Has there ever been a saw with oil injection?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oil injection would add size, weight and complexity. Im not personally familiar with any oil-injected chainsaws but I think the reasons I stated above are why chainsaws are still premix.

Might require us to change our ways of thinking, but they already have an oil pump..... Another line with a metered flow couldn't be that expensive or heavy. Finding an oil suitable for both duties might be another issue.

Why? Why not? Dump gas in one tank...oil in another/no mixing

If so.. Why?

Well, why did they go to oil injection on snowmobiles? Less of a chance of mixing wrong.

The oil tank wouldn't have to be that big. It could even be located in the handle or some other small place.

I know that I'll hear someone post something about running out of oil..

I'm just trying to think outside the box. If no one thought this way, we'd still be using crosscut saws and driving vehicles that still have carbs, no FI. Or one could go back a little farther and start using clubs and put a fire at a base of a tree to "cut" it down.

Back around 1977 I was in the 6th grade. I wanted to make a remote car starter. I only got as far as thinking about it. There were quite a bit of road blocks, how to deal with the choke, manual trans, having "used up" vehicles that needed a little talking to to start. But, now many vehicles come equipped with them.

Dan

I had a 50cc suzuki four wheeler when I was a kid that was oil injected. It would go a very long time on a tank of oil.

Im sure though the added weight of more oil along with a full tank of fuel and bar oil, plus the complexity of designing all of this in a small package is the reason no maufacturer has done it yet.

Well I say "yet" but I better add before I get scolded, if there is such a thing iIve never seen it.

Premixed vs. injected I prefer premix because if the injector dies then you're screwed. Personally, I don't find it very difficult to mix the gas and oil and the peace of mind knowing that the engine is being properly lubricated is worth the slight hassle...

A while ago when i used to ride snowmobiles i went on a trip with some buddies. We were cruisin alone not even under a heavy load and the oil pump died....that was a new top end on that sled. It is now premix. I would hate to have a saw come to the same fate. I will always pre-mix.

My kids have Yamaha Zinger 4wheelers. They are oil injected. It looks like a simple setup,at least on the 4wheeler. The only thing is making sure its set right. Im sure that is being looked at for the future. I know it will complicate things but what doesnt anymore.:cheers:

I'm all against oil injection for the simple fact, it can fail. It was the weakest link on the Mazda rotary engines. Failed oil injection lead to many apex seals. We always just ended up premixing in the gas tank... Sorry EPA.

When engineers are designing a saw and chassis, they have factors which influence design. One of those is manufacturing costs. It's much cheaper to transfer the expense of mixing gas and oil to the end user than to integrate an oil injection system into the standard basic chainsaw.

Heck I know people who have got the gas and bar oil mixed up before. Could you imagine getting the bar oil and mix oil messed up... Whew I could get lots of parts saws :) Thats all we need 3 reservoirs.

Heck I know people who have got the gas and bar oil mixed up before. Could you imagine getting the bar oil and mix oil messed up... Whew I could get lots of parts saws :) Thats all we need 3 reservoirs.
I have seen a few saw that were straight gassed by people who thought the bar oil tank was the tank for injecting the oil with the gas. They swore that the gas had oil with it, they had filled the tank up before using it. If I remember right, they were Wildthings.

Hi all, 1st post, great site with lots of knowledgeable folks on here. I owned many 2 stroke bikes (yamaha) in the late 70's 80's and 90's and they all ran oil injection. Over 30,000 miles and never any probs. They had an oil warning light that came on when the tank got about 2/3 empty. Good design. But me thinks saws are best left pre-mix cos it don't complicate things for manufacture and keeps cost down and when all said n' done its easy to mix. That said, i see that a major saw company has a new cut-off saw on the market which has a sensor that detects if the fuel/oil mix is incorrect and will only run at idle speed until the proper mix or specified oil is used. I bet Sawtroll knows all about it. :)

Latest posts

Back