Harness input anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adronetree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a new Petzl Sequoia SRT. Back feels good. I like the sliding bridge setup and general configuration of the harness. The angle it sets me at is just right with the rings set in the middle loop. I've tried all three settings and I have a problem with it.

My problem is my legs are maybe 12" diameter from center of thigh to hamstring. I weigh near 220 right now at 6 ft. Waist is 35-36".
The Sequoia is a tourniquet on my thighs. It cuts into my legs badly because the pads aren't wide enough. Doesn't take long hanging from the rope before my legs or if I'm lucky part of my crotch are almost asleep. I think I'm way too heavy for such a minimalistic harness.
The other thing I don't like is no buckle on the waist and having to step in and out of it with muddy boots or even better dog crap on your boots (it has happened).
I guess i made a mistake buying it.

I'm looking on the Sherill sites at the Edge, Tree motion, Ergovation, etc.... They all look good but I wanted to see if you guys could give me any feedback on any of these new harness's.
The tree motion looks nice I tried it when I was at Sherill one day but I didn't like the bridge on it. The rope with knots locked by the connectors looks a little iffy to me...

I am a low experience climber and not limb walking or anything too fancy. My climbing is often double rope hip thrusting.
Weight is not a great concern for me I think a few extra pounds won't really matter and price is not an issue.
I'd rather not use a bosun seat but want to avoid the tourniquet situation.

I'm not in the US right no so trying them on is not an option I just have to order without seeing it first.

Can any of you guys recommend one that might be right for me?
Thanks
A

Last edited:
The SRT really does suit smaller/lighter climbers who aren't spending so much time hanging in the saddle. I'm a bigger guy, 6'3, 250lbs +boots +spurs +gear +saw puts me in at around 270. I've been climbing in a treemotion the last 2 or 3 years and I quite like it, but I bought it without trying it and from memory the harness is one size fits all but only up to 36". I'm 40", and the harness still fits just fine. My legs are huge, and there's plenty of room for adjustment. The only annoying thing about it is that the upper D rings kind of ride your hip bones if you're my size. The bridge and the general construction is rock solid, and the ability to configure the harness is excellent and practical. If I was buying again I think I'd be looking at the ergovation because it is available in fat bastard size. Having said that, the treemotion is a fantastic harness and mine has 2-3 years of daily production climbing on it, both in spurs and rope only. It's an extremely versatile harness.

Shaun

I have the ergo and tree motion and like the tree motion much better and Im also a big guy at 6'4 230 +gear. For me the tm is so much more customizable and more comfortable also much lighter than the ergo

I have a new Petzl Sequoia SRT. Back feels good. I like the sliding bridge setup and general configuration of the harness. The angle it sets me at is just right with the rings set in the middle loop. I've tried all three settings and I have a problem with it.

My problem is my legs are maybe 12" diameter from center of thigh to hamstring. I weigh near 220 right now at 6 ft. Waist is 35-36".
The Sequoia is a tourniquet on my thighs. It cuts into my legs badly because the pads aren't wide enough. Doesn't take long hanging from the rope before my legs or if I'm lucky part of my crotch are almost asleep. I think I'm way too heavy for such a minimalistic harness.
The other thing I don't like is no buckle on the waist and having to step in and out of it with muddy boots or even better dog crap on your boots (it has happened).
I guess i made a mistake buying it.

I'm looking on the Sherill sites at the Edge, Tree motion, Ergovation, etc.... They all look good but I wanted to see if you guys could give me any feedback on any of these new harness's.
The tree motion looks nice I tried it when I was at Sherill one day but I didn't like the bridge on it. The rope with knots locked by the connectors looks a little iffy to me...

I am a low experience climber and not limb walking or anything too fancy. My climbing is often double rope hip thrusting.
Weight is not a great concern for me I think a few extra pounds won't really matter and price is not an issue.
I'd rather not use a bosun seat but want to avoid the tourniquet situation.

I'm not in the US right no so trying them on is not an option I just have to order without seeing it first.

Can any of you guys recommend one that might be right for me?
Thanks
A
You mentioned that you are low on experience. Is it possible you should be more concerned with learning better climbing techniques rather than switching saddles? Just a thought. I have a regular sequoia and have had very few issues with it. The only time I have had problems with the leg straps is when installing cables. Any other time I am moving about the tree and doing my thing and not having problems with my leg straps. I suspect you may well have issues with any saddle that doesnt have a bosun seat. I should also mention that I am 6 2 and weigh in at about 250

You mentioned that you are low on experience. Is it possible you should be more concerned with learning better climbing techniques rather than switching saddles? Just a thought. I have a regular sequoia and have had very few issues with it. The only time I have had problems with the leg straps is when installing cables. Any other time I am moving about the tree and doing my thing and not having problems with my leg straps. I suspect you may well have issues with any saddle that doesnt have a bosun seat. I should also mention that I am 6 2 and weigh in at about 250

I am working on it and getting better with climbing again... I've posted before I was the only climber when I first started tree work. Owned my own tree company for 15 years or so and after a few years hired faster climbers than me while I ran things on the ground.. Having a decent size crew of guys depending on the time kept me out of the tree.

Moved to another country were things are different so now I'm climbing again at 40 and relearning. Too many years riding around on the bobcat and in the truck makes you look stupid when you climb again....feel like a kid again. I am relearning in a much safer and smarter way than when I was early twenties.

Anyway, all this is besides the point. Having numb legs the whole time is no good and that's why I'm posting. If I'm hanging from the line without being spiked in there is not much I can change thats going to stop my legs from being cut in two by the Sequoia.

Sounds like the Ergovation or the Tree motion might be good choices. I have considered going back to a Bosun thats what I used to use but I'd like to see if I can find something new that will work.

Last edited:
T
I am working on it and getting better with climbing again... I've posted before I was the only climber when I first started tree work. Owned my own tree company for 15 years or so and after a few years hired faster climbers than me while I ran things on the ground.. Having a decent size crew of guys depending on the time kept me out of the tree.

Moved to another country were things are different so now I'm climbing again at 40 and relearning. Too many years riding around on the bobcat and in the truck makes you look stupid when you climb again....feel like a kid again. I am relearning in a much safer and smarter way than when I was early twenties.

Anyway, all this is besides the point. Having numb legs the whole time is no good and that's why I'm posting. If I'm hanging from the line without being spiked in there is not much I can change thats going to stop my legs from being cut in two by the Sequoia.

Sounds like the Ergovation or the Tree motion might be good choices. I have considered going back to a Bosun thats what I used to use but I'd like to see if I can find something new that will work.
Try using atleast one foot asender while trimming. It is a big help for many reasons. It can do a lot to help get the weight off those leg straps and keep blood moving.

Hmm

I always wondered how well foot ascenders worked. Not a bad idea I might try that.
I can foot lock but its more frustration than its worth for me. If I wear tennis shoes or hiking boots its no problem but with my logging boots (Chippewa) its difficult .
The Sequoia still has to go though.....

Seqouia

I put the Seqouia on the classifieds under other Equipment if anyone wants to look......About to order the Tree motion.

I put the Seqouia on the classifieds under other Equipment if anyone wants to look......About to order the Tree motion.

Did you look at the New Tribe Onyx. I have climbed on it a few times now (most recently a giant doug fir in Oregon) and really like it. Has a rope bridge and the large V shaped butt pads that make it very comfortable when seated and is extremely light weight.

Ad; I have been using the Sequoia SRT saddle and did experience the same as you. I bought a Kolibri Click saddle from Skylotec. Those have big leg paddings and are a lot more "comfy". I have not experiance the same problem with my legs going num after that.
Skylotech_2D_Click.jpg
I bought mine from Honey Brothers in the UK. A bit pricey but they are worth it.
Göran.

Ad; I have been using the Sequoia SRT saddle and did experience the same as you. I bought a Kolibri Click saddle from Skylotec. Those have big leg paddings and are a lot more "comfy". I have not experiance the same problem with my legs going num after that.
View attachment 315944
I bought mine from Honey Brothers in the UK. A bit pricey but they are worth it.
Göran.

I really want one of them k clicks. They sell cheap at Treestuff. Anyway i work climv with a Buckingham ergovation, awesome saddle does it all. Holds a lot of gear, supports big saws well. Luke also sent me the srt strap for it.…… BF my ergo i used a arbpro tree access. Its alot like the sequoia srt exept for wider back and has. Clevises as rings for the webbing bridge.. I still use it for rec climbs. Great saddle Imo.

I was looking at either the Ergovation or the Sequioa, but after reading this, I'm leaning away from the Sequioa (although I am a lighter guy, under 170, so maybe I wouldn't have the same issue?) I tried the Ergo and thought it was very comfortable. Now you guys have me considering the Tree Motion. Who makes it? I was going to order from Bailey's but I didn't see it in there catalogue. Anyone know if they have it?

Back