HD 6421 $50 score.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jar, make sure the cable by the carb is tucked into its pocket and not hanging up outside it, it will make the cable seem to short.
Is that an epoxied carb?? That will be another hickup if it is but not undoable....just a little time to clean it up and make it adjustable.

Thinking you better sent it my way......needs a lotta work!!! Lol

Nice score, I hear ya man, I pretty much gave my dad my 61 white top I got for free, 2 conditions, I get it back when it blows, and 2 replace the original 1978 bar and chain, you scored the frickin deal of the year there super clean man

Yep, that is the perfect makita score. Leave it alone and run it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that is the perfect makita score. Leave it alone and run it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately its not in my nature to leave anything alone. Between the three saws I have six top ends, three of which are 7900s.:laugh:

Yeap you definately suck! Wish i had a home depot with a tool rental near me.:(

It is convenient, and less than a mile away from my house.

Jar, make sure the cable by the carb is tucked into its pocket and not hanging up ouutsdide it, it will make the cable seem to short.
Is that an epoxied carb?? That will be another hickup if it is but not undoable....just a little time to clean it up and make it adjustable.

Thinking you better sent it my way......needs a lotta work!!! Lol

Yeah I didn't check the routing, I'll give it a once over when i pull the carb. As for the carb, I'm not sure whats going on there. The big aluminum chunk where the H&L should be kinda threw me off.

Unfortunately its not in my nature to leave anything alone. Between the three saws I have six top ends, three of which are 7900s.:laugh:

It is convenient, and less than a mile away from my house.
If I were that close to one they would have to run me off at closing time.nearest for me is 40 miles.I have to settle with lowes at 20 miles.

Jar, make sure the cable by the carb is tucked into its pocket and not hanging up ouutsdide it, it will make the cable seem to short.

You were correct on both accounts. The end of the cable sheath was goobered up and not allowing it to fully seat. it also has a epoxy covering...

Both pretty easy fixes. I'd take the carb off and fix the pocket where the throttle cable goes then tie into the carb. Nate,( fordF150) did a how to on this a little while back.
I Dremel out what I can, score the sides with a cutoff Dremal wheel then take side cutters to snip off chunks. Hard to get things started but gets easier as you go. Then just clean it up with a pick...you will have a TOTALLY adjustable carb!!

You really don't have to wory about cutting springs or anything thats in the epoxy as the side cutters just kinda slide off them. You'll get the aluminum casing off along with the epoxy in chunks and pretty much uncovers the needles and springs. Look at is as an archialogical project.

Both pretty easy fixes. I'd take the carb off and fix the pocket where the throttle cable goes then tie into the carb. Nate,( fordF150) did a how to on this a little while back.
I Dremel out what I can, score the sides with a cutoff Dremal wheel then take side cutters to snip off chunks. Hard to get things started but gets easier as you go. Then just clean it up with a pick...you will have a TOTALLY adjustable carb!!

You really don't have to wory about cutting springs or anything thats in the epoxy as the side cutters just kinda slide off them. You'll get the aluminum casing off along with the epoxy in chunks and pretty much uncovers the needles and springs. Look at is as an archialogical project.

I hit the epoxy last night really quick with a carbide burr and was able to back the screw out. Its still captured in the aluminum though, so Ill try cutting it out tonight

The carb shows some use, more than the rest of the saw.

cable

carb

and this thing leaks bar oil like a sieve. I guess i'll be fixing the pump body shortly as to not cover my floor in oil.

Good job!!!
Ya for some reason they seem to leak bar oil. Does it have the green updated lines? Installing them ALWAYS helps. My last build of a 7900 did stop leaking though until I ran it some......now not a drop.

I'm still scratching my head on how you got those needles out....lol

Good job!!!
Ya for some reason they seem to leak bar oil. Does it have the green updated lines? Installing them ALWAYS helps. My last build of a 7900 did stop leaking though until I ran it some......now not a drop.

I'm still scratching my head on how you got those needles out....lol
I used a flat cylinder carbide burr to cut the epoxy until i hit the needle, then a pointed burr to clean out the slot and around the circumference of the needle. It took maybe 5 minutes total including removing the carb.

Latest posts

Back