Headache Rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I won't be making my own...out of angle bar or old pallets.

Where or who sells headache racks? Do any of our sponsors sell them? Pep or the Zone? I have never seen them for sale but I could sure use one on my truck. I bounced another log off my rear glass again. That is three times in one year. Sooner or later it is going to find its way inside my cab!:dizzy:

I would go to a farm supply store, they might beable to point you in the right direction. The cheaper it is made the easyer it will bend. Do you have any tractor supply shops locally around. I was in a Western Star dealership today and they had advertisements sitting on the counter for companies that sell/ or make the headache racks.

Beefie

back in the day...

A "headache" rack used to refer to a shelf built over the cab of the truck to stack hay, etc on.

On the old A-frame line trucks, it was across the back of the truck, the boom pivoted on it. Climbing up into the back of the truck, it was pretty easy to bask one's head on it. Back in those days, hardhats weren't always worn. To call something you can't bash your head on [a cab/window guard] a headache rack is kind of pointless? :dizzy: Yes / No?

I just took a look at some online and WOW!! kinda pricey and lots of bling.
I did find some regular everyday ones for about $260.

If I was going to have one I'd probably build it myself. Maybe use 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe for the frame and expanded metal to cover the area your wanting protected. A shot of rattle can and call it a day. Can't see spending $260 plus shipping for something I'm gonna bash with chunks of firewood. But then again..look at my wood truck LOL

Look up a company named ProTech. Their factory is in LaVergne, TN. They built a rack for one of our flatbed trucks at work, and did an excellent job. I'd put one of their racks, or complete truck beds on any of my rigs.

Here's a link I found, as plain or fancy as you want to pay for: http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Headache_racks/headache_racks_by_Go.htm

I prefer my "homemade" (well, my design and cut all the pieces at work) rack. After a year of heavy use, the rattle can paint has some dings, and a minor dent from the ATV bumper, but it still looks nicer than the rest of the truck.

attachment.php

western hauler makes a very nice headache rack.

contoured to the back of your cab.

100_1963.jpg

www.mainetruckracks.com

awsome rack for canoes, ladders, etc. thier screen doesnt cover the whole rear window but that can be modified at home, or special ordered.

my ranger carries a homade copy of one of these, with no screen at all. still lookin for a deal on some screening.

When I saw the price on a aftermarket headach rack I decided to build my own. I wanst looking to protect the window so much as I dont haul wood with this truck yet I just didnt want the light bar on the roof tearing up the paint.

I used some cold rolled for the base, 2" conduit for the uprights and a couple pieced of angle for the top. The only gripe I had with factory racks was they all stick up to at least the top of the cab, great for protecting the window and all but I didnt want the light bar up that high. In a few years when I start using this truck for more hauling I think I'll put some expanded steel into the rack to protect the window.

Building this myself I also didnt have to drill any holes in the bed, I used the factory mounting holes for GMs cargo managment system. When I take the rack off there is no evidence that it was ever on there.

101_2248.jpg

Back