HB1300 wood usage/effectiveness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My house is 1250sqft 4" insulated walls with R38 through 3/4 of the attic (still not finished with the whole thing). It's a brick ranch situated east/west with houses 15' on either side.
How much wood are you going through per day?

I was in SC the last week and came home to a balmy 58 in the house - right where I left the NGFA unit. Wanting quick heat and having no wood in the house I put it up to 65 and had dinner. An hour later it was at 65 and I turned it off.

I fired up the Hotblast 1300 and it took about 3 hours to get to 67. Went to bed with a full load of ash/beech and a flue temp of 650 and woke up 8 hours later to a 63f house.

I knew when I got the hotblast (used 2 years $350 delivered with new firebrick) that it was of ancient design and would burn through wood in a rather inefficient manner. Maybe when I get the baro damper it will help with this but I'm stuck with the hotblast for awhile.

I'm not sure I can get a permit for a new installation being in the city, and I don't have a woodlot so all wood is scrounged. These are reasons I didn't go with something more expensive - if I can't get the wood free there's no point as NG is pretty darn cheap right now.

Just venting a little. I'm 1/3 way through my wood pile which is a mix of willow, ash, beech, box elder, and a little pine. An average day in the teens/20's sees me use at least a heaping wheelbarrow full plus enough kindling to start the fire at least 2x. I have another cord+ at the bottom of the hill of 3/4 seasoned willow/ash/box elder that I can haul up if needed.

I have about 10cord of ash, beech, and oak that I have to figure how to dry for the next 2 years so I should go through less using that if I can get it to dry properly . :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back