Hard Leaner Near Power Lines, Advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a single phase dead-end pole with #2 or 2/o service. Looks like a reasonably new installation. The primary voltage is most likely 7200v (phase to ground), enough to kill pretty quick.

Most utilities have multiple Arborists on staff, that can come out and assess the situation. If they don't take the tree down entirely, they certainly can do a "make safe" cutting and let the property owner do the rest. That's common practice.

The utility will be far more forgiving if they are consulted on the front end of the impending job, rather than responding to a situation where the pole is broken, transformer damaged and primary conductor on the ground.

Get with the utility arborist and discuss it. Then decide on the best course of action.
The dilemma is my folks said that BC Hydro -the electricity provider- has come out on 3 separate occasions to inspect the tree, and then did nothing about it. Not to mention it's been weeks since the last visit. It seems getting hydro to cut the tree down is becoming an unreliable and repetitive chore.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Well, then go with their assessment. If they don't co nsider it a hazard, why should you?
I think they just forgot about it. And the top fell off this past summer and almost took the lines out already, not to mention the rest of the tree is hanging 8 feet away on a HARD lean, waiting for a nice wind to knock it over.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

That tree has virtually no area for wind to push against, will take a mighty wind to knock that one over.

Get BC Hydro's Vegetation Manager's number for that area and talk to him directly. I've seen BC Hydro come out in 1 day's notice for a tree they thought was a hazard. If the Veg manager doesn't think it's a hazard, it's his ass on the line when it comes down and smacks the wires. Just get it writing.

That tree has virtually no area for wind to push against, will take a mighty wind to knock that one over.

Get BC Hydro's Vegetation Manager's number for that area and talk to him directly. I've seen BC Hydro come out in 1 day's notice for a tree they thought was a hazard. If the Veg manager doesn't think it's a hazard, it's his ass on the line when it comes down and smacks the wires. Just get it writing.
Will do. Thanks

Then with some helping hands, we will pull it backwards into the parking area.

Lots of YT videos of this fail. Have you asked the power company if they will remove the leaner? You're paying for the service and it's their infrastructure at risk.

The dilemma is my folks said that BC Hydro -the electricity provider- has come out on 3 separate occasions to inspect the tree, and then did nothing about it. Not to mention it's been weeks since the last visit. It seems getting hydro to cut the tree down is becoming an unreliable and repetitive chore.

If it wasn't obvious in my reply, I happen to work for an electric utility. I can assure you, that the sqeeky wheel , does get eventually greased. Keep at it. Be courteous, but persistent.

They leave leaning trees and limbs on primary lines. If it's on private property the owner is responsible for clearing, at least in Brant and Norfolk counties. Seems to have a 5 year inspection cycle and up to 2 year wait, if it even gets done.

I see 2 birch. The back one looks shielded from the lines from the birch in front of it. Looks like you could fall it away from the lines with little difficulty if u have an opening back there that is. But the front one. Unless you can climb walk away. Looking at the angle. Good chance if you hit them it wouldnt bring them down. Just deflect. But you don't want to cross those lines with a tree stuck leaning against them. And if the word dead is involved in this conversation this should'nt even be a conversation. Dead is a huge No No for anyone without the experience working with dead wood. Let alone being around power lines. Of course it is almost impossible to assess something like this through photos.

I'm thinking along the same lines as some others... have somebody who is standing quite far away take video.
As a general rule, you don't flop entire trees in an urban environment, you dismantle them. In many municipalities, you are required by law to contact the appropriate utility companies before doing any tree work within ten feet of their lines. Even arborists are required to have special certification for line clearance work, in many cities. One thing we don't do is flop the tree until it's been dismantled, and the spar blocked down to below the utility lines. You should seriously consider not only the risks to your life, but the liability consequences.
Well said.

Back