Have a couple questions. Plz help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insometry

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys! Great to see such a community for the tree climbers. Anyways, Im new to this. Just bought a split suspension cotton arborist saddle, slick line throw line kit, 150' of 1/2" Arbor-Plex, Petzl Ascension ascender, basic figure-eight, auto-locking carabiner, pre-tied Technora prusik loop, 24" nylon sling, 1/4" quick link, and a ascender foot sling.

Also got a rigging system. I got movies and books for rigging, but I failed to get enough information on how to set up the actual rope climbing stuff above. (I also have the tree climbers companion)

How do you put the harness, Petzl Ascension ascender, basic figure-eight, auto-locking carabiner, pre-tied Technora prusik loop, 24" nylon sling, 1/4" quick link, and the ascender foot sling all together!?

I know how to get the line in the tree, ect...

But I cant figure out the system for me. How to attach myself to the rope with all the above pieces.

Could anyone help or send me to a couple simple pictures or something?

It would be GREATLY appreciated.

Go ask the guy that you bought all that from.

Looks to me like you bought a lot of advanced climbing system gear when you needed to get just the basic starter stuff.

BTW, where in Kansas are you?

okietreedude1 said:

Looks to me like you bought a lot of advanced climbing system gear when you needed to get just the basic starter stuff.

BTW, where in Kansas are you?

I'd agree with that statement. If you don't know your basic tie-in procedure and a friction hitch of one type or another you really have no business even buying the gear...let alone a rather advanced rig. This isn't something that you just buy the parts and read the instructions. You NEED someone who knows what the hey they're doing to "show you the ropes" so to speak. If you don't have an experienced teacher all the great gear you bought is just going to get you hurt or killed.

After being shown over sometime, I had to demonstrate that I was capable before I ever left the ground. You need to have someone to gauge your abilities.

Don't leave the ground untill you can properly check your equipment, plan your ascent, set your line, properly tie in, tie the friction hitch that's appropriate (without thinking it through!!) and safely identify any hazards. You also need to know how to get out of the tree in case of an emergency.

Buying the gear doesn't mean that you're ready. This question leads me personally to believe that you truly aren't. Please be careful. Try to find someone local to work with till you are. And as a heads-up....it's not going to happen over a weekend.

He is closed over the weekend - located out of state. He told me instructions would be included but either the instructions weren't as good as I was expecting, or he forgot to put them in. He's a great guy though. Been really helpful.

Really wanting to find some pictures or something to read up on it as much as possible before trying stuff at 10 feet.

I live in Johnson County Kansas.

Well...that maybe true. I am planning to meet with a guy that does rope tree removals in these parts Monday or Tuesday.

What is "basic starter stuff?" I dont see how a couple of ascender are out of the ordinary for beginning rope/tree climbers. Or the harness. What else is more then your basic rope climbing set up (that saves energy)?

If you don't know your basic tie-in procedure and a friction hitch of one type or another you really have no business even buying the gear...let alone a rather advanced rig.

I know the knots ect... I just want something to look at to make sure I have the following in the correct spot/order: basic figure-eight (before and while ascending)., auto-locking carabiner (and how it is used in relation to the rope and the following items:), pre-tied Technora prusik loop, 24" nylon sling, 1/4" quick link.

Thanks for your the concern guys. I'm in Kansas - trees are short. (jk) ;)

But really, I'm not foolish around heights. I have a guy "showing me the ropes" in a few days. Doing this with a couple other guys. Just getting started.

I have to start somewhere right?

All I need is a picture or something of the basic harness setup to make sure I know where everything should go.

Edit: county

Johnson county eh....

Being that the KC area, look up Treejunkie, Davidsinatree, redbull, or bottlefed89.

These guys are all in the KC area and these are there AS handles. Treejunkie is a VERY experienced climber and may be willing to show you some things. Drop him a pmail and ask. I know the other guys are experienced as well but Ive never had the opportunity to see them climb or work with them on a job site.

As for having short trees, there are a lot of BIG trees in your neck of the woods. You want short, go to Goodland. :)

One final piece of advise (in case you havent already been told or read)....Start slow and stay low.

Basic means spurs and a steelcore flipline, according to the experts here. Easy to climb with spurs and a steelcore, any hack can do it, listen up, you gotta walk before you run. All that fancy stuff is for fancy people, spurs, steelcore, tautline=been working for ever.

Was under the impression that spurs could damage the trees. Most of the stuff I would be doing would be trimming/pruning/dead limb removal. Not full on tree removal.

Thanks alot okietreedude1. I will PM them.

yes

Insometry said:
Was under the impression that spurs could damage the trees. Most of the stuff I would be doing would be trimming/pruning/dead limb removal. Not full on tree removal.

Thanks alot okietreedude1. I will PM them.
yes your right spikes for removals only. you got a lot o gear , ask for the simple stuff first taughtline hitch monkey knot and a bowline on your saddle slo/low body thrust try it a on low limb put yor rope arond the trunk tho. ,work into the shiny stuff good luck`

Good set of toys ya got there. I didnt see a scare strap in the list. Did ya get one of these? All your ascending stuff wont be any good if ya dont have one cause now your up a tree without a secondary tie in. I guess you could use ascender stuff and put 8 below the hardware and descend but thats it. Grab saddle, and rope and a scare strap(?) and put the rest in a box for later. No strap..... hip thrust is now your Ascension method, to remain tied in at all times. You will find this very fun and rewarding. Try to pick a nice warm day to practice;) 2. I guess you could tie exploding monkey paw with climbing line, set rope around main trunk 20'-30' up, get prusik, learn how to foot lock, once in tree with presik still in place pull up a tail to tie in a friction hitch then undo presik and climb around and descend. But that is a spaghetti mess around ya during tie in stuff so check and recheck before moving. After you have learned how to do this well then move to mechanical toys. Did ya get a cambium saver? Might as well go all out. Practice setting your life line in tree with cambium saver. All from ground. Welcome to the wonderful world of tree climbing. Its fun and exciting and scary all at the same time. Read and reread your Tree Climbers Companion untill you have all pages tattered and worn. P.S Im bought :) a F-16 fighter plane, anybody know how to start this thing?

I didnt see a scare strap in the list. Did ya get one of these?
Yeah. Steel core - I think its a 10 or 12 footer. Cant remember.

Thanks for the steps. Will do.

Read and reread your Tree Climbers Companion untill you have all pages tattered and worn.

Working on third time.

P.S Im bought a F-16 fighter plane, anybody know how to start this thing?

Sure thing. Three bottons first. Right hand side - yellow button. Red switch above and to your left. Button in front of seat that is orange.

Then hit the engage engine button. Should be good to go.

;)

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

anybody use the swabich it is what i have been using and i too am new climbing but this knot lets u ascend and decend with no fuss

Jonathan, who are you meeting up with? I live in North Kansas City and I am planning another get together this Spring (when the snow melts WTF!). It will be lots of fun, good brats, and you might learn a thing or two about climbing.
Ill keep you posted. Meanwhile, if you would like to hook up and go over the basics, just holler at me. Goodluck and climb safe.

Sup redbull? Thanks alot for the offer. I would love to meet this spring - if you guys dont mind a noob hanging around pretending to laugh at climbers jokes with words I really dont know the meaning of. :p

Im 21. Got an 18 and 20 year old guy working with me. We live in the Olathe area.

Tentatively, meeting up with a guy named Jeff Cochran. (I dont know if I spelled that right...and if you are on this site Jeff - I apologize. Noah hasn't given me the spelling of your name. :)) I'm not sure when we are meeting with him however, and I would love to go over the basics as much as possible. If you have time - I can drive up north with my guys and meet you - go over some basic starter stuff and then take you out to lunch (or dinner) at a place of your choosing. Let me know what you think.

Thanks alot for the support and feedback guys. Will use as much as possible.

Jonathan

I'll start planning something now, and as soon as the snow melts and ground isn't muddy, we'll hang out. I'll try and get a couple of the other local guys out. Last time we had six of us up in my Burr Oak at one time. Lots of fun, even for the noobs. Theres pics of our little get together at the end of this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=28622
I'll keep you posted.

Sounds awesome redbull. Im excited. Pics look great.

Here are the instructions the place I ordered from sent me via email.

Rope Climbing Kit Instructions

Your rope climbing kit should include the following items:

• Saddle
• Climbing line
• Hand ascender
• Foot ascender
• Foot pro ascender strap
• Nylon webbing loop
• Steel quick link
• Throw line
• Throw weight
• Throw line storage bag
• Figure 8
• Prusik loop

1. Begin by putting on the saddle, making sure that all buckles are properly secured. The waist belt and leg straps should be snug, but not tight. Take note of the d-rings on the saddle. The d-rings located on each hip are for a positioning lanyard or flipline. The d-ring(s) located in the center close to the belly button are for the climbing line.

2. Install the climbing line in the tree:
a. Tie the throw weight on the end of the throw line
b. Choose a strong, well-positioned crotch and throw the weight through it using an underhanded toss.
c. Tie the climbing line to the end of throw line without the throw weight.
d. Pull the rope up into the tree with the throw line by pulling on the end with the weight attached.
e. Once both ends of the climbing line are reaching the ground, untie the throw line from the climbing line.
f. Stuff the throw line into the storage bag, starting with the end that does not have the weight and grabbing approximately 1 foot at a time.
g. Tie one end of the climbing line securely to the base of the tree so that it will not slide up the trunk, or tie a running bowline and snug the knot up against the branch. Either way, make sure one end of the climbing line is tied to the tree.

3. Attach the hand ascender to end of climbing line that is not tied to the tree at chest height.

4. Attach the Foot Pro Ascender Strap onto the hand ascender using the aluminum quick link on one end. It should go onto either of the two holes at the bottom of the hand ascender.

5. Put on the foot ascender. If you are right handed, put it on your left foot. If you are left handed, put in on your right foot.

6. Attach the auto-locking carabiner to the center d-ring(s) on the saddle.

7. Using the steel quick link, attach the nylon webbing loop to the other hole in bottom of the hand ascender.

8. Now attach the nylon webbing loop to the carabiner on the saddle. This will provide a secure attachment to the rope if you decide to rest on the way up.

9. Tie the prusik loop onto the climbing line above the hand ascender using a prusik knot. Make sure to carefully dress and set the knot so that it will grab if the ascender should fail.

10. Attach the other end of the prusik loop to the carabiner on the saddle.

11. Attach the foot ascender to the climbing line.

12. Put your other foot into the stirrup of the Foot Pro Ascender Strap.

13. Climb the rope by alternating your weight from one foot to the other, always advancing the ascender with no weight in it.

14. While you are still low to the ground, it may be necessary to reach down and pull the rope through the foot ascender in order to advance it. As you get higher, the weight of the rope below the ascender will be enough to do this for you.

15. As you advance the hand ascender, the prusik knot above it should also be advanced by the ascender.

16. When you are ready to go down, slide the prusik knot up the climbing line and set your weight in it so that there is no longer any tension on the nylon webbing loop.

17. Reach down and remove the foot ascender from the climbing line, leaving it attached to your foot.

18. Disconnect the hand ascender and nylon webbing loop from the climbing line and also from the carabiner on the saddle. Attach both items to the back of the saddle where they are out of the way.

19. Get out your figure 8 and thread the climbing line into it (see picture x).

20. Connect the figure 8 to the carabiner on the saddle.

21. Holding the tail of rope below the figure 8 firmly in the down position, reach up and slowly pull down on the prusik knot until your weight is back on the climbing line.

22. Raise your hand holding the climbing line below the figure 8 until you start to feel the rope slip and yourself descend. As you descend, let the rope run through one hand while the other hand pulls the prusik down with you. If you let go, the prusik loop should come tight and stop your fall. Experiment with changing the angle at which the climbing line enters the figure 8 by moving your hand with the rope in it up and down (see picture). A more aggressive angle will create more friction with the figure 8 and slow your descent. A less aggressive angle will reduce the friction and accelerate your descent.

23. While descending, try to go slowly and smoothly without any stops and starts if possible.

24. Once you reach the ground, disconnect everything and pull the rope out of the tree.

Any of thoughts?

OKay, that will get you to your tie in point....now what?

why dont you give me a call and Ill get you in the direction of moving out ward in the tree. It will cost you some $ in the means of more gear, but youll also talk to an experienced arborist.

As for the directions, I can picture the process in my head and it doesnt seem to be that complicated, but for someone with no experience, I can see how it could be confusing.

OKay, that will get you to your tie in point....now what?

Im assuming you advance the tie in if you need to.
I have a 12' U.S. Rigging 5/8" Steel Core Flipline as well.

I have no idea how to move out in the tree though. :( I would love to call and talk to you, but at the moment I cant afford buying more equipment...cash flow is to tight with my main business. So I dont want to waste your time...

Let me know if you still dont mind the call. You could explain what I need to get and do - so when I have the money I can call you up.

Jonathan

Thanks small wood.

Alright guys - been climbing. Got a local guy to show me how to climb using ONLY the Prussic (sp?) hitch. Used that a few times...then tried my ascenders. My foot ascender (a petzel) keeps slipping off the rope. When I raise my foot, the rope pulls against the silver section that catches it, opening it up and letting the rope out. It sucks (and is hard to get out of an ascender system hanging there. lolol) Any ideas? Anyone else use an ascender system? (Hand/foot) Can you give me some idea on what Im doing wrong?

Im right handed - have the foot piece on the inside of my left foot.

Back