Have I been robbed? Getting nervous.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stltreedr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I posted my new splitter build a couple months ago and have been keeping progress posted on AS. My last post was just before the splitter went to sandblast/powdercoat. I dropped it off on Monday, Dec. 17th and he said it would be done by that weekend. When I called him on Friday of that week, he said he was blasting it as we speak. I called 3X on the 28th and 29th and haven't gotten a return call. I guess I'll try again today...Maybe show up at his shop, but It's a good 30 miles.

The guy was a friend of my BIL, and used to work at an auto parts store that I frequented; he was cutting me a pretty good deal on the work so I don't want to pester him too much, but, Geez pick up the damn phone and give me peace of mind.

It is the holiday season don't forget. He might be away at relatives or just not working.
What might seem extremeley important to you is just another job to him.
It's probably done and waiting for you he is just "away" from work.
I get pretty anxious as well. Gotta give "benefit of the doubt"

people are flakes. Small businesses with an owner that has a reputation and something to lose will usually take care of you pretty good. The guy that set up a shop in his garage, that can't keep a job or business, and has no repeat business, will leave you high and dry all the time. I had my pontoon re-upholstered last summer. It was supposed to be done by June 1, I didn't get on the water until August 8th. Every time I showed up he was "real busy" and usually smelled like weed.
And never pay in advance. I don't even pay half for materials any more. Show me the bill for materials, and I will pay that. I'll pay for all the work when it is done.

I havent paid him anything yet...Just the fact that he has the thing that I:
1.)have 40+hrs and $3500 bucks in
2.) could really use right now

FYI I just called again, and now sent a text. We'll see where that takes us.

My experience is that people who give me a really good deal don't work on my schedule.

Mr. HE:cool:

I hear what you're saying... but i didnt set the price, or the timeline. I really wouldnt be upset if he called and said it would be another week...as long as he would call

You get what you pay for in life......

Sometimes the great deal isnt worth the problems that come with it........

I would be on my way there soon.

Craig

Ok, so I drove up there at lunchtime. Gates are closed and locked. No cars around. Called again, no answer. How long should i wait before calling you the police department?

Any sign in the window, or on the answering machine, stating holiday hours?

I would give it at least until Friday before checking in with local law enforcement.
That call may ruin your relationship with a number of folks. I'd try to be sure before making it.

Back