harbor freight 6# maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 44856

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a 6# maul from harbor freight for $20 a few days ago.
It's a nice maul for splitting, but after a couple of hours, the handle came a little loose at the base.
It is quite firm at the top, and looks like maybe the adhesive did not go all the way through the head.

My first thought was to return the maul immediately, but I do like how it splits.
Is it possible to remove the handle and reattach it more firmly, or would this not worth the trouble?

98312.gif

jb weld was invented for a reason the slower the cure time the more hard it dries so forget the fast set stuff. 5 bucks in poured into the openings around the handle and let her sit overnight should be all secured up next time you grab her.

My brother got one just like it from Tractor supply, handle broke like you said at the top within the first 5 whacks, returned it for another, it too broke, then he got his money back.

If you make some attempted repair.....you probably have little chance of gettig your money back. Take it back and get a new one.....or get your money back. Harbor Freight needs to stand behind their products.......even if they are made in China.

HF is hit and miss.

Got one of the same mauls, first one bellied-up in less then a cord, it's replacement (swapped out in store) has hit the wood full-swing with the handle only, missed wedges and hit on handle, been left out, found in spring. You name it, it held up!

Like mentioned, hit and miss with HF, for extras or spares, or just plain equipment you can use like a rented mule, why not?

If you make some attempted repair.....you probably have little chance of gettig your money back. Take it back and get a new one.....or get your money back. Harbor Freight needs to stand behind their products.......even if they are made in China.

:agree2:

I know the prices are great, but I've just flat QUIT buying anything from HF. Junk tools are too expensive!

When you buy cheap china junk tools from H F all you are really buying is aggravation and disappointment.

Harbor Freight has a lifetime warranty on all their hand tools.
-Got heavy handed with a new bar clamp and broke it.
Brought it back; walked out with a new one, no questions asked.
-br

hf maul

I have several harbor freight hand tools and most of them are of mediocre quality. I have done better with the air tools and a big metal cutoff saw. I'd take the maul back and get it replaced and expect it to be replaced multiple times.

After all that, you have to realize that unless you buy Finnish or Swedish, most such tools are now made in China or elsewhere in SE Asia. I have a Sears Craftsman maul that has been replaced twice. The handle piece projects through the head and is secured with cap on top of the maul and I have had the caps break off twice. But again, Craftsman tool, lifetime warranty. For splitting mauls and axes, I look for old, high quality tools at garage and estate sales and replace the handles as needed. You can still get good quality ash and hickory handles and a few minutes with a drawknife, rasp, and chisel will give a handle that is sturdy and wiggle free. Put the rubber bumpers on the handle or take old bike tubes and wrap several layers and finish with duct tape and there will be few problems.

Looks like one I bought a long time ago. I was able to put a nice hickory handle into it

I hate buying anything from China, we need to bring more manufacturing back to the USA. When we fund Chinas war againts us we will be screwed!!!!!! I know it is very hard to do but I do try to look at everything thing I buy and i know there are times I have no choice but I still try to not buy Chinesse

jb weld was invented for a reason the slower the cure time the more hard it dries so forget the fast set stuff. 5 bucks in poured into the openings around the handle and let her sit overnight should be all secured up next time you grab her.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses.

I was on the verge of taking the maul back, but am really happy with this maul, and after splitting a tree decided to keep it.

Harbor Freight has a lifetime warranty on all their hand tools.
-Got heavy handed with a new bar clamp and broke it.
Brought it back; walked out with a new one, no questions asked.
-br

Awesome.

Looks like one I bought a long time ago. I was able to put a nice hickory handle into it

Where did you get the handle, and what process did you use for attachment?

I haven't had good luck with the yellow handled fiberglass mauls, we've tried a couple of them. The heads will come loose within just a few cord. Once there is any wiggle you might as well write them off as no epoxy, jb weld or any thing else we tried worked. They want as much for a replacement handle as they did for the maul. We just put good ole hickory handles in ours and they have lasted. It's hard to beat mother nature.

Back