Has anyone Heard of doing this, or Done this while Mixing Gas/Mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Ratio Rite mix cup (habit from dirt bikes) and just dump in the proper amount to make 50:1 for whatever per gallon I'm using. Just wash the cup out with a little fuel mix that you just made and dump that in too...and it's done... no muss no fuss. Never had any oil related problem ever.

S'not rocket science...

Gary

The ONLY reason the manufacture suggest 50 to 1 is because of epa emissions. The saws would not pass epa regs at 40 to 1. Everybody in my area has been mixing 40 to 1 for years with less problems than 50 to 1.

I'm with sawman on the 50 to 1 ratio being a product of EPA rather than good engine lubrication. I mix 32 to 1 or richer never leaner and have had no problems for years doing so. If you are afraid of leaning out the fuel air ratio running more oil then just adjust your H needle to richen it up, don't starve your engine for oil or you will pay with more wear or worse. I have had more than one long time shop owner and lawn care pros tell me to "run a little bit more than the recomended amount of oil" in my two cycles. A very thin layer of oil is all that stands between high machined surfaces of your engine, it only takes a few seconds of that layer being removed and your engine is so much scrap metal.

I will burn between 8 and 9 gallons a week so filling up is quite a routine. Our 5 gallon saftey can will hold 5 gallons if you literally occupie every bit of the can. it will comfortably hold about 4.85 gallons. And what i like to do is dump my oil in and then clean out the excess that still resides in the bottle with some gas. I figure that i am getting just a tad less than 50:1 which i like.

in 1974 yamaha imported the tz 700 4cyl road racer producing 90 - 100bhp would hit 170 mph run on 16/1 ratio. running massive main jets, loads of smoke. warm engine up on soft plugs and then when engine temp was up change them for hard types the fuel you mixed then you had to use in 24hrs or it would separate if let standing and could nt be remixed again by shaking!!. as the quality of oil improved so the ratios got thinner, less siezures. more reliable running no messing with plugs etc. so when the high grade oils appeared such as belray oil, in the early eighties i was runnning tz 250/350 yams at 50/1 with more power and reliability with no significant wear problems.thats over 25yrs ago!. i recon they know what ratios to run in saws this day and age with no fear.

I used to run low smoke 40 -1 then ultra 40-1 now I just run
straight gas the oil is too expensive:hmm3grin2orange:

Good on you. We don't have straight gas any more. It's all a blend. I understand the ethanol has plenty of lubricants in it. Oh, and water is it's own lubricant, of sorts.

Eureka! Just add a little water to your fuel and you've got it. No muss, no fuss.

Now, should a person use tap water, softened water, spring water, distilled water, or...?

(Shouldn't have too many fuel related problems until you try to start your saw!!)

Last edited:
Back