dry out or fall out. That keeps the head tight as a drum to the hickory handle.

I have a USA made 8-lb maul with a hickory handle (Vermont American?) that I bought in 1976. It stll works today. Here is what I did to extend its life:

(1) I wrapped the top 6" or so of the handle with braided nylon twine (90-lb test mason line) using a lashing that I learned in the boy scouts. I replaced it once, about 10 years ago. Steel wire is a good option.

(2) I add a couple of steel or oak retaining wedges in the head every five years or so if one or two dry out or fall out. That keeps the head tight as a drum to the hickory handle.

Same here, but it was my grandpa's maul from PA. The ole handle finally bit the dust a year ago, and I can't keep it on the darn handle I made for it.

Same here, but it was my grandpa's maul from PA. The ole handle finally bit the dust a year ago, and I can't keep it on the darn handle I made for it.

You may want to try Elmer's Nano Glue. It's similar to Gorilla glue but packaged better and doesn't seem to dry out as much.
(1) Try to get a tight fit with no wedges. Get the wedges ready.
(2) Moisten the hardwood and apply the glue to it. Add some glue to the surface inside the head's opening also.
(3) Mount the head.
(4) Pound in the wedges to tighten up the fit.
(5) Wait a day for the glue to dry.

If that fails, you may want to look around for another handle rather than use the one you made. A few places still sell them. Saving that head is worth it because it is shaped well and it seldom, if ever, sticks to the rounds.

Latest posts

Back