Hardy H2 burn time and Hardy H4 Burn Time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poston5

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am going to purchase a Hardy H2 or Hardy H4, but i have not found much info on the burn times that others are getting from the units. Currently i am heating a small house roughly 1,200 SF (that doesnt include the full basement) and i will be heating the domestic also. I am sure the H2 will suffice but i plan to move it to the next location when a build a house and shop which is making me think an H4. My main concern is getting a long burn time since i work long hours. I do not want to be starting a fire morning and night, but Hardy publishes info the claims the H2 gets a 12 hr burn time. I assume others are getting more than 12 hrs. out of their H2.....can anybody give me some more info. Current furnace is 66K BTU and keeps up fine, i use less than 400 gallons of propane a year and my highest electric bill has been $160.

The main thing i see between the H2 and H4 is the firebox is another 10" wide and a few more gallons of storage.

i have a hardy h2 heat 2000 sf and hot water . it will make it more then 12 hours.

When I researched OWB before I bought one, one of the things I found to look for was large water capacity.

I have a H2 and heating 3000 sq ft including unfinished basement and dom water. With any kind it depends on what you are burning. With a mix of wood I get 12 hours with out a problem. My brother has h4 but is useing it to heat his shop as well. My parents two of my brothers and my self have them and I have nothing bad to say about them. This will be 8 years for my parents and the only thing I have had to do is replace a rellay. I said I had nothing bad to say but need to add that the older H2 float valve would not last they have gone to a new one that fits in place and is better. The best thing is we never run out of hot water. My wife can wash cloths her and all three kids ages 4 to 10 so you know they wast water can take a bath and there is plenty left at night for a hot shower. Hope this helps.

I have an old h2. Built in 87' I bought used on 5 th year use. I do get at least 12 hr burn most of time longer. Even burning junk wood , cold , wind. house is close to 1300 sq feet

Have you really got your heart set on a hardy? Look hard at flue design and firebox size when comparing owbs. Just remember the longer the gasses stay in and the more surface area the heat has to contact, the more effecient the unit will be. Also make sure you use a good underground pipe.

I have had my h2 since 2003 w/ just a house the stove will do great but, if you add a shop you need a h4. I have floor heat in a 40 x 40 shop and when it kicks on the h2 doesn't keep up if it is very cold outside say 10 deg. or below. I am thicking of buying a h4 my self. The most inportant thing you can do is use very well insulated lines under ground central boiler uses some of the best . I sprayed foam insulation on top of mine.

I have had my H4 since 2005 and can easily get a 24hr burn 2000 sq ft 1st floor 1500 second floor plus all the hot water 4 kids and two adults can use, I fill it when I get home from work every night usually about 4:30 Now granted if the weather is cold and windy zero temps it will be out of wood, still plenty of coals to get it going again, as the outside temp goes up the more wood I have left at the end of 24hrs.

i started mine in september burning pine and i could easily get 24+ hours now that it is cold like in the teens i put wood in it twice a day i only put about four 8" peices in it to make it last 12 hours. i am heating 1600 square feet with a un finished basement and hot water. i really like it and would recomend them to anyone smoke can be an issue if burning wet wood but i have been burning dry wood and have very little smoke once it cycles once there is no smoke at all

Yeah I am set on a hardy. There are too many good reviews on them too pass one up, lots of owb's that are 20 years old. Reliable is the key for me.

I have an H2 .I heat about 1300 sq. ft . I'm filling about once a day . When it got real cold a while back I filled 2 times a day only 5 or 6 pieces in the AM then filled full at night . Where are you at in Ohio ? I'm up near Mansfield . Who is your dealer ? I can tell you one that I don't recommend if you PM me .

I am purchasing it in Newark but i live in lancaster. I tried to send a PM but i dont think it went through because it is not shown in my sent messages.

Are you going with Rick wheeler if so that's who installed mine. He was fast and did a great job I would recommend him to anyone. If you aren't going with him and want to let me know and I'll give you his number

Yes, i am going with Rick Wheeler. He seems to be a straight shooter and was very helpful on the product. I am going to do my own install.

After watching him install mine it was easy and he seems to be a strait shooter you'll like dealing with him keep us posted on it my hardy is coming a year old and we wish we would have put it in sooner saves a lot of money hardy any smoke and doesn't use wood like some people warned me about

I went with the H4. I very easily go 24-36hrs between fills. Even when it's been in the single digits, filling once a day has been enough. Granted there is mostly coals at that point but that's no problem.

I did majority of the install myself. It's worth your time to test the water you plan on filling the stove with though to make sure your chloride (salt) levels. If they are too high, it's easier to get some barrells and collect rainwater.

i also went with the h4 and my burn times have been more than 24 hours although i check on it twice a day cause i enjoy it. i am trying to get ahead on my wood so smoke is not an issue

I have the H5 economy (same as an H4) and heat a relatively new 2800 square foot home with very high ceilings. If I fill it and its below freezing out I will get 12 hours out of it no problem. I use a mostly well seasoned hardwood, but sometimes will throw in some semi seasoned stuff depending on how the fast the woodpile is shrinking. I have had my Hardy 7 years with no problems what so ever. I have to agree that it may not be the most efficient out there, but from what I've heard they last a long time. We also use it for domestic hot water. There are 5 people in my family so there is a lot of hot water used for showers and laundry.

Next question is to use Pex or Kitec? I am leaning toward Kitec for ease of install and that seems to be what hardy recommends. Also do you guys just put all 4 lines together and wrap in pipe sleeve insulation. I am leaning toward burying in 6" SDR 35 sewer pipe. Give me your thoughts.

Latest posts

Back