Has anybody tried the wire mesh safety glasses from Bailey's yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, i used mine for the first time saturday. i liked them a lot. you get used to the screen quickly and they give you a sense of confidence when you are limbing. you don't have to worry about limbs slapping you in the eyes or chips flying in your eyes. i used them until the first time i took them off to refuel, that is. then my almost 7 yr old thought that he needed them more than i did. he confiscated them and would not give them back. oh well. he is really good about helping tote wood and bringing fuel, oil, water, wedges or saws, so i guess it is a small price to pay to keep him in the woods. i will have to order another pair from baileys.
not to hi-jack, but you should have seen him pick up the 346 (not running, of course) while i was bucking with the 385. when i would let the 385 idle down, i could hear him making saw noises and putting the bar on the log, doing his best immitation of bucking..........priceless!!!! later, my brother asked if i saw it? i did i said. he thought it was as cool as i did.

Ordered a pair of both the Bugz and the safety mesh. The Safety mesh are back ordered till late Sept, so I'll have to wait to compare. The Bugz are shipping out today. I'll post prictures when I get them.
Marty

Sorry I don't have any pictures yet, but I have been using the Bugz for awhile and they are great.
I just received the mesh "glasses" today. I'll post a comparison when I get some time using them. The glasses make me feel like Macho Man Randy Savage though (ha ha).

The Bugz are great. I have cut about 8 cords of wood with them and had them on everytime. In fact, just last weekend my Uncle, while helping me cut wood, removed his safety glasses because they were fogging up while cutting. These goggles work in all weather conditions and I will be using these everytime I use my saws.
There is only one thing that "bugs" me about the bugz. When using them in warmer condtions they sweat up where the foam meets your face. The wet and the foam make for a slimey feeling, but in the advent of safety, worth it.

Talk soon,
Marty

There is only one thing that "bugs" me about the bugz. When using them in warmer condtions they sweat up where the foam meets your face. The wet and the foam make for a slimey feeling, but in the advent of safety, worth it.

i had the same problem. i took the fordham and made a few holes for drainage. i am also thinking about taking a small bur and removing every other wire, making the grid larger. it would still be small enough to stop any wood chips.

I have the wire mesh screen with my Peltor hard hat and the only issue I have with the mesh screen is rust. I sweat like a bugger when I am working and the salt begins to eat away at the mesh. Don't know if that would happen on the glasses, but I am on my 2nd screen because of rust.

I sweat like a horse too, yet my Baileys mesh glasses seem to be holding up fine. The Bugz are stainless, so they should be even more resistant to sweat. Haven't had a problem with the cheapee's though...

I had a Stihl helmet with a mesh shield. Nothing annoyed me more. The shield was constantly getting caught on everything. Finally I removed it from the helmet.

The goggles are a must have for anyone serious about cutting wood. They work great.

Jury is still out on the mesh glasses. I havn't tried them yet.

Marty

i had the same problem. i took the fordham and made a few holes for drainage. i am also thinking about taking a small bur and removing every other wire, making the grid larger. it would still be small enough to stop any wood chips.

I wouldn't cut any of the mesh out, I have had a pair for a few years and occasionally something will get past the mesh. I think maybe a piece of bark.

I've tried them all, mesh visors, perspex visors, goggles and fly-eyes, the flip-up mesh visor wins by a country mile, goggles are absolutely hopeless coz they instantly fog, get blurry with sticky gum and grime and get scratched to hell. Perspex visors are similar, they get blurry, grimy and scummy. Fly-eyes are too dark in the shady bush, suffer badly from sun-strike and you can't flip them on and off at your leisure like the mesh visor, wearing fly-eyes is like stumbling around in the dark with sunglasses on

what about these?

i was thinking of these ones ,wire mesh ,high impact paint ball goggles.
attachment.php

Well I have had a chance to cut with both pairs long enough now to realize I wouldn't be without either. I like the "glasses", because they are easy to get on and off. They are also cooler than the foam of the "goggles" sticking to your face on the warmer days. The goggles however provide superior protection and the foam is nicer on the cooler days as it covers up more skin. If I had to have just one pair, I would buy the glasses, but I would strongly recommend either to anyone who asks.

Go get a pair,
Marty

Back