Have a couple questions. Plz help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a couple questions. Plz help!

I think most people have a bit of trouble with the line coming out of the foot ascender when they first try it. It's just a matter of technique. The out and back movement that's causing it to come out is useful for flipping the rope out when you want to climb off the pantin. It may help for now to tie a short loop of throw line to the slot in the "silver part" of the pantin. You can reach down and give it a quick grab and you won't end up hanging there with your knee up by your chin.
Just keep trying; you'll get it.
Phil

Hey guys. Thanks again for the response.

Here is a pic. of my coworker, JP, up in a tree. Our job is to trim/clean up 7.5 feet up down to ground (Unless it is bigger than around 8"), and cut out dead limbs. Wish we could clean the tree up more - cause they need it. But not getting paid to do that. Anyways...

Treequestioncrop.jpg

Red = dead that we cut out - the big one he is next to we rigged for the heck of it.

Showed you his tie in points.

The area I have a question about is circled in purple. This whole limb branches off the tree about 4 feet up. Its a good foot to foot and a half in diameter. The biggest part, the top section, is completely dead and broke off. It has a couple average health branches coming off the bottom side (under the dead broke section), however they are injured in the marked areas. Those branches eventually hang down to about 6 feet up (over the drive). I think the limb could go completely, though we would recommend that and bid it seperately (lot bigger than 8"). What do you guys think? The dead/injured area is marked in blue.

I totally understand if there isn't enough info. I'm just seeing the process you guys go through in deciding how much of a limb to keep and when to keep it.

I also just wanted to post our first tree pic. :)

Thanks again!

P.S. If you are looking for a chainsaw - we haven't bought an "in tree" one yet. Just got a stihl for ground cut ups - but none of us want to take it into the tree until we get better tree legs. Pretty heavy. Saving up for a in tree one. (Stihl 190 prolly)

Last edited:
Tried resizing it so you dont have to scroll. Wasn't sucessful. :(

The pic only shows about half of the tree btw. Big trunk with lots of main branch offs a few feet up. JP (climber) is about 35-40 feet up as far as we can tell.

Insom

How injured is the area in blue? I see some good upright laterals growing off of it. I'd take off the droopers to give the clearance and reduce the sprawlers but i would not remove the branch just because of a little crack or a little decay.

if that limb is 18+" dia. then the wound may never heal and the trunk would be hollow. A lot worse for the tree and the tree owner than a little injury way out on the periphery.

1)Put on your saddle 2) put on your sprurs 3) throw your steelcore around the tree, make sure both ends are attached to your saddle 4) walk up the tree. Buddy, do a few easy removals first, best yet head out into the bush and practice stripping and chunking a few trees, this will get you comfortable. Save all that fancy stuff for later, what you are describing is a gong show, why so complicated right away?

Clarence, try reading THE TREE CLIMBERS COMPANION, and A NEW TREE BIOLOGY. You might learn something. We could use another strong willed, intelligent guy in our field. Maybe you'll care.

clearance said:
1)Put on your saddle 2) put on your sprurs 3) throw your steelcore around the tree, make sure both ends are attached to your saddle 4) walk up the tree. Buddy, do a few easy removals first, best yet head out into the bush and practice stripping and chunking a few trees, this will get you comfortable. Save all that fancy stuff for later, what you are describing is a gong show, why so complicated right away?

I thought I was reading the ARBORIST 101 forum. Aren't Arborists professionals who care for trees? So, Clearance, please explain what it is you doing piping in on this tree care thread?
(Besides trolling for someone like me to take a bite)

It is good to get comfortable first, is it not?, the security of being well planted in a tree with spurs and a steelcore is confidence biulding. Check out the picture, looks like the guy is on his knees, just waiting to slip and get it in the nuts from the tree, besides, that tree looks kinda scummy anyways wouldn't kill it to spur it. Tomorrow my boss is getting a new guy to climb, hopefully we can make something out of him, then I am sure he will want to leave, go to the city, spurless, and work for half the money, I'll recommend the book to him.

I would probably remove the area in question completely back to the collar at the trunk(not pictured). Even if it was healthy, it seems to have a limited future as a side trunk/outward growing nuisance branch.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

How injured is the area in blue? I see some good upright laterals growing off of it. I'd take off the droopers to give the clearance and reduce the sprawlers but i would not remove the branch just because of a little crack or a little decay.

In essence, the only uninjured part is the droppers, except for one small branch towards the end. :(

if that limb is 18+" dia. then the wound may never heal and the trunk would be hollow. A lot worse for the tree and the tree owner than a little injury way out on the periphery. -- Yeah. Thats what where my catch 22 comes in. lol I thought I had a picture of the base, but I didn't know how to work our camera, and its actually a 5 second video.

I would probably remove the area in question completely back to the collar at the trunk(not pictured). Even if it was healthy, it seems to have a limited future as a side trunk/outward growing nuisance branch.

Thats exactly what we were thinking. Just wondering what everyone else thought from the limited info I could give them. (Since I am new ect...) Just trying to learn different thought processes (for trimming/pruning).

1)Put on your saddle 2) put on your sprurs 3) throw your steelcore around the tree, make sure both ends are attached to your saddle 4) walk up the tree.

No offense - but I dont have spurs. We are trimming/pruning trees in the above picture. Not removing it.

Buddy, do a few easy removals first, best yet head out into the bush and practice stripping and chunking a few trees, this will get you comfortable.

If you are saying I need experience in removals in order to properly trim...I dont get you. ;)

I have removed several trees. (Though it was from the ground). And trimmed big limbs off of several more. My dad lived on a farm - we still head up there and cut up firewood ect... We heat most of our house with an insert and have for several years. I have experience when it comes to killing a tree/limb. I dont have as much when it comes to trimming...so. Bluntly. I dont think what you are saying applies to my questions.

Save all that fancy stuff for later, what you are describing is a gong show, why so complicated right away?

I dont consider it complicated. :?? Anyways - it needs to be done. Its our job. Cant stop now. :p

the security of being well planted in a tree with spurs and a steelcore is confidence biulding.

Look back in the pic. You will find a the climbers line in a crotch (true, he isn't hanging from it in the picture) ...but you will also find a Steel core planted above him. His weight is actually being held by that... (trusting your ropes anyone?)

looks like the guy is on his knees

He was actually positioning himself at the moment of the picture if I remember right. Right foot is on a branch...he is moving his left foot up the limb in order to make another step up. He did have to work around that small dead upshoot.

that tree looks kinda scummy anyways wouldn't kill it to spur it.

All the trees there look scummy, thats why we are there. But I must ask...if there is trash in a parking lot - do you empty the trash that is in your truck in the parking lot? :greenchainsaw:

Back to the foot ascender question.

I have issolated the problem down to one thing.

I cant get the petzel foot ascender to stay position on the side of my foot. The straps pull out until the ascender is above my laces and almost as high as my ankle.

Anyone else have this problem?

The straps seem to be set up properly. So its killing me.

Until then -- still just using the prussik ect...

Insom

Foot Pantin

Some people sew them. I got the straps where I wanted them and put two nylocs or nyties, whatever you call them in your area, on the vertical strap, pulled them down tight, and it's never loosened.
Phil

If you sew them, then how do you get them on? *confused*

Could you send a pic/link to "two nylocs or nyties?" I have no idea what those are. lol

Thank you so much!

Insom

So you dont have any problem with the top strap coming loose?

Thanks alot for the help...

I have those nyties. Just didn't know what they were called. :)

No, not ever. Once the bottom strap stays put the top strap doesn't seem to work loose; at least on mine. They've been on in the rain and snow and haven't come loose yet. It's a quick fix if it works for you.
Phil

Latest posts

Back