Hauling wood manually

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pull it

I once had a boss give me hell for dragging a 1/2" x 20' chain and my reply was I tried to push it but it endded up being draged. hehe. the dr wagons work well and in this case you would want to the wood in as big a pices as possible then cut to the lenght that you need. some one makes a hand log arch that looks as if it would work well . you could strap it to one end and a pulling device to the other. dont forget the pulley system to either redirect or increce your pulling power. biggest diameter wheels as possible will make it easier to move over rough ground.

For the future (getting older, etc.), might want to work on getting a road in there. Rent a tractor and build a road a little more in each year. Then it will get easier and easier with time.

So far as cost, yes you can spend a small fortune on this stuff, but I'm glad I did this several years ago. The electric rates around here went up 13% this year and are going up another 2% next year. No problem for me with my wood heat!

Plus it is fun and good exercise.

How narrow?

If you live where it snows, a plastic sled works great in "skidding" cut firewood out to the trail.

Is your trail too narrow to get a riding lawn tractor down it with a small wagon or trailer attached?

If it is real narrow, how about a small motorcycle ("dirt bike") to pull a wagon? I've done that with my Yamaha XT500 at times and it works well.

For moving wood down the hillside to the wood shed you should check-out a masons wheelbarrow. This type of wheelbarrow is a wooden flat deck, sometimes called a sod wheelbarrow. I've used one for years doing tree work and at home to moving firewood to the basement.
For dragging small sections for logs down a hill I use a nylon sling or loop. Take a wrap around the log and then just pull.

If you live where it snows, a plastic sled works great in "skidding" cut firewood out to the trail.

Is your trail too narrow to get a riding lawn tractor down it with a small wagon or trailer attached?

If it is real narrow, how about a small motorcycle ("dirt bike") to pull a wagon? I've done that with my Yamaha XT500 at times and it works well.

Good idea with the dirt bike! Excellent way to get a motorized vehicle through narrow passages.

4x4 4wheeler with a winch. Narrow enough to get in, powerful enough to get out with the tree trunks. Use a rope and the winch to get to the really tight places and get a small trailer/wagon for the small stuff. Just drag the trunks back to your cutting/splitting yard and do your work on some nice safer level ground. Thats what we do when we can't get the tractor in. Works very well. Good luck...

Years past I just cut up wood laying around in the woods. Now I have access to my neighbors property and some bigger stuff to go for. I clear paths through the woods and take the mower deck off my Simplicity mower to get in there.. Obviously it has its limitations, but does pretty good.
In this picture I was splitting the wood cut down at the edge of her field and carting it back about 1/4 mile to my house. That trailer is a 10 cu.ft.. I'm looking at getting a 17 cu. ft. with wider tires. I plan on taking rounds back to my house for splitting.
Even at the age of 54, I'm in it for the exercise too and hand split a lot of the wood. My other neighbor has a splitter I can use when I've had "enough exercise".
A mans got to know his limitations.

Kevin

Pile1.jpg

Leverage

The last few years I've been getting about 60% of my wood from other people's lots/camps etc... I can't drive to any of it, and that means moving wood from as far as 200 or so feet away sometimes. I do this in several steps, I like the exercise, but I also want to get the job done. Sounds like the reason you can't use say a 4 wheeler is the steepness/rockyness of the area your in. I learned to do it all in steps. A big wheeled wheelbarrel is essential, whether or not your going to use it for the whole journey or not back and forth. I did it all in steps. Either way, it never costed me a dime and I never felt unsafe. I built small roads and built them in steps. For downhill, you can always roll rounds, this means building a small trail with small logs on the sides that will guide the rounds down to where you can load them and move them to the other area. For uphill, you need to do the same, but instead of trying to haul up the cart with say 300lbs of wood in it, you'll need to find a tree at the top of where your at, use it as a pulley and winch or pull it up with a strong rope/cable. Make sure you hook your cart with the 2 widest points, then you can go to the single rope/cable. You could then even hook it to a vehicle and pull it bit by bit. Same as before, you need to make a path so it has nowhere else to turn/go on the way up... I also would cut some stuff up to 4' and carry it, cause I wanted the workout... This is just a couple ideas. An old sled works GREAT for hauling over this stuff also, just put some sides on it. Think like the old timers did before 4 wheelers and all this crap was around. Be creative and try not to think about getting say a big stack moved at once, or the whole job, but focus on pieces. Also work from different areas frequently. This will keep your interest longer and not make it so monotonous for you. Hope it works out for you guy and stay safe and DO NOT LIFT WITH YOUR BACK!!!! Cheers eh?

:cheers:
Dude

Jonsered Iron horse

Ck out a Jonsereds Iron horse.Have crawler track on them(rubber i think).It would work great for any situation.:clap: :clap:

Ck out a Jonsereds Iron horse.Have crawler track on them(rubber i think).It would work great for any situation.:clap: :clap:

Well, maybe not on a steep hill????

...and they sure cost some money.

Btw, I broke my leg and damaged the ancle when carrying logs down a steep hill in may, and it still isn't good, ancle swollen, and lots of iron in there.......

Last edited:
You might look at having a tractor come in and cut some roads. I used to trade firewood cutters for tractor work and we were both happy. Getting roads in will make the property much more accessible and more valuable. If you plan your tractor time, it is amazing how much a D 4 or 5 sized tractor can do in a day. I use my saws for the exercise and still have my crawler loader to bring logs out. I always get more exercise than I can handle just cutting the firewood.

Much easier to pull than push. I have been moving wood from the outside storeage to interior every year (6 cord) for the past 30 using a 2 wheel cart (homebuilt 2'x4'x1' (sides). Hauls an amazing amount of wood with a couple scrap pieces of ply to make the sides higher. Changed to a 4 wheel, heavy duty wagon (green house type) as it will go through my porch door. Problem with that one is the wheels set under the wagon and somewhat inset so it gets tippy if the wood is piled very high.

Harry K

I also have a DR powerwagon (wish I could have found it used but bought it new). It is well worth the too much money I spent on it! Honestly, I can justify the cost in dollars saved heating with wood in less than one season (if you don't factor in any of my time, of course). It works every bit as good as their video suggests and has hauled about 15 full cords since I bought it last year. The company's been great to deal with on the 2 small warranty issues I have had (no questions asked...were willing to blue label me the parts I needed).

I cut my wood in the fall and winter, split it where it falls and leave loose piles in the woods like a squirrel. The next summer, I haul it home in my pickup (hauling it to my truck with the DR). Sometimes the wood is hauled a ways with the DR as I can't always get my truck close.

My advice is to work on your trails 1st as you work on your firewood thinning so you can access the woods and get it out. Hauling wood by hand gets real old fast and wastes a lot of time. +1 for Logbutcher's advice. Get professional advice from a state or independant forester and get a plan in place before you start cutting. You can't put them back if you cut the wrong ones :)

DR Powerwagon is my solution

I also have a DR Powerwagon, and for the same purpose. I have a 6 acre woodlot, but no real trails. Being that small, I'd rather leave it as untrampled as possible.

The DR Powerwagon works well for me. Its real nice because it can pull right up to where you drop the tree and load it right up. No rolling or dragging wood to a path. The power tilt helps with lifting bigger rounds.

Works great in the spring when the ground is still frozen, but the bulk of the snow is melted. It's not as great in the mud, and even worse in deeper snow.

I tried an ATV with trailer, but still need turn-around space, so not nearly as maneuverable. With the DR, you can navigate almost any footpath, and it turns on a dime.

I use some vertical 2x4's to stack wood over the sides. With that, I can fit most of a 14" tree in 2-3 loads. With 16" lengths, you can fit 2 rows, plus a little space for odd pieces.

Its a walk-behind setup, so still plenty of manual work to gathering firewood, but if you don't want to cut paths or roads, there aren't many other options. For me, burning 3-4 cords/year to supplement oil heat, it's an elegant way to save some oil money, and keep the woods in good shape.

Has a lot of other uses around the property too. My wheelbarrow has a flat tire and I haven't missed it for a year now...

With DR you can send it back if it doesn't work for you. They seem good to work with, and for me they are the home town heros here in Vermont. I got mine at a factory sale for almost $1000 off list. (was just about $2K with the full package).

You might look at having a tractor come in and cut some roads. I used to trade firewood cutters for tractor work and we were both happy. Getting roads in will make the property much more accessible and more valuable. If you plan your tractor time, it is amazing how much a D 4 or 5 sized tractor can do in a day. I use my saws for the exercise and still have my crawler loader to bring logs out. I always get more exercise than I can handle just cutting the firewood.

Or rent a bobcat with a backhoe attachment or a mini ex. If it ain't all rock, you can do alot a atv trail in one day.
Ken

I've seen some gas powered winches at local auctions lately that look like they might do the trick for you. Anchor it to a large tree and pull the logs to a spot that is more easily accessible. I like the powerwagon idea as well, I just didn't realize they were +$2,000. I saw one on Craigslist a couple of months ago for $350 and it needed an engine. I thought the price was a little steep, but considering the cost new, it would have been a deal. Another idea that popped in my head while reading this was from a previous thread on this site. A guy was using a pick-up truck with the rear end on blocks and no tire on one side, just a rim with cable or rope wrapped around to skid logs. The speed the logs were traveling looked pretty dangerous, but I'm sure that could be adjusted, especially if the truck has hubs that can be unlocked manually and a transfer case with low range. There are probably other options using a system of pulleys and cables, but that might get pricey considering the distance it sounds like the logs need to travel.

I just got a used DR wagon a month ago. It also needed carb work. I have it back now and it works great. I delivered firewood to a house with a very steep and long driveway. It pulled the hill like nothing. The darn thing help a 1/3 of a face cord with the factory stakes. I bought mine off craigslist for $250 also. I had looked for well over a year for one. I didn't want to spend the $2k for a new one. But man are they handy. The woman delivered to wanted to buy it. I think she is going to buy a new one.

Scott

Right now I"m in a "I'm doing this for the excercise" mode. Both my neighbors offered to loan me there splitters so I may take them up on it as time goes by.

I'll look into the cost of a power wench, but if I spend too much more money the whole idea of "free" heating begins to go begging.

===

Bet ya belive in the Santa Clause too huh???

There ain't no FREE lunch...:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back