Hauling in wood.. My style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
same Jeep in play mode

took this camping last summer. She cleans up nice!

DSCF0205.JPG

nice pics, I don't have any woods type setup, but this works for me going down the highway. I am building another trailer with 10K axles and sides for the bigger loads...

attachment.php

attachment.php

thanks for a good idea

This is the best picture I have showing the crane and the winch. I have a 50' lead on the winch control so I can get out into the bush to hook up the logs without walking back and forth. That way I can unsnag the log as well. I just use a 1/4" choker chain on the log and a 5/16" winch cable. The crane is adjust able both in height and boom length depending on the load I am lifting. Th first few logs come in over the back and then once the trailer has sone weight in it I can lift from the side as well. I have posted a large version of this picture so you can see detail. There is a winch roller fairlead just below the winch base to help guide the cable.
Check out my new hauling rig I built on my traailer this week end . Let me know what you think !Thank you Graystone for the idea . I dont know how much it can lift but I know I had some bucks on it that weighs around 350-400 lbs .
I just looked it up (thank god for internet ) it can pick up 2000 lbs .
Oh yeah it was free, and I did all the work myself !

Last edited:
I use my jeep to haul in the wood. I have a winch front and back just in case I get stuck. I also use the rear winch on the crane mounted on the trailer to lift the logs up onto the trailer. This was a big load and put a bit of strain on the Jeep hauling it out of the bush. Jeep has 10/15 31 Goodyear Wrangler MT tires with a 3 inch lift kit for those into Jeeps. These pictures were taken last fall.

Nice Jeep! But you sure are not being gentle with it! :D

Crane Winch on Trailer

Check out my new hauling rig I built on my traailer this week end . Let me know what you think !Thank you Graystone for the idea . I dont know how much it can lift but I know I had some bucks on it that weighs around 350-400 lbs .
I just looked it up (thank god for internet ) it can pick up 2000 lbs .
Oh yeah it was free, and I did all the work myself !

Pacman;
The new crane winch on your trailer looks good. I'm sure it will save your back.
Does the boom on that crane extend up to give more height or is it a fixed height? I can't tell from the pictures. I looks like it extends up but not sure. You could always build an extension on the base plate if you need more height. Remember to load the trailer with the weight a bit farther back to make up for the increased tongue load due to the crane winch.

Jeep Haulin Wood

Nice Jeep! But you sure are not being gentle with it! :D

BlueRidgeMark
Everyone asks me if I go offroad with the Jeep and I tell them no. I do not go to the nearest mud hole to get dirty. I do go offroad as far as it takes to get to the wood. My friend has a 200 acre wood lot we are clearing out the dead trees and those blown over in the wind. Gives me a good supply of wood. The woodlot is covered in old narrow trails which the Jeep will just fit down I take it easy in low range when hauling the loaded trailer out of the woods. Very rocky area so you have to be careful. The Jeep seems to be doing just fine. I have not broken anything on it yet.

my winch boom ....

Graystone the winch is rated at 2000 lbs max at 3 ft boom . I can boom it out to 7 ft at a max of 1200 lbs . It will extend out to 7 ft and it swivels too . It was a freebie from my job . It was just laying around and I asked my supervisor could I have it . The next day I was putting it on the trailer !

Nice Crane

Graystone the winch is rated at 2000 lbs max at 3 ft boom . I can boom it out to 7 ft at a max of 1200 lbs . It will extend out to 7 ft and it swivels too . It was a freebie from my job . It was just laying around and I asked my supervisor could I have it . The next day I was putting it on the trailer !

Pacman;
I'm glad to hear it extends to 7 feet. That way you can really lift the bid rounds or logs high enough to place they where you want on the trailer. Let me know how it goes. Sure looks like a nice set up. I use a short choker chain 1/4" to lift my logs. I have a slip hook on 1 end and a chain hook on the other so I can get it tight around the log. Then I hook on the crane hook cable and lift away. I have 3 different length chains 2' 3' 4' so I can use the right chain for the right log.

slipped

Pacman;
I'm glad to hear it extends to 7 feet. That way you can really lift the bid rounds or logs high enough to place they where you want on the trailer. Let me know how it goes. Sure looks like a nice set up. I use a short choker chain 1/4" to lift my logs. I have a slip hook on 1 end and a chain hook on the other so I can get it tight around the log. Then I hook on the crane hook cable and lift away. I have 3 different length chains 2' 3' 4' so I can use the right chain for the right log.

I tried it out and I used the slip method too after figuring out how . It is cake ! ( sweet ) ! .... oh yeah not for sale , lol .

Last edited:
trailer sides

I am going to put some rough oak sides on my old trailer soon too .I have to get another hitch for my pick up too so the d.o.t. wont mess with me . I found out that another guy on this site got a ticket for hauling wood and it wasnt tarpped . I am just going to try to do the right thing so I wont have any of that paper work from the d.o.t .

Back