Hard starting 034 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobsta1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an 034 AV that earlier this year started giving me a hard time starting. The pull cord is real tough to pull, almost as if there is too much compression. If it does burp, it will yank the cord handle right out of my hand. If I just eeease the cord out, it makes a very distinct tug at each revolution. With the plug out, using compressed air I can spin the engine over easily. Even with the plug in & wire disconnected it is tough to pull the cord. I know nothing about two-strokes. As an experiment, I left the spark plug loose to lower the compression. Was able to start right up without killing my hand. Revved it a little bit & shut it down. Tightened the plug & tried to start it again. Didn't start but almost broke my fingers ripping the cord handle out of my hand.
The local Stihl dealer is mostly a construction rental place. My saw is so old they can't even locate it on the microfiche.
help
Al

Welcome to AS!!!

First... If you dealer is using Microfiche, get another... The 034 av is on the current Mediacat CD release, or printed IPL, and every part is available.

Excessive compression? Unless you have carbon build up from running poor quality mix oil etc, probably not.. Are you running 50:1 mix? Have you measured the compression?

Check the recoil pawls -the little plastic parts that engage the flywheel. If burred over or damaged, they can grab the flywheel when the engine catches. Upgrade it to the "two pawl" system as found on the 036 - $5 or less.

The 034/036 can be quite snappy on the recoil when in good condition. Ease the hand related issues by installing an Elastostart pull cord assembly - maybe $18.. Then when pulling over.. move it to just before tdc and quick, but firm pulls.

And don't start it with the plug loose - that's how to get a plug embedded in your forehead... ;)

So??? I billed it to Ultra, cleaned out the box and NO message!! It better be important or you'll be driving a Ford.:popcorn: :rockn: :rockn:

Lakeside53 said:
And don't start it with the plug loose - that's how to get a plug embedded in your forehead... ;)

i won't ask how you know that....

sounds painful. :bang:

Lakeside53 said:
So??? I billed it to Ultra, cleaned out the box and NO message!! It better be important or you'll be driving a Ford.:popcorn: :rockn: :rockn:

Don't you threaten me! :buttkick: I'll drive the blue oval when the blue C is behind it. View attachment 41070

Sheesh you popular people sure are touchy. :)

Message sent.

Lobsta sorry for the OT. The great minds here will get back to sawing in nothing flat. Those 034's sure were a fine saw, best of luck to you.

hey SD, does this work for you? http://www.fordcummins.com/

SmokinDodge said:
Don't you threaten me! :buttkick: I'll drive the blue oval when the blue C is behind it. View attachment 41070

Sheesh you popular people sure are touchy. :)

Message sent.

Lobsta sorry for the OT. The great minds here will get back to sawing in nothing flat. Those 034's sure were a fine saw, best of luck to you.

Had a customer bring in an 028 once with the same symptoms, turned out
he had topped off his gas tank with bar oil. You might just try draining out all
off its bodily fluids, and pull the rope for a while with the plug out until dry.
Then put the plug back in and pull the rope and see if it still kicks back, that would rule out a carb flooding problem.

When this first started, the pawls got mashed. Replaced them & the new ones still look good. No burrs or marks on them.
With the plug out & the recoil off, hitting the sparkplug hole with compressed air spins the engine freely. With the plug still out & recoil mounted, I can still pull the starter rope freely. Put the plug back in & leave the plug wire off & it is now difficult to pull the rope. Definitely very notchy as each conpression stroke comes around.
I am using 50:1 oil. If I open up the exhaust & find it all carboned up, what can I safely use to clean it out?
Thanks for the replies.
Al

Guys, I have the very same problem on my 064. When pulling the cord, it seems like the motor has terrific compression. Then after working on it for 5 minutes, sometimes it gets ok again and can be pulled as it should. Hard on the back though:(

Didn't someone a few months ago come up with an easy way to start saws without compression release?

Have you noticed more smoke? I have had a lot of the case half gaskets go bad on Stihls that allows the engine to suck chain oli into the crankcase and the hard pull to start is the first symptom. I am the only person in this area that seems willing to split the case and repair 042s that stay sealed

NWCS said:
hey SD, does this work for you? http://www.fordcummins.com/

That'll do. I prefer the Ford body over the others to begin with. There's just no way I'm going with a Flower Poke. I get to keep my father's and buddy's trucks with them running. I absolutely hate working on them but what's a guy to do?

What is an Elastostart? Spring & housing are good as I checked them out when I replaced the pawls.
Al

Quote from an old thread:

"That handle is not just shock asborbing it actually stretches so when you crank a big engine you get a super smooth pull and should it kick back the handle doesn't sting your hand."

Stihl dealers sell them.

PEST said:
Have you noticed more smoke? I have had a lot of the case half gaskets go bad on Stihls that allows the engine to suck chain oli into the crankcase and the hard pull to start is the first symptom. I am the only person in this area that seems willing to split the case and repair 042s that stay sealed

I think we may have a winner here. Gave it a pull today with no choke. Burped & pulled normally. Pulled again & started up. There were only half tanks of fuel & oil. Ran them out & refilled. Tried to start it & back to the hard pull & no start. Pull the plug & every thing spins nice & easy. Put plug back in & forget it. Cleaned the motor out with brake cleaner & was able to get a few easy pulls & then same problem. Drained the oil tank & tried to clean it with brake cleaner. I'll let everything dry out tonight & try again tomorrow.
Al

Did you say you put brake cleaner inside the engine?? if you did.. fill the engine with gas/mix, let it sit and pour it all out... brake cleaner is the worst thing you can put inside an engine... Ever noticed how well it strips paint?

Back