Has this ever happened to you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greystoke

Tarzan
Reaction score
Time for a rant! I will edit as much as possible so read on only if you please.

Received a phone call from a guy who says he is "Lieutenant -----, and I am calling on behalf of ------, and she says that you have not finished your job for her". I asked if this was the police, and he butts in saying "are you going to finish the job or not"! I tried to explain myself, and he butts in again and says "just tell me that you are going to finish the job", to which I reply "I will be right over".

I Have been in business since 07, and this is the first time I have had a complaint, especially one like this.

For some background on the job in question: I took down a dead cottonwood tree on 8/30, for a sweet old lady???? who was elderly enough that she could not come out of the house when I bid on the job, but the job was straight forward enough that I felt comfortable to bid and perform without much explanation. I gave her a cheap bid ($225) because I am a sucker for feeling sorry for people. The tree was 30" dbh, had to be climbed topped and chunked, also mess cleaned up. As I was finishing up the job (had the tree on the ground, most of the wood and brush cleaned up and was doing some raking) She informed me that she had to leave for lunch (driven and assisted by someone else). Anyhow, she gives me a check and leaves and seemed happy with the job. We finished cleaning up, which consisted of raking all small stuff, however some pencil diameter sized twigs (no longer than 2", or anything that a rake would not get, are mixed with gravel in driveway, and mixed with 3 inch thick mat of pine needles on side of driveway that I could not sift out(think rural country setting). Also, I left two small 5 foot tall sucker trees that were branching off the lower root of the dead tree, as I thought she might want them for replacements, which is what most of my clients in the past have wanted.

I received a call from her the afternoon of 9/1 stating that she was sorry she had to leave and was not there when we finished the job, but she did not want the sucker trees left, and maybe we could rake a little better (keep in mind that approximately 50% of my jobs are in settings like this, and I have never had a complaint). I told her the sucker trees would be nothing to clean up, but the twigs? I would see what I could do? Told her that the guy that i sub all my cleanup to was out of town til after labor day, and would that be too long, and if so I would come do it right now (I am 45 miles away) She says that is fine, "no hurry" just as long as it gets done soon.

This morning, not five minutes after I got off the phone with my cleanup guy, talking about this job, and saying it needed to get done today or tomorrow, is when I receive the threatening phone call. I was a little frazzled, but after thinking about it for a few minutes I decide to call the number back that was saved on my phone. It belonged to the local council on aging. I could not believe that someone would call me and threaten me like that! I made sure that the job was cleaned up (took about ten minutes) Called the Client and asked if she was happy with it, of course she says she is, but she is looking out of her window 80 feet away. I again explained to her about the debris mixed with gravel and pine needles to which she replies in a sweet, little old lady, english accent, "that's fine the weather will deal with that, just mainly wanted the little trees taken out, and maybe a little more raking" She also informed me that she was getting her hair done this morning and explained to her friend (I am guessing Lieutenant) that she was a little worried that I would not finish the job. He told her he would take care of it....She said she was sorry, but hoped I understood, and she wished to use me in the future...that is how I felt...USED! This client is fired! I am such a sap for these elderly people that live in way nicer conditions than my family and I do, but I feel sorry for them and give them cheap bids, trying to be a good guy.

Called the place again and asked for the director and explained to him about the phone call, and that I just wanted to talk to the guy who made it, and would take it no further, if he could make this happen. He was very courteous and professional and said he would get to the bottom of it. 10 minutes later the "Lieutenant" calls and is much nicer this time and very apologetic. He tells me this has nothing to do with the council, and that he was "very sorry sir". I explained to him that for future reference not to be making threatening phone calls. He told me he was not threatening and when I asked him if he was a Lieutenant, he says he was in the army. I told him that I knew what his intentions were and was done with the situation, that I just wanted to speak my mind on the matter. Hopefully he does not lose his job.

I may be a little high strung, or proud, but there are certain things that stick in my craw, so I will NOT be bullied by anybody. How many of you feel this way?

But you WERE.

How's that? I called the guy on his b.s. and finished my job like I said I would. Now maybe I would've been bullied if I had finished the job with no follow up, but that is not what I did. By the way Edgar Rice Burroughs has not came after me yet.

Last edited:
LOL, he buffaloed you.

Should have told him to police deez nuts. That it is a civil matter and if he wanted to get involved he would need to contact your attorney.

That being said, see it as a learning experience. If you are going to be leaving some rakings then specify that before you start the job. The old folks are sticklers about cleanup. It would be helpful for you to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the wisdom MD! I guess I am just too laid back in how I handle my business, but it has worked for my clients thus far...that is one of the things that works for them too. As for the old lady...most of my clients are elderly, some are persnickety, and some are not, she was not persnickety to my face, but behind my back, which is why I will be more cautious from now on...it just sucks that I have to be!

Just a small bit of advice:

1. Don't write off the little old lady. Just be ready for next time.
2. When a customer/lawyer/police/ or other so-called representative fails to fully identify themselves, or they do not answer a question; turn on your bully detector.

These people are refusing to deal with you on your terms, yet they want you to do something for them. You should understand that when you are in a position like this, you can take your time talking to them. Confirm all facts, be reasonable, and demand nothing less than the same treatment from them.

If they rant and rave? Politely explain that they should call you back later when they can be more civil. Then terminate the call.

Just a small bit of advice:

1. Don't write off the little old lady. Just be ready for next time.
2. When a customer/lawyer/police/ or other so-called representative fails to fully identify themselves, or they do not answer a question; turn on your bully detector.

These people are refusing to deal with you on your terms, yet they want you to do something for them. You should understand that when you are in a position like this, you can take your time talking to them. Confirm all facts, be reasonable, and demand nothing less than the same treatment from them.

If they rant and rave? Politely explain that they should call you back later when they can be more civil. Then terminate the call.

Thanks for the sound advice pard. I don't know that it is worth it though? Worst client in three years, and I don't have to deal with b.s. like that...We will see how hungry I am if she calls me again!

you did what you thought was the right thing. don't let ignorant people ruin your day. you could do a text book technical take down or pruning job and most people do not understand/appreciate what you did, but every body knows neat and clean!

you did what you thought was the right thing. don't let ignorant people ruin your day. you could do a text book technical take down or pruning job and most people do not understand/appreciate what you did, but every body knows neat and clean!

What I thought was the right thing? everybody knows neat and clean???????? Did you read my whole post? You would not make it in my world and I would not make it in yours!

Last edited:
You handled it better than I would have.

Be careful with the elderly.Many of them can't remember a conversation they had 30 seconds ago.Some are just drunk or simply nuts.

Tarzan, 2 things:

1. From my experience, people aren't impressed so much by removals or how well a tree is pruned, but boy do they get excited when you do a good clean up job. And yes I read your whole post, I am just saying from my experience and in general.

2. No good deed goes unpunished.

Oh and here is one more for you

3. The road to hell is paved with good intentions....live and learn bro.

Be careful with the elderly.Many of them can't remember a conversation they had 30 seconds ago.Some are just drunk or simply nuts.

And some of them will play the role.

Had one that we had a contract with to do a major project on his property. Over a hundred trees. Storm restoration and a few removals. We took over after he had fired another service on the project. Well, after we got through with well over half of the trees he paid us a partial payment then fired us and hired another service. What he was doing was playing games and trying to pay partial payments then firing a service and hiring another one to keep from paying full price on the work that had already been preformed. We camped out on his doorstep with our signed contract and collected the rest of our money. His son, who is an attorney was present and told him that it would be in his best interest to pay us what he had agreed to. We didn't collect full payment as we did not complete the whole job but we had every tree itemized and collected our billing for those trees which was $1100 more than what he had paid us.

Always get a signed contract. Especially on a major project. It will often cure a short term memory.

I try to do a good job for everyone and always leave a satisfied customer. I give even a little more to my seniors.

Last edited:
The elderly can be especially hard to please. I had a call just yesterday that I missed. I used white pages online. It gave me name number address and also said age 65+. Called the number back shortly after they called me and got yelled at for not answering my phone then told she had called another service and did not need my help. Sorry, YOU called me. I was just making sure she was taken care of.

1. From my experience, people aren't impressed so much by removals or how well a tree is pruned, but boy do they get excited when you do a good clean up job. And yes I read your whole post, I am just saying from my experience and in general.

2. No good deed goes unpunished.

Oh and here is one more for you

3. The road to hell is paved with good intentions....live and learn bro.

:agree2:
with #2 but not #3

I would write her off. From what it sounds like, you're already in the hole for this job so why do more and especially if this is how she treats you, sicking the Lt. on you! You can make more money working for someone else.

:cheers:

All good replies. Thanks guys! I am not sure how I will deal with another client like this, but as time goes on, it will be a good learning experience...it is a harsh world we live in...too bad :(

How's that? I called the guy on his b.s. and finished my job like I said I would. Now maybe I would've been bullied if I had finished the job with no follow up, but that is not what I did.

Right here:

I tried to explain myself, and he butts in again and says "just tell me that you are going to finish the job", to which I reply "I will be right over".

Back