Hardy H2 Re-Insulation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraze

Reaction score
I am doing some updates on my hardy h2 owb and the original insulation is pretty much shot. Just curious if anyone has any recommendations on what to use? The original was 1.5" thick and has deteriorated greatly from condensation and past boil overs. Thanks.

I know that Hardy sells a complete insulation Kit. I just started working on my Hardy H2 that has been sitting for at least 13 years. I will probably be replacing the insulation with their kit. I did find a guy on one of these forums that said he had used 3 layers of 3" thick ISO foam board insulation. He built a frame out of treated lumber around the insulation and used metal to match his garage. He claims to have went from a 12hr burn to a 24hr burn by doing this. I know that 9" of insulation would definitely keep the heat in.

I think I am going with the insulation kit as well. However, I thought about adding some additional insulation and making it match my building as well on the outside of the stainless shell. I wonder what he did around the door and rear access areas with the insulation?

Fraze,
If you google (re-insulating Hardy) You will find a post on Outdoor Wood Furnace Info that has Bull's post about using the Iso Insulation board. I read were another guy used 2" thick Tank Wrap for his OWB and said that it is cool to the touch. The Tank Wrap is made of Mineral Wool so it can withstand high temps. I'm going to check with some local insulation companies and tell them what I am looking to insulate and see if they can offer anything. My local Hardy dealer said it was $150 for the H2 kit and probably $100 in shipping.

Hey Guys,
I wanted to let you know that I just spoke to a company here in Greensboro N.C. They will sell the Mineral Wool insulation in 2' x 4' sheets. It runs around $8 or $9 dollars a sheet. The Mineral wool is designed for High Temperature applications and is more dense than the insulation that Hardy sells. It comes in 1" , 1.5" and 2" sheets. It is raw insulation on both sides but is rigid like board insulation. This is what I have decided to go with since it is way cheaper and I think it will perform better since it is more dense.
http://www.spi-co.com/pdf/Mineral-Wool-Pipe-Insulation-Datasheet.pdf

Latest posts

Back